Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Good Friday...Do You Take It Off?
wdmmom 06:16 PM 03-29-2011
I have always closed at 12pm on Good Friday. I haven't had a problem with any of my parents. They usually get the day off or they have complied with me closing early. (I'm not religious.)

Last year I stayed open until 1pm and I only had 1 child come to the daycare.

With Good Friday approaching quickly, I'm wondering if it would be rude of me to take the entire day off. ( As of right now, I will have 1, possibly 2 children coming. )

I'm just wondering what other providers do. I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Lucy 06:43 PM 03-29-2011
I don't even think of that as a holiday. Not even for a half day. I only take off the holidays that I got when I worked for a large corporation, and Good Friday was not one of them. All my kids' parents work that whole day, so I work.
Unregistered 06:50 PM 03-29-2011
I added good friday and easter monday to my list of holidays this year. I've been open for almost 3 years and haven't closed once for an emergency or appointment. I even added columbus day last year. All my parents are off but send kids anyway because of my pay for contracted days regardless of sickness or holiday policy. They all get payed holidays so I feel I deserve them too. I also take black friday along with the normal holidays! I haven't had 1 complaint.
ammama 08:27 PM 03-29-2011
I''m not open Fridays anyway, but the agency that i'm with gives it as a stat holiday, paid. I also get Easter Monday off paid (which I am normally open on), so 4 day weekend
dEHmom 04:31 AM 03-30-2011
good friday I just assume that I am having the kids. If moms/dads say they have the day off they are not bringing then, I take it as a day off

I'm not sure if i see the glass half empty or half full, but I look at things from the crappy end of the stick, so that I am not disappointed, but rather excited at the outcome...

ex.....ugh I think I failed my test........week later I get it back........woohoo 95%
Meyou 04:49 AM 03-30-2011
I take Good Friday off. I don't take Easter Monday off but I rarely have any kids.
SilverSabre25 04:56 AM 03-30-2011
Good Friday isn't even on my radar as a possible day off.
laundrymom 05:07 AM 03-30-2011
I take good Friday if it doesn't fall on my vacation. I don't base my schedule on my parents schedule. I give them my list in aug and they are responsible for either make adjustments in their schedule or they find alternative care. I have 13 families they have one provider. They adjust to MY schedule. If I waited until they all had the same day off I would never get a break.
daysofelijah 05:20 AM 03-30-2011
No, I don't have any parents that have the day off, so I don't take it off.
Meeko 05:27 AM 03-30-2011
I take Good Friday off every year and I take it as a paid holiday! I get
New Years Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
4th July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas

as paid holidays.

I don't charge the parents for any other days off. I always take the day after Thanksgiving off and I usually take some days between Christmas and New Year depending on how many kids I have. My dcp's are very good about understanding that if I only have one kid out of 16 who needs care, then I will usually close. I get all their schedules ahead of time at Christmas, so I can plan accordingly. I sometimes just tend two or three at my house instead of going to my day care.
MsMe 05:29 AM 03-30-2011
I used to satay open and only ever had one family come. I know they have the day off and this year I am going to be closed. I worte about my decision in my post Hey! Let me introduce you to your children.

I need a break as much as this family need to spend the day together.
Meyou 05:32 AM 03-30-2011
Here are my closed paid holidays

New Year’s Day
Good Friday
Victoria Day
Canada Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Remembrance Day
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
Boxing Day

