Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging For Holidays Explanation Question
Unregistered 01:53 PM 11-11-2013
How do I explain to parents the reasoning why I charge for holidays that I take off (ex. Christmas Eve & Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Labor Day & Memorial Day, etc)? I explained in my parent handbook that I don't charge for the one spring break week that I take off during the year, since it's my only vacation time, but I expect to be paid for the full month even if their is a holiday during that month. How can I explain this is normal operating procedure at most, if not all daycares/ home daycares?
Cradle2crayons 01:54 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do I explain to parents the reasoning why I charge for holidays that I take off (ex. Christmas Eve & Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Labor Day & Memorial Day, etc)? I explained in my parent handbook that I don't charge for the one spring break week that I take off during the year, since it's my only vacation time, but I expect to be paid for the full month even if their is a holiday during that month. How can I explain this is normal operating procedure at most, if not all daycares/ home daycares?
I don't explain. I tell them the days I take off are to spend with my own family, for down time, so that I can be the best provider I can be
TwinKristi 02:00 PM 11-11-2013
Because you charge based on enrollment, not attendance. I personally only charge for the actual holiday, not the day before or after that I'm closed. I also don't charge for my vacation time as I understand they'll need to pay for alternate care during that time. Some people take 2 weeks of PAID vacation as well as MANY holidays paid. I only close for handful of the major holidays, but I'm open on days like today, President's Day, etc. but am closed and paid on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day, the Monday after Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. But I close Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving unpaid. This year I'm taking off like 2 whole weeks because I don't even have DCKs here that need care!!
Barb1719 02:23 PM 11-11-2013
Thank you for the information.
permanentvacation 02:27 PM 11-11-2013
I don't explain it to parents unless they fuss about it. At first, I simply tell them that I will be closed on such and such holiday, which will be a paid holiday. If the parent fusses about paying me for the holiday, I explain that I have been in this business for 25 years, and that if they worked for Walmart, or had some office job for 25 years, they would receive paid holidays. Some parents then understand and agree to pay for the holiday. However, some then start on the 'but you OWN this business, you are not my paid employee. If they start on that kick, I just tell them, "fine, don't worry about paying me." I figure that the majority of my parents are okay with paying me for days off, so I don't fuss about the one or two that have a problem with it. Honestly, I can see it both ways. So I don't make a big deal about it.
cara041083 02:29 PM 11-11-2013
I wouldn't explain anything! You should get your paid holidays, vacation, and personal days just like they do at there job. In my contract I take just the major holidays, 1 week vacation, and 3 personal days. If I have to close in the event of emergency, or sickness then I will credit them those days. They get it at there job and so should you.
Blackcat31 02:31 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Barb1719:
Thank you for the information.
Welcome to the forum!
CrackerJacks 02:35 PM 11-11-2013
I don't explain either. I feel there is no need for explanation. Before they sign the contract they are given the "Provider Paid Holiday/Vacation Schedule". If they question "why?" I take those holidays/vacation days, I simply say because "those are my holidays and vacation days" and I know that if they are asking for an explanation they probably are not a good fit.
Heidi 02:49 PM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I don't explain it to parents unless they fuss about it. At first, I simply tell them that I will be closed on such and such holiday, which will be a paid holiday. If the parent fusses about paying me for the holiday, I explain that I have been in this business for 25 years, and that if they worked for Walmart, or had some office job for 25 years, they would receive paid holidays. Some parents then understand and agree to pay for the holiday. However, some then start on the 'but you OWN this business, you are not my paid employee. If they start on that kick, I just tell them, "fine, don't worry about paying me." I figure that the majority of my parents are okay with paying me for days off, so I don't fuss about the one or two that have a problem with it. Honestly, I can see it both ways. So I don't make a big deal about it.
I don't usually have to explain it, either. Even the centers here charge for Holidays, I think.

