Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher Schedule
Unregistered 08:59 AM 07-09-2018
Have any of you ever changed your program to follow a teacher schedule? How did you make the transition? How did dcps respond?
KiwiKids 09:15 AM 07-09-2018
I did it super slowly over the course of 2 years. I tend to have families long term so as their kids aged out I replaced with teacher families. I do work during the summer but on a shortened week/hours with a smaller group. My own kids are all school aged so working more of a school year schedule just fits the stage of life I’m at right now.
Indoorvoice 09:42 AM 07-09-2018
I also did it slowly. I gradually started taking more school vacations off and as I replaced families, I either replaced with a teacher, or made clear I followed the school schedule for non teachers. I figured it shouldn't be that big of a deal since they have to figure out care for when their children are in school anyway.
hwichlaz 10:03 AM 07-09-2018
No, I can’t afford to take 4-6 weeks off in a chunk, and charging more to cover it wouldn’t fly here. Teachers are cheapskates, lol.
Unregistered 11:11 AM 07-09-2018
OP here: I would probably close June and July without pay but be paid for all other weeks of the year. I think we could swing it financially. My husband earns decent money. I currently have two teacher’s kids enrolled so I’m halfway there already. I think I might make the switch next summer.
LittleScholars 09:20 AM 07-10-2018
I'm (mostly) making the leap next summer. I renew contracts/update handbooks each summer, so families anticipate that changes will be rolled out then. I notified families that beginning summer 2019 I would only be offering a variety of drop-in days (details are a bit TBD and will be rolled out in a few months), which wouldn't be conducive to full time care. Parents have the option to find alternative summer care and remain enrolled or find something else entirely.

Luckily, this was a good time for me to do this, as I have a SUPER light summer right now due to an increased number of teachers' kiddos. Next summer I want light, but on my terms. I'll have a 7 month old and 2 year old of my own then, so I don't want to eliminate the program, but I want to free myself up a bit more.

Beginning fall 2019 I'll close for either 2-3 days/week during school breaks, as well, and the full Christmas break.
Indoorvoice 10:07 AM 07-10-2018
My parents pay through the summer to hold their spot with the option to come up to 3 days a week that they need to schedule in advance. I end up having a few days off a week, a lighter load on my work days, and still make the same all year. It ended up being worth it for my sanity. I sell being charged through the summer as their yearly tuition and show them that they aren't technically paying for their days off, that it is just spread evenly through the year.
Unregistered 04:17 AM 10-09-2018
I'm doing this this summer closing end of June and reopening mid August. Haven't told parents yet was thinking of letting them know beginning of the year. They will need to let me know by June 1st with a 2 week deposit if they want to come back in August.
Reply Up