Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Rates Decreased for Homes
laundrymom 08:05 AM 08-04-2016
What a way to make us feel all warm and fuzzy.
Take away money we use to insure the children eat nutritious foods while tightening regulations on what we can serve.
Blackcat31 08:43 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
What a way to make us feel all warm and fuzzy.
Take away money we use to insure the children eat nutritious foods while tightening regulations on what we can serve.
?? Did the reimbursement rates go down this year instead of up?
SignMeUp 08:58 AM 08-04-2016
http://tomcopelandblog.com/2016-2017...ates-announced
Leigh 09:03 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
?? Did the reimbursement rates go down this year instead of up?
They did. Groceries may have decreased 1%, but that hardly makes up for the HUGE increases that we have seen in the last several years. This is more than sad-I find it insulting.
Blackcat31 09:05 AM 08-04-2016
The article says the overall cost of food has gone down...I wonder where they get their information? I can't say I know a single person across the country whose foods costs have decreased.
laundrymom 09:05 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
They did. Groceries may have decreased 1%, but that hardly makes up for the HUGE increases that we have seen in the last several years. This is more than sad-I find it insulting.
Homes were the only ones decreased. Everyone else increased.
Blackcat31 09:07 AM 08-04-2016
Just another step in running in-home family childcare providers out of business
Blackcat31 09:09 AM 08-04-2016
Program requirements and provider qualifications have increased tenfold yet our income and reimbursement rates continue to decline.

And they wonder why there's a problem with childcare in America
Cat Herder 09:51 AM 08-04-2016
Program requirements and provider qualifications have increased tenfold yet our income and reimbursement rates continue to decline.

And they wonder why there's a problem with childcare in America
Don't forget our lower ratios and higher space requirements....
Scout 09:52 AM 08-04-2016
Is this also the amount for the standard food deduction or just for food program?
Leigh 10:04 AM 08-04-2016
The article says the overall cost of food has gone down...I wonder where they get their information? I can't say I know a single person across the country whose foods costs have decreased.
All I know is that MY groceries have increased by about 25% in the last 10 years or so. I also know that reimbursements never reflected that. When I buy groceries, I think about how a minimum wage parent must work for an entire hour to buy a pound of hamburger ($5.99 at my grocery store) or nearly an hour for a gallon of milk for their kids ($4.79). How steaks for dinner are out of reach for so many families (Sirloin has went from $1.99 a pound to $9.99+ a pound here). 3 years ago, I could buy roasts on sale for $1.69 a pound (my store had a different roast on sale every week). They're on sale now for $3.99-$4.29 per pound occasionally. Regular price on a round roast is $7.99 a pound. Last winter, blueberries (my son's favorite fruit) were SIXTEEN dollars a pound! 8 months of the year, strawberries for my daycare kids are $5-$7 a pound. I spend $25 for fruit for BREAKFAST some days.

I know that the FP is meant to be supplemental. I know that not everyone insists on fresh fruits for their kids, I know that I COULD save money by buying cheaper foods-that's all on me. But reimbursing 20 freaking cents for snack? That's utterly ridiculous. What could I possibly serve for 20 cents? or 40 cents for that matter, assuming that the FP could cover half of my costs (which it never has)?
Play Care 10:10 AM 08-04-2016
This makes me livid.
And who are we supposed to contact to let them know how much they suck?
laundrymom 10:12 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This makes me livid.
And who are we supposed to contact to let them know how much they suck?
According to the food program response on their FB page, our politicians.
Josiegirl 05:20 PM 08-04-2016
Wow Leigh, I'm appalled at the prices in your area!
I know Tom Copeland recommends all providers be on the FP but I'm wondering if it's worth your time, aggravation and extra cost? If you went off, then you wouldn't have to adhere to their guidelines.
Blueberries-16 bucks #????!!!! That's downright crazy.

I'm bothered by the principle of the thing but it is only 4 cents a day per child.
LysesKids 06:33 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Wow Leigh, I'm appalled at the prices in your area!
I know Tom Copeland recommends all providers be on the FP but I'm wondering if it's worth your time, aggravation and extra cost? If you went off, then you wouldn't have to adhere to their guidelines.
Blueberries-16 bucks #????!!!! That's downright crazy.

