Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This OK or Would It Be Unethical?
NeedaVaca 09:51 AM 05-21-2015
I have been pondering a situation and want your input. I have several DCK's leaving in August for Kindergarten. The rest of the DCK's that will be with me for the remaining year(s) will not be in attendance on Monday or Friday for a couple months this summer. I have 5 personal days per year. Would you use 2 personal days (a Monday & Friday) but not actually "count" them since the kids that are leaving it won't matter and the kids that are staying it won't affect? Those families staying wouldn't even know about the days off because they wouldn't be in attendance those days. What are your thoughts? I've never had a situation like this and have been debating with myself! Hope this makes sense!
Rachel 09:57 AM 05-21-2015
People find out. Do the kids who come 3x a week only pay for the 3x, or do they pay for all 5 days but only come on the 3? I totally get wanting the extra time off, but I am always a fan of playing it honest. How many kids are in care Monday & Friday. Could you take the days as unpaid days.
NeedaVaca 10:03 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Rachel:
People find out. Do the kids who come 3x a week only pay for the 3x, or do they pay for all 5 days but only come on the 3? I totally get wanting the extra time off, but I am always a fan of playing it honest. How many kids are in care Monday & Friday. Could you take the days as unpaid days.
No, my families are all contracted for the days they attend. I get paid 52 weeks per year by everyone. I think it's just an odd situation for sure.
daycare 10:09 AM 05-21-2015
so basically you will only have kids tue-thurs??
NeedaVaca 10:14 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
so basically you will only have kids tue-thurs??
Yes except for the 3 kiddos leaving in August. I haven't used any personal days this year and generally use them over the Christmas Holidays. So I get 5 per year, the kids leaving in August I would use 2 for and then use the same 2 for the kids not in attendance Monday & Friday later in the year.
AmyKidsCo 01:08 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Yes except for the 3 kiddos leaving in August. I haven't used any personal days this year and generally use them over the Christmas Holidays. So I get 5 per year, the kids leaving in August I would use 2 for and then use the same 2 for the kids not in attendance Monday & Friday later in the year.
Since the TWR children aren't paying for MF I'd use 2 days now, then use 2 more again later in the year. If they were paying for MF they'd be paying for those personal days, but they're not so it won't affect them.
NeedaVaca 01:38 PM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Since the TWR children aren't paying for MF I'd use 2 days now, then use 2 more again later in the year. If they were paying for MF they'd be paying for those personal days, but they're not so it won't affect them.
This is what I was thinking, but I guess I was over thinking it because I'm getting bonus days!!
284878 04:53 AM 05-22-2015
This is why I didn't think having personal days make sense.
If family A is with you in jan through march and family b is march through present. You used a day a month, than you used 3 per each family but 5 total. can you use more? Since family b only know about and were effect by 3.

I mean if you had a job that gave five days and you used them then got another job offering five more, could you use them? Yes how is this different.

Guess it depends on how you word it in your contract.
hope 05:16 AM 05-22-2015
Can you use certain amount of personal days per family verses per calendar year? PP makes a good point. You are losing out if it is per calendar year.
Play Care 05:19 AM 05-22-2015
If I'm understanding correctly, you wouldn't have children in attendance those days?

I have a lot of teacher clients and typically wind up with days like in the summer where no one is scheduled. I usually just amend my schedule and let everyone know I won't be avalible those days - no using up paid personal days for that. In fact, I was closed every Friday last July and August and a will be again this year because of a siimilar situation. All my clients understood why, and no one felt I should use my personal days for that.
originalkat 06:23 AM 05-22-2015
Personally, I would not over think this one. Use the personal days for the kids who are in attendance on those days. I would still use the days later in the year. No biggie IMO as long as a family is not paying for more than the designated number of personal days.
Unregistered 06:52 AM 05-22-2015
you have 5 personal days per contract right? If so how is it unethical? enjoy your days off
childcaremom 07:58 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
you have 5 personal days per contract right? If so how is it unethical? enjoy your days off

NeedaVaca 08:37 AM 05-22-2015
I guess the reason I've been overthinking this is because in the 6 years I've been in business nothing like this has ever happened. I have always been full, maybe lose a kid here and there but my yearly paid personal days and holidays stayed the same no matter what because of all the kids that were with me year round. I only used 5 personal days, 2 weeks vacation for the whole year.

In this case, I am losing ton of kids to Kindergarten in the fall and the only kids that are staying for the full year will not be here Mon/Friday for a couple of months this summer. So I will be using personal days on a couple Mon/Fridays for JUST the kids that are leaving and then use those same days AGAIN in December. Sorry for so much confusion!!
NeedaVaca 08:39 AM 05-22-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Personally, I would not over think this one. Use the personal days for the kids who are in attendance on those days. I would still use the days later in the year. No biggie IMO as long as a family is not paying for more than the designated number of personal days.

Crazy8 12:46 PM 05-22-2015
I don't think its unethical. I look at it as every family that signs your contract agrees to giving you 5 personal days. If the kids who are leaving in Sept. did not already pay you for 5 days this year I would go ahead and take them no problem!

One year I took a 2nd vacation week in a year so the people who had been with me all year did not have to pay for that week but the children who had started later in the year did.
crazydaycarelady 01:43 PM 05-22-2015
I'm not quite sure I understand but it is none of anyone's business what you do on days you have not obligated yourself to care for children. Have them off and use your personal days for days when you need to take off.
Reply Up