Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"My Child Won't Go To Sleep At Night"
DanceMom 11:21 AM 03-11-2015
Why is that ALWAYS daycare's fault?? The 10 yrs I have been licensed this is my biggest struggle with parents! They always, no matter how young, never want their kid to take a nap or only a 30 min one or whatever.

I got to the point that I have to lie and say so and so didn't nap today, when they still did, just to get the parent to be quiet!!! Funny thhing is the next day they drop off and tell me how so and so went right to bed last night because of no nap.. Uh huh...

I've sent sleep recommendations by doctors era etc to parents - they don't get it and they don't care.
Jack Sprat 11:28 AM 03-11-2015
"I'm sorry but, state regs require that each child is given the opportunity to rest. If Suzie falls asleep within 10 minutes I won't wake her up. Her body is obviously saying she needs sleep. Would you like some ideas you could use to help her at night?" Say this..
finsup 11:30 AM 03-11-2015
Oh yeah, they don't sleep at home...daycares fault. Came home grumpy, daycares fault. Came home wound up must be too chaotic at daycare...I've heard them all the sleep thing I just say "all children rest from 11:30-2:30 they do not have to fall asleep but if they do I won't wake them. Is that something you're olk wit or would you like to pick up at 11:30?"
Meyou 05:08 AM 03-12-2015
"I'm sorry to hear that. Have you established a great bedtime routine including a walk or playtime outside after dinner? Fresh air can work wonders. Let me know how that goes."
permanentvacation 05:44 AM 03-12-2015
I've actually done that. I've lied to a parent or two who kept claiming that the naps here make their child not sleep at night. So I told them that I didn't make the child take a nap with the others (even though they really took their full naps every day). Within 3 days, every parent told me that since their child wasn't napping here, they were sleeping perfectly all night long at home!
Unregistered 06:06 AM 03-12-2015
I just always assume that it's a behavior issue vs. an issue of not being tired since they always act exhausted at 5:30!
mommyneedsadayoff 06:31 AM 03-12-2015
I don't think some parents understand that healthy sleep is so important and it affects so many things, like behavior, eating habits, immune health, brain function, motor skills, ect. They could eliminate more than half the issues they are having with their child simply by having a firm nap and bed time routine. If I skipped naps for most of the kids I have ever cared for, they would be cranky and difficult all day and be exhausted and ready for bed by 5:30. Parents take them home and put them to bed asap, kid is up early and promptly brought to daycare where I would get to deal with them for 10+ hours with no break for them or me and basically no one on one time with their parents. Sounds awesome!! Not!
Unregistered 09:03 AM 03-12-2015
With daycare providers lying it just reinforces their ideas.....
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
With daycare providers lying it just reinforces their ideas.....
I agree. I usually just scroll by the thread once someone suggests just telling a parent what they want to hear because ethically, I have a hard time with that and I believe open honest communication is KEY to a successful working relationship.

If a client of mine came to me and told me they had sleep issues with their child at night, I would be perfectly willing to discuss resources and information I have about how much sleep a kid needs as well as what things a parent can do to make bedtime a better routine etc etc but I still would not budge on my policy that everyone enrolled must participate with rest time and if a parent doesn't or can't agree with that, then it would be time to part ways and find care that works for what they need as a family.

I don't want a parent to lie to me so I think it goes both ways.
Crystal 02:08 PM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree. I usually just scroll by the thread once someone suggests just telling a parent what they want to hear because ethically, I have a hard time with that and I believe open honest communication is KEY to a successful working relationship.

If a client of mine came to me and told me they had sleep issues with their child at night, I would be perfectly willing to discuss resources and information I have about how much sleep a kid needs as well as what things a parent can do to make bedtime a better routine etc etc but I still would not budge on my policy that everyone enrolled must participate with rest time and if a parent doesn't or can't agree with that, then it would be time to part ways and find care that works for what they need as a family.

Starburst 02:30 PM 03-12-2015
Chances are they are trying to put the child to bed too early (after dinner) or they expect the child to sleep 12 hours straight at night uninterrupted.
Unregistered 04:13 PM 03-12-2015
The families I have are the opposite. They want their kids to nap here because if they don't they are cranky and grumpy when they get home. My dc parents seem to have a hard time putting their kids down for nap because they always ask what I do to get them to sleep. My nap time expectations is one of the main things I talk about during an interview.
jgcp 08:55 AM 03-13-2015
I have been asked so many times by one dcp that her dd only sleep for 1 hour. Nope not gonna wake her if shes snoozing she obviously needs it and when dcm dosnt put her to bed till 1130 ( shes one of those moms who has working mom guilt) Im letting her sleep as long as she needs and i told her that! Im always sending her stuff on how much sleep children need... She says what she needs to say to feel better, but so do I on this one... Im not a push over on this subject naps/rest time is no negotiation here....
Heidi 02:13 PM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:

Heidi 02:14 PM 03-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Haha...I "liked" the wrong post...QIP liking BC's post. TGIF!
Unregistered 09:12 PM 03-19-2015
Frankly, I can't concern myself with how parents handle bedtime at home. I can give advice (and do when I'm asked) but if parents won't follow it, then that is not my problem.

Sometimes parents seem to forget that we are mandated by the state we live in to have a rest time. In my experience, kids fall asleep. They fall asleep because they're tired and they need the sleep. We have busy days here and they love nap time because they're wiped out.

Kids need more sleep than adults and that's a scientific fact. When children are sleep deprived, they tend to be sick more often and have a tougher time in school.

If the parents are committed to having a smooth bedtime, then they need to do what most of us do: be consistent! That's what works.
Angelsj 01:47 PM 03-23-2015
"Wow, that must really be annoying. And strange, because Little Billy sleeps great here. Why don't you tell me about your bedtime routine, and we will see if we can find the problem?"

Don't own it. It isn't your problem, but if they want some help finding a solution, why not?
Gemma 05:52 PM 03-23-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The families I have are the opposite. They want their kids to nap here because if they don't they are cranky and grumpy when they get home. .
mine tells me the same.
Reply Up