If the holiday falls on a regularly booked day you are required to pay. If the holiday falls on a Saturday or a Sunday I will be closed the following Monday.
lucky 05:39 AM 03-30-2011
I take Good Friday off as a paid holiday. It is written as the Friday before Easter in my policies.
Sunny Day 05:45 AM 03-30-2011
I take it off
SandeeAR 05:53 AM 03-30-2011
Don't normally take it off, but I am this year, b/c we are going out of town camping.
morgan24 06:00 AM 03-30-2011
I take it every year.
momofboys 06:04 AM 03-30-2011
I will be closed that day but not really by choice. DCF won't need me that day. And most of the schools in my area have that day off & they aren't religious-based schools. My kids have the day off from their school & it's a public school & has nothing to do with their spring break (which is this week). Not that I think al businesses should be closed but I find it funny that the public schools are closed that day.
cheerfuldom 06:17 AM 03-30-2011
I have never heard of closing for that day and as far as I know, none of my DC parents get the day off.
texascare 06:22 AM 03-30-2011
I take it every year
pinkcrayonz 06:49 AM 03-30-2011
In Canada its a statutory holiday, so I am, off, and the easter monday is also a government holiday, so I am closed also....
DCMom 07:37 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by lucky:
I take Good Friday off as a paid holiday. It is written as the Friday before Easter in my policies.
I do the same.
boysx5 07:47 AM 03-30-2011
I just started taking it the last two years I only ever have one family who never takes time off unless I do and to open for one family is not worth it to me. My dh always takes off and my boys are off so we are going to enjoy the weekend as a family which we never get to do
happykidschildcare 01:15 PM 03-30-2011
good friday isnt on my list for holidays, nor do any of my parents get it.
I dont take easter monday either...hmmm maybe adding that one to next years list.
daycare 01:18 PM 03-30-2011
I decided to give up all of my small legal holidays like presidents day, labor day, and so on. I instead am taking off the Friday before and monday after Xmas and Easter. I will take off thursday and friday for turkey day.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 03-30-2011
I do not take Good Friday off but I do take the Monday after Easter off because we usually travel for the holiday and I hate having to come home on Sunday evening just to go to bed and get right back to work...I like a day off after traveling.
momma2girls 09:20 AM 03-31-2011
I added this Holiday to my contract about 3 yrs. ago. I do not take any days off from jan. 1st- Memorial day. SO I figure I have this off instead of Easter Sun. or Mon. My husband also has always had it off, so now we can spend the day together with just our children!!
Unregistered 10:07 AM 03-31-2011
I don't close for Good Friday or Easter Monday. I have 2 families and one always asks if I am going to be closed and the other assumes I will be open. I close for a ton of other holidays and 10 personal days so I don't think it would go over well with my families if I asked for two MORE days!
PitterPatter 10:09 AM 03-31-2011
Do any of u have parents that refuse to pay for holidays u wish to take off? I assume u just don't enroll them but just curious. I tried getting Christmas and Thanksgiving as a paid holiday from a couple private paying clients a few yrs ago and they didn't go for it. 1 came right out and asked if I was insane and laughed. The other simply said she refused to pay me to take a day off. They don't get it around here but it sure would be nice to get a day paid that I could take off.
momma2girls 10:38 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
Do any of u have parents that refuse to pay for holidays u wish to take off? I assume u just don't enroll them but just curious. I tried getting Christmas and Thanksgiving as a paid holiday from a couple private paying clients a few yrs ago and they didn't go for it. 1 came right out and asked if I was insane and laughed. The other simply said she refused to pay me to take a day off. They don't get it around here but it sure would be nice to get a day paid that I could take off.
Just post all your paid Holidays in your upcoming contract before you hand it off to them. They will you for them, or look for other daycare. I think everyone deserves paid Holidays and vac. days, no matter what kind of work you do!!
melissa ann 02:20 PM 03-31-2011
This is my 3 yr doing childcare and I have always closed for Good Friday.
MsMe 07:55 AM 04-01-2011
I should add the two major employers in town are closed Good Friday. I would stay open if any of my families needed to work.
Pammie 08:21 AM 04-01-2011
I don't close but will probably have a light roster day that day - but since I'm open, all of my clients have to pay for the day whether they attend or not.
littlemissmuffet 08:45 AM 04-01-2011
I take 11/12 paid holidays during the year (aside from my 2 week vacation) and Good Friday is one of them. I am open Easter Monday, but I don't currently have any scheduled families coming.
littlemissmuffet 08:50 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:
It's stated in my handbook and discussed in interviews - like I said about I take 11/12 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 sick/personal days paid (though I have NEVER used all 5). I have never had a parent complain (to me anyways ). I will not look after children of parents who think that us childcare providers (one of the hardest and most thankless jobs I can think of) don't deserve a paid day off. I require that my parents respect me and and laughing in my face regarding wanting to have the same paid holidays (xmas, thanksgiving, as you mentioned) is NOT respect.
PitterPatter 04:47 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
It's stated in my handbook and discussed in interviews - like I said about I take 11/12 paid holidays, 2 weeks paid vacation and 5 sick/personal days paid (though I have NEVER used all 5). I have never had a parent complain (to me anyways ). I will not look after children of parents who think that us childcare providers (one of the hardest and most thankless jobs I can think of) don't deserve a paid day off. I require that my parents respect me and and laughing in my face regarding wanting to have the same paid holidays (xmas, thanksgiving, as you mentioned) is NOT respect.
I totally agree and THAT parent was rude almost from the beginning. She thought she was better than everyone else because she came from a wealthy family, worked in the office at a hospital and the spouse is a cop. We clashed a lot and a lil over a yr later she was gone.

I always try to please people and I dont have much of a backbone when it comes to clients I don't know why. Now let someone harm a child or an animal or family it's on! My knees just kinda buckle when it comes to daycare clients for some reason.
legomom922 04:24 AM 04-02-2011
Yes, I close every yr, with pay. I go to church at noon every yr. It's a very important day for my family.

I have never heard of Easter Monday..But usually Easter break follows, and I close that week anyway to spend time with my kids & family, but if break didn't fall that week, I would be open on that Monday.
Tags:days off, good friday, holidays
Reply Up