Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is A Type of Pox Virus Contagious?
Crazy Baby 12:12 PM 05-21-2015
One of my day care kids came in today with oozing blisters on his arms. I texted the parent to ask about it and they said that the doctor says it is no big deal and not contagious. The parent couldn't give me the specific name of it but said that it is a type of pox. After further examining the kid, it is also on the torso. The parents did not mention it to me at all when dropping off.

I am a little peeved and am hoping that it is not contagious. I have a hard time believing that a virus with oozing blisters cannot be passed onto others.

Anybody know anything about this?

Should I do anything about it? I figure at this point if it is contagious we have all already been exposed to it.
Angelsj 12:33 PM 05-21-2015
I would ask for more specifics. Name of virus, etc. I also don't know of an oozing virus pox that would not be contagious. At least until the oozing stops.
AmyKidsCo 12:42 PM 05-21-2015
Honestly, if it's open and oozing I wouldn't accept the child for care, even if a Dr's note says it's not contagious, because anything that's open and oozing isn't sanitary.
Crazy Baby 12:43 PM 05-21-2015
Yeah, that's what I am thinking. I cannot get a name out of the parents. They say that they will have to ask the doctor.
NeedaVaca 12:44 PM 05-21-2015
Heck no! Send home and do not allow back without Dr. note with diagnosis! You don't even have a Dr's note, only what the parent has said...
Crazy Baby 12:46 PM 05-21-2015
Well, the kid has already been here all day. I didn't notice the blisters until I was pulling up the sleeves to eat. We've all been exposed to it at this point. Luckily I only have this child one day per week.
Baby Beluga 01:19 PM 05-21-2015
Boy this was the wrong thread to read while eating...
daycare 01:29 PM 05-21-2015
I don't do rashes.

Child would need to go to the doctor get diagnosis and then I decide if they can come back to care or not. It's not up to the doctor.

No diagnosis no entry into care.
Crazy Baby 01:38 PM 05-21-2015
Apparently there is a diagnosis, the parent just "can't remember, it is very long."
daycare 01:40 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy Baby:
Apparently there is a diagnosis, the parent just "can't remember, it is very long."
Require a doctors note of diagnosis.

Don't rely on the parents to relay the info.
NeedaVaca 01:42 PM 05-21-2015
I hope it's not molluscum contagiosum...super contagious and can last for a very long time.
hope 01:43 PM 05-21-2015
I am appalled that they sent dcb with something "oozing" and only covered with clothing. That's just gross. Honestly, would they want someone ozzing all over their home or office?
Second Home 02:16 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Honestly, if it's open and oozing I wouldn't accept the child for care, even if a Dr's note says it's not contagious, because anything that's open and oozing isn't sanitary.
This exactly . I would send home until the oozing is done .
Crazy8 02:23 PM 05-21-2015
I'm guessing molluscum contagiosum. It is contagious by contact and can last for months. I wouldn't exclude for it but they need to remain covered AT ALL TIMES while in care. But I've never seen them open and oozing, probably from scratching at them - that I may make them stay home until they heal up a bit and then they must be completely covered!!!
hope 05:03 PM 05-21-2015
I do love my job but have to chuckle when I think about what we as providers deal with on a daily basis. How many people go to work and have to worry about getting oozed on?
Silly Songs 11:34 PM 05-21-2015
Did you get a diagnosis ? As a parent , I'd be very upset if another child had some oozing sores and wasn't sent home !
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:23 AM 05-22-2015
I have a 1yo at my dc this week that started with a rash on Tu night, so came in Wed morning with it, just on his trunk area front and back. I told DCM I thought it looked like heat rash, no biggie. The rash persisted all day, spreading to his diaper area, neck, and half-dollar size spot on one wrist. No other symptoms or grouchiness or anything. Didn't even seem to itch him.

Still there Th morn, spread to arms and upper thighs, so I asked DCM to call his doctor and ask if he should be seen. She did, and took him in. They said it was a virus that needed to run it's course, and was fine to return to dc.

I thought that it was so weird. We have such weird viruses these days, with odd side affects. And the dr's always say it's okay for dc, but I just don't see how if it's a virus, how it can't be contagious. If it isn't contagious, how did the child get it in the first place?! I just spray some Lysol and say a prayer that me or my family doesn't have a ruined wknd all the time!

Has anyone on here had a kid with a rash like that? It looked just like heat rash, - or Roseolla (sp.) from running a fever - but didn't clear up quickly, and had no fever or any other symptom what-so-ever?
Unregistered 07:59 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I have a 1yo at my dc this week that started with a rash on Tu night, so came in Wed morning with it, just on his trunk area front and back. I told DCM I thought it looked like heat rash, no biggie. The rash persisted all day, spreading to his diaper area, neck, and half-dollar size spot on one wrist. No other symptoms or grouchiness or anything. Didn't even seem to itch him.

Still there Th morn, spread to arms and upper thighs, so I asked DCM to call his doctor and ask if he should be seen. She did, and took him in. They said it was a virus that needed to run it's course, and was fine to return to dc.

I thought that it was so weird. We have such weird viruses these days, with odd side affects. And the dr's always say it's okay for dc, but I just don't see how if it's a virus, how it can't be contagious. If it isn't contagious, how did the child get it in the first place?! I just spray some Lysol and say a prayer that me or my family doesn't have a ruined wknd all the time!

Has anyone on here had a kid with a rash like that? It looked just like heat rash, - or Roseolla (sp.) from running a fever - but didn't clear up quickly, and had no fever or any other symptom what-so-ever?
My daughter had the same thing. Looked like heat rash and was on her tummy, back and upper thighs. My doc actually grabbed a medical book to see exactly what it was and it was a viral rash. About a week later, it was all gone.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:14 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My daughter had the same thing. Looked like heat rash and was on her tummy, back and upper thighs. My doc actually grabbed a medical book to see exactly what it was and it was a viral rash. About a week later, it was all gone.
So just like a cold virus or something? Inconvenient but nothing to worry about? How strange. It kinda makes me worry what viruses are morphing into, and the likelihood of a contagion outbreak that threatens humanity all the more likely to happen. And I probably read and watch way too many dystopian society stories and shows.
Unregistered 08:27 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
So just like a cold virus or something? Inconvenient but nothing to worry about? How strange. It kinda makes me worry what viruses are morphing into, and the likelihood of a contagion outbreak that threatens humanity all the more likely to happen. And I probably read and watch way too many dystopian society stories and shows.
Yes she started off with a runny nose and cough and then the rash appeared one morning and I thought it was heat rash, because she did run a little fever and when it broke, I thought the sweat and heat left her with the rash. But it kept spreading so I took her to the pedi and he said it was a viral rash (some name for it, but can't remember). He said there wasn't much he could do for it and it would go away on its own, which it did. I would guess the contagiousness of it is probably the same as the viral cold or something. It didn't have open sores or puss or anything, so I just rubbed coconut oil on it after baths and it cleared up totally after 4 or 5 days or so. I am slightly hypochondriac, though, so it totally freaked me out too
Reply Up