Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>FB Request?..
Little Star75 07:39 PM 03-02-2013
I was just asked by a DCP to add her as a friend on fb, ummm... Not sure how to tell her that I rather keep it at a professional level. I get a long very well with all DCP but that's it. I have them all on my daycare fb page but no more. How would I tell her/him? Please help!
ABCDaycareMN 08:59 PM 03-02-2013
I would just decline the offer and not bring it up with them. If they ask you about it I would just tell them you would like to keep your business life and personal life separate.
Starburst 10:12 PM 03-02-2013
You can try having one that is just for your daycare so you can keep daycare parents up-to-date on latest daycare news- set it to private so only current daycare parents are on it and on your other account also have it on private but try to block daycare parents from it. But remember to let the families know that if they need to you about something they should only contact you through your e-mail, phone, or text- not PM or comment on FB (I am like never on my FB anymore).

You can also let all daycare parents know that you would just rather keep this on a professional level and that you do not add daycare families as your FB friends. I had one teacher in high school who one time told the whole class that she doesn't add her students to her FB until after she knows that they have graduated (she was one of the teachers that everyone liked and said alot of students have been trying to add her).
Little Star75 12:19 AM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
You can try having one that is just for your daycare so you can keep daycare parents up-to-date on latest daycare news- set it to private so only current daycare parents are on it and on your other account also have it on private but try to block daycare parents from it. But remember to let the families know that if they need to you about something they should only contact you through your e-mail, phone, or text- not PM or comment on FB (I am like never on my FB anymore).

You can also let all daycare parents know that you would just rather keep this on a professional level and that you do not add daycare families as your FB friends. I had one teacher in high school who one time told the whole class that she doesn't add her students to her FB until after she knows that they have graduated (she was one of the teachers that everyone liked and said alot of students have been trying to add her).
Thanks for your response, I actually do have a daycare one for this purpose. I haven't responded to her text yet. She asked me to like this page for her son to win this contest and since I was having a hard time finding the page she asked for me to add her as a friend. As of now I have not text her back
bunnyslippers 07:04 AM 03-03-2013
You can always accept the request, and then just unfriend her. She would never know, and then you don't have to hurt anyone's feelings.
Starburst 01:17 PM 03-03-2013
You can also block and unblock them from being able to see your status updates- I used to do that all the time when I had a mom I babysat for on my facebook.
Kaddidle Care 04:15 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
You can always accept the request, and then just unfriend her. She would never know, and then you don't have to hurt anyone's feelings.
If they don't have 500 friends they will know. I noticed a relative "unfriended" me. Had to chuckle because he's a YOUNG teen and doesn't like Auntie knowing what he posts. He knows I sqealed on him telling 900+ friends that he was going to be home alone one night. Yes, I told his parents because I was concerned. But the dumb thing is - he never changed any other settings so anyone can see what he posts. Duh!
Lucy 08:57 PM 03-03-2013
I would just ignore the request. I actually had this happen when I first started watching one of my current kids. The mom searched my name and sent me a friend request. Well, I will NOT mix personal friends with business clients, so I just ignored it. Didn't accept it, didn't deny it, didn't send a message -- nothing. A few weeks later she asked if I have FB, and I said well I do, but I'm rarely ever on it. She hasn't mentioned it again, so I guess she figured I never saw it.
Play Care 06:53 AM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I would just ignore the request. I actually had this happen when I first started watching one of my current kids. The mom searched my name and sent me a friend request. Well, I will NOT mix personal friends with business clients, so I just ignored it. Didn't accept it, didn't deny it, didn't send a message -- nothing. A few weeks later she asked if I have FB, and I said well I do, but I'm rarely ever on it. She hasn't mentioned it again, so I guess she figured I never saw it.
This. I am always surprised at the number of people who think you should accept the request and then try to limit your settings. Maybe I'm lazy but I don't have the time to lock down (and re-lock every time FB changes their privacy features ) just so someone I didn't really want to friend in the first place won't see my posts. If I was working outside the home I wouldn't friend my boss or coworkers.
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
I would just decline the offer and not bring it up with them. If they ask you about it I would just tell them you would like to keep your business life and personal life separate.
This. ^^^ I am VERY honest and open about my need to keep my personal life separate from my work life.

I tell parents up front. You are NOT my friend, you are my client.

IF I have built a 'friendly' relationship with a family during our years of business together, I would have no issues being FB friends with them AFTER our agreement for services were over.
Tags:business ethics, facebook, friend request, friends as clients, parent request, professionalism
Reply Up