Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Ideas!!
Momof2Boys 08:14 PM 01-21-2011
I have posted a few times and have really appreciated the help I've received so far!! I currently have two boys of my own, a 3 year old (4 in March) and a 15 month old, and care for two other 3 year olds (one will be 4 in April, and the other just turned 3 in November), and a 10 month old.

I need ideas on what activities to do with the 3 older boys. They are full of energy and can't sit still for very long, but I would love things to do that involve them working together, or even independently. They are all at the age that they love to argue, and look for ways to pick fights, so I need something more fun, and less irritating, than that!

Also, what are some ways I can start preschool-like curriculum with them? I don't want anything that has to be planned out, or that takes a lot of time, just something I can spend a little bit of time with them each day teaching them their letters and numbers, and showing them how to write them.

Anyway, I hope this all made sense, and really appreciate any suggestions/advise/etc!
Abigail 11:10 PM 01-21-2011
I don't want to spend a ton of time planning either. I'm going to hang up a letter, probably starting with A as it makes sense and do a letter a day and maybe use Friday to review all four letters so I can keep the group up with remembering. Then, I would probably create a "free choice" activity that relates to the letter and/or number if we introduce a number. Numbers I would choose randomly so I would end up with all ten for sure which would only take 2 weeks, 3 at most. For example, it's day three so you're on letter "C". Your "Free choice" is actually your free choice for an acitivity. If you go for a walk, you can ask them to find things that start with a C like Car, Cat, Candy, Colors...even something just around the daycare room. Then, if you're on number 6, you can ask them to find six things that start with a C (which may not be likely unless you're looking for six cars or have them draw six cats, cards, cars, etc.) so you could just no link the two together and have the kids draw six of something. It's fairly simple and easy to think on your feet.

I would do numbers 1-20, but focus on 1-10 and include the number 0 because most charts start at 1 and not 0. I would do the alphabet in order (or just choose random letters too! but I'm OCD and need to have it hung up in order on my wall each day as a I go. I would also add shapes and colors of the day or week....however you do it.
MG&Lsmom 06:14 AM 01-22-2011
This is the curriculum I used with my girls and what I plan on using with my daycare kids. I just haven't started using it because getting 2 year olds to sit is pretty impossible. BTW, I omit the religious stuff. But I found having it all right there and done for me easier than trying to make my own.

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/
lvt77 06:41 AM 01-22-2011
most of the programs that I use are on the costly side.
you can google these:

I use Mother Goose TIme not too expensive, it is preplanned and all written out for you, you just have to follow the lesson plan book for you. Most of the suplies are included in a daily packet and you have nothing to sort or cut out... I like it ok, not my personal fav., but the parents seem to enjoy seeing all the little projects that get sent home daily. Warning its a lot of paper mess...lol

I also teach Zoo phonics, pricy, but worth every penny.
I used to teach high scope, its ok just like other programs better

funshine express, the learning box, and reach for the stars

I would go online and look at free printables... like the mailbox.com
there are a lot of other website online that you can print for free, but I cant think of them off the top of my head..

hope this helped some
lvt77 08:59 AM 01-22-2011
I wrote a whole listof programs and ideas but for some reason it did not post??

paid:

Try Mother goose time, reach for the stars, zoo phonics, and Ill get back to you on the rest..

free: the mail box.com all kids network.com
VanessaEO 10:58 AM 01-22-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
This is the curriculum I used with my girls and what I plan on using with my daycare kids. I just haven't started using it because getting 2 year olds to sit is pretty impossible. BTW, I omit the religious stuff. But I found having it all right there and done for me easier than trying to make my own.

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/
I've used this too and really liked it. Its already put together, so easy to use.
Tags:activities
Reply Up