As for a paid vacation, my sister gets 3 weeks per year. Her justification is that she's been a provider for 23 years. I personally believe that's pushing it, because she hasn't worked for THESE parent's for 23 years. But, she lives in a big city and people will pay it. I think one COULD argue that if you didn't charge for holidays or vacations, you would have to raise hourly rates instead in order to "meet my fiscal budget" or something along those lines. We may be only one person running a business, but we are a business, and our employees (ha ha...us) need to get paid a fair living wage.
Annalee 03:08 PM 11-11-2013
I agree! The contracted hours/vacation/payment, etc. should come across as non-negotiable in the interview process. It is funny to think about now, but I remember thinking I would lose all my kids when I started charging for 52 weeks a year....I literally would be shaking in my shoes when explaining the contract but years later, it just works! A support system works wonders in family child care and I have been blessed with great fcc providers.
Great Beginnings 07:43 AM 11-12-2013
I don't explain it either. I don't understand, we are professionals and should be treated as such. If they don't get paid holidays I would be willing to make adjustments but if they get the time paid and off to spend with families I don't see why they would make such a fuss.
Meeko 09:42 AM 11-12-2013
You don't owe them an explanation!
e.j. 11:58 AM 11-12-2013
Very few dc parents have ever asked why I charge for holidays when I'm closed but the couple of times I was asked, I responded, "Honestly? Because I can. It's pretty much the norm around here. You won't find too many providers who don't charge for holidays." That seemed to do the trick.
nothingwithoutjoy 12:03 PM 11-12-2013
My handbook lists the holidays I am closed, explains vacations and professional development, and then says
"...is my business, and provides an essential part of my family's income. As does any other professional, I expect to continue earning my salary on holidays and vacations. I understand that this can be a hardship for families, and so have chosen not to take paid sick days, and to move down from the five weeks' paid vacation I had while I taught in a school to only three weeks a year. Many families find it easiest to schedule their own vacations to correspond with ....'s closings."
Unregistered 08:23 AM 11-15-2018
Wow. This sounds greedy and entitled to close for a day and still charge. I get it if a person doesn’t show up and you had a spot blocked for that kid and you were ready and waiting for that kid, but if you close your doors, you should not ask people to pay you for not being available that day.
I get paid for the hours that I am at work, doing work. When my work closes for a holiday, we don’t get paid because we aren’t working. If we want time off for a vacation, sickness, etc. We have to budget beforehand because if we aren’t working, we don’t get paid. Work=money
Maybe you should charge more for the days that you ARE working to cover those times that you want money when you AREN'T working?
No work=no money in my world. Be responsible and budget.
Rockgirl 08:44 AM 11-15-2018
Wow. This sounds greedy and entitled to close for a day and still charge. I get it if a person doesn’t show up and you had a spot blocked for that kid and you were ready and waiting for that kid, but if you close your doors, you should not ask people to pay you for not being available that day.
I get paid for the hours that I am at work, doing work. When my work closes for a holiday, we don’t get paid because we aren’t working. If we want time off for a vacation, sickness, etc. We have to budget beforehand because if we aren’t working, we don’t get paid. Work=money
Maybe you should charge more for the days that you ARE working to cover those times that you want money when you AREN'T working?
Parents should always read policies before enrolling. If the program doesn’t fit their needs, or they strongly disagree with the policies, they shouldn’t enroll there. It’s that simple. Parents do not dictate my policies.
Ac114 08:47 AM 11-15-2018

You should probably look for a better job that has benefits. I’ve never worked somewhere where I didn’t have at least 2 weeks of PTO, If not more. So yes, I did get paid even if I wasn’t working.
Snowmom 09:26 AM 11-15-2018
You have a pretty crappy job.
Maybe you should open your own daycare so that as a business owner, you can get paid holidays.
Annalee 09:28 AM 11-15-2018
Normally, I don't post on nonsensical post like this, but I'm in a mood today Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and, for the record, I am very responsible with or without getting paid for my holidays. I charge 52 weeks per year and close for many, many days throughout the year. My clients know up-front and should they choose to enroll, they are prepared for what will follow. I respect those that do not enroll as well just as I respect your opinion but just as my way isn't the only way, neither is your way the only right way to do things. To each their own....have a great day!
lovemykidstoo 07:25 AM 11-19-2018
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Because you charge based on enrollment, not attendance. I personally only charge for the actual holiday, not the day before or after that I'm closed. I also don't charge for my vacation time as I understand they'll need to pay for alternate care during that time. Some people take 2 weeks of PAID vacation as well as MANY holidays paid. I only close for handful of the major holidays, but I'm open on days like today, President's Day, etc. but am closed and paid on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day, the Monday after Easter, Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day. But I close Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving unpaid. This year I'm taking off like 2 whole weeks because I don't even have DCKs here that need care!!
All of this is exactly what I do. I actually just sent out a reminder on my FB daycare page that said:

Reminder that this week is as follows:

Closed, Thanksgiving Day. This is a paid day if your normally scheduled day falls on it.

