Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Non-Mobile D.C.G.
Half-Pint Hide-Out 05:58 PM 10-14-2013
A little background first: I have a 2 1/2 y.o. girl that just started with me a couple weeks ago. She is only with me two days a week, and we have had a rough time with her adjusting in the mornings every time. She and I have yet to really bond with one another, which as you all know, can make the days a little tougher.
I got a message from her mom this morning that d.c.g broke her tibfib this morning and will be getting casted this week. She will be completely non-mobile because of the cast and will be in the cast through Christmas. D.c.m. asked if I would still take her with this issue. I told her we could try, but I didn't really know how well it would work because I have a little infant and two young toddlers here already. I don't thing d.c.m. was thrilled about this, but I'm just wondering what the rest of you would do in this situation. Thanks!!
Willow 06:05 PM 10-14-2013
I would do exactly as you did, let her know you'd try and take it from there. Although some providers can make the sudden immobility of a kiddo work (Blackcat here has and will hopefully chime in with good tips) it's a lot to expect a provider to be able to handle, especially depending on the temperament of the child and how well they get along in care in the first place.

If it doesn't work it doesn't work, at least you can say you gave it a shot!
TwinKristi 06:07 PM 10-14-2013
I suppose it would depend on how big she is, are you going to have to take her to the toilet multiple times a day? Is she liftable? I know someone who's son broke both his femurs and was in a hip to foot cast for 8wks and his dad had to carry him in a backpack type carrier for the whole time whenever they went somewhere. It was horrible!! I don't know how the potty stuff worked though?!
se7en 06:36 PM 10-14-2013
Poor little lamb. How did she break her leg ? ( is that her leg ) ? Anyway, if you can't watch her, will mom have to take time off to stay home ? Maybe you can ask mom to drop her off for an hour every day ? That way she still sees you every day and won't have a hard time coming back to you when she is all better. It is probably going to be inconvenient to you, but in the long run you and she will feel better.
itlw8 06:43 PM 10-14-2013
I had to go look it up... the knee joint... Yes I would take the child. bet it will not be long before the child is pulling herself along on the floor to play. Get an umbrella stroller to help move when you need to or a wagon. Do you go lots of places? Then that would not work But with that many littles I bet you do not anyway right now.

My guess if you will not care for the child Mom will not quit work but will find another childcare that will .
slorey 06:47 PM 10-14-2013
I would probably take her on a trial basis to see how things went. My only concern with having so many littles, along with her, would be whether you could safely evacuate in the event of an emergency. While I realize the chance of that would be slim, you need to make sure you could evacuate them all quickly, just in case.
itlw8 06:50 PM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
I would probably take her on a trial basis to see how things went. My only concern with having so many littles, along with her, would be whether you could safely evacuate in the event of an emergency. While I realize the chance of that would be slim, you need to make sure you could evacuate them all quickly, just in case.
That is true I have to have an evacuation crib which I would plop all of them in( under 3 ) if we needed to go fast. I did not think about others may not have to have one. Another good reason to use a wagon if you do not have an evacuation crib.
SilverSabre25 06:51 PM 10-14-2013
For a child that age, if she even is potty trained, I'd almost imagine that they will go back to diapers for the duration. I know I would if it were my kid...
Half-Pint Hide-Out 07:13 PM 10-14-2013
Thanks, all! I just got a call from DCM that she is going to be able to work from home the two days that DCG is normally here. DCM said after thinking about it, she wasn't comfortable with putting that excess work on me, especially when DCG isn't completely settled here yet anyway.
spinnymarie 09:13 AM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Half-Pint Hide-Out:
Thanks, all! I just got a call from DCM that she is going to be able to work from home the two days that DCG is normally here. DCM said after thinking about it, she wasn't comfortable with putting that excess work on me, especially when DCG isn't completely settled here yet anyway.
GOod for DC mom!! That's one you might want to keep
Tags:special needs
Reply Up