Closed, Friday, November 23. You do not pay for this as it's a vacation day for me.
Grey 08:45 AM 11-19-2018
Time to upgrade to a better job. I get a total of 5 1/2 weeks PTO at my job per year plus federal holidays.
nannyde 10:06 AM 11-19-2018
Sounds like a job change is in order for you. We have risen far enough in our career to be able to demand paid time off. We choose when that is. Time to step up and get that job/education/experience etc. that will put you in the position to command paid time off.
Josiegirl 10:24 AM 11-19-2018
Every single workshop I've ever taken, concerning the dc biz, tells us to charge 52 weeks a year. Ask Tom Copeland; pretty certain that would be his recommendation as well.
Don't know if you're a provider or not, but being unregistered, it sounds like you simply want to ruffle feathers and watch the dust fly around.
Everyone has choices. Choices to make a job for yourself where you get PTO, choices to say mean things out of jealousy because you have a crappy job, dcps have choices to go with tired out providers who can't afford to take time off without pay or show their appreciation/respect for their provider's hard work and pay for occasional time off.
Grey 12:58 PM 11-19-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Every single workshop I've ever taken, concerning the dc biz, tells us to charge 52 weeks a year. Ask Tom Copeland; pretty certain that would be his recommendation as well.
Don't know if you're a provider or not, but being unregistered, it sounds like you simply want to ruffle feathers and watch the dust fly around.
Everyone has choices. Choices to make a job for yourself where you get PTO, choices to say mean things out of jealousy because you have a crappy job, dcps have choices to go with tired out providers who can't afford to take time off without pay or show their appreciation/respect for their provider's hard work and pay for occasional time off.
Hmm, sounds to me like someone who is just frustrated and also happens to have a different opinion. Would their post somehow be different if they had a different word beside it than "unregistered"?
lovemykidstoo 01:08 PM 11-19-2018
Originally Posted by Grey:
Hmm, sounds to me like someone who is just frustrated and also happens to have a different opinion. Would their post somehow be different if they had a different word beside it than "unregistered"?
It would to me because 9 times out of 10 when someone is unregistered it's when they're being hateful or trying to stir the pot. It's fine to have a different opinion, but there is no reason to hide about it.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:54 PM 11-19-2018
Originally Posted by Grey:
If you read through the archives you will find numerous post identical to the one above by unregistered users. They bring back old posts (this one is from 2013!) and are unnecessarily rude, as in calling people greedy and entitled, stir the pot, then leave. It's very common. If you register with a name and want to have a discussion, this forum is excellent at having that discussion. But when you hide behind unregistered and make nasty comments, it's hard to take you seriously. In most cases, I would doubt they have anything to do with daycare and are just internet trolls. Not all, but a LOT!
Josiegirl 02:22 PM 11-19-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
It would to me because 9 times out of 10 when someone is unregistered it's when they're being hateful or trying to stir the pot. It's fine to have a different opinion, but there is no reason to hide about it.
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
If you read through the archives you will find numerous post identical to the one above by unregistered users. They bring back old posts (this one is from 2013!) and are unnecessarily rude, as in calling people greedy and entitled, stir the pot, then leave. It's very common. If you register with a name and want to have a discussion, this forum is excellent at having that discussion. But when you hide behind unregistered and make nasty comments, it's hard to take you seriously. In most cases, I would doubt they have anything to do with daycare and are just internet trolls. Not all, but a LOT!
Yep. The internet can be a place to hide behind bullying, stirring the pot, all kinds of negative things. That poster might very well be frustrated and have a different opinion BUT hiding behind the 'unregistered' name and and calling people 'who charge for enrollment not attendance' greedy, isn't exactly the way to go about expressing an opinion or helping with their frustration levels, is it?

I went years and years not expecting dcfs to pay whenever I had a holiday or a day off. I'd never taken extra time off but watched my dh have all kinds of PTO at work and do stuff with our kids. I was very burned out and tired, not to mention resentful and bitter. After reading and hearing from workshops that providers need PTO too, I changed my policies. I don't abuse it or take advantage of my dcfs and many times we end up with the same time off anyways.

And as everybody has said, make sure you read policies before signing a contract.
NewParent2018 06:56 PM 12-05-2018
As a parent, I think most parents will understand. There are lots and lots of other businesses that handle things the same way, so we all should be used to it.

I wouldn't even offer an explanation - just say, 'And this is how our rates work'. If someone has a problem with it, then maybe mention how...

* It is a lot easier (for parents and you) to keep the costs the same

* That many of the costs you incur are still charged to you, even on holidays. Nobody gets back 1/30th of their insurance premium on a month with a holiday. The mortgage/rent/taxes you pay on the building are still their even when the children aren't.

* Lots of other businesses follow the same model. I have a season pass to a pool, when the pool is closed I don't get money back. I have a monthly pass to a gym, it costs the same each month even if the gym is closed on a few days.

Finally, if anyone had a really problem with it - I'd offer them the option to NOT pay for holidays. Just do the math - calculate how many hours they'd use the Daycare, then calculate how many holidays are including. Then increase the hourly rate so that every other hour is that tiny bit more expensive.

Something like:

For $15 an hour, holidays are included in your fee....but if you'd rather not pay on holidays, the rate is $15.65 per hour which works out to the exact same annual rate. There is, however, an additional administrative fee of $30 per year if you'd like the more detailed calculations involved in not charging you for a holiday. It's entirely up to you, but we find that most families prefer the flat rate.
Tags:2013, benefits, charging on holidays, life is not fair, paid holidays
Reply Up