I'm bothered by the principle of the thing but it is only 4 cents a day per child.
The food program really has no clue about the costs if you aren't mainland... if they did they would adjust it (same issue for people getting SNAP, gov't doesn't take into consideration costs to technically "import" food); my brother lived in Alaska for 6 months & the $$ drove him nuts when it came to getting groceries & basics. Even in the far out areas of UT & WY, they have extra transport costs to get fresh foods
wonderfullisa 03:15 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
Is this also the amount for the standard food deduction or just for food program?
It is both. They use the same numbers.
Josiegirl 04:46 AM 08-05-2016
Something I never think of that I read in Tom Copeland's article, is that if you serve extra snacks during the day that don't get reimbursed, you can deduct that from your taxes. For instance, we have many popsicle breaks(he mentioned that in his article) during the summer after hot outdoor play. I've never deducted the extra cost.
If our typical dc meals cost over what we get from the FP, can't we deduct that extra too? When I get my taxes done, all I do is tally up the # of breakfasts, etc., and multiply what is paid by the FP. I've always been lazy about it. But couldn't we figure out what our typical menus cost, and use that instead?
Scout 07:31 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by wonderfullisa:
It is both. They use the same numbers.
thank you
Controlled Chaos 07:49 AM 08-05-2016
I went grocery shopping just last night and was thinking wow - I used to get away with spending between $100 and $125 a week and now its $125-$150 a week only 4 years later. I offer fewer second servings now too!
Baby Beluga 10:21 AM 08-05-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I went grocery shopping just last night and was thinking wow - I used to get away with spending between $100 and $125 a week and now its $125-$150 a week only 4 years later. I offer fewer second servings now too!
Yes! It is ridiculous how much (healthy) food costs. Between my own family and DC, I spend about $1,000 on food and paper products. That is with stocking up when things are on sale, using coupons when able to and buying what is on sale. DD does have some food allergies so we have to buy some special products, which doesn't help. But it is what it is.

We eat a lot of oatmeal and I stretch foods. So turkey tacos are made with turkey meat and beans, rice and oatmeal are purchased in bulk and special fruit items (like strawberries, blackberries, pears, etc) are often mixed with whatever fruit is on sale (which is usually apples in the fall, and peaches or nectarines in the summer). I also freeze a lot of fresh produce to add to oatmeal and muffins.
Annalee 10:27 AM 08-05-2016
Just another step in running in-home family childcare providers out of business
Exactly what I thought when I got the email sharing this info with me!
Leigh 11:02 AM 08-05-2016
I read that centers' rates are based on the cost of food away from home and that in-home is based on the cost of food at home. So, centers get paid based on the cost of restaurant meals? This makes no sense to me.
TomCopeland 09:14 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by Scout:
The standard food deduction to claim food expenses is based on the Tier I reimbursement rate in place at the beginning of the year. So, the lower reimbursement rates just announced will be the rates to use for claiming food expenses on your 2017 tax return.
TomCopeland 09:56 AM 08-07-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Something I never think of that I read in Tom Copeland's article, is that if you serve extra snacks during the day that don't get reimbursed, you can deduct that from your taxes. For instance, we have many popsicle breaks(he mentioned that in his article) during the summer after hot outdoor play. I've never deducted the extra cost.
If our typical dc meals cost over what we get from the FP, can't we deduct that extra too? When I get my taxes done, all I do is tally up the # of breakfasts, etc., and multiply what is paid by the FP. I've always been lazy about it. But couldn't we figure out what our typical menus cost, and use that instead?
You can either use the standard meal allowance to claim your food expenses or use the actual cost of the food. If you use the actual cost you will need to save all your food receipts (business and personal) and estimate your actual food expenses. Here's an article explaining how to calculate your actual food costs: http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-claim-food-expenses
renodeb 02:36 PM 08-09-2016
m sorry for saying this but WTF? Honestly I think one day I will just quite the food program. I don't think it's worth it. Makes no since to lower the meal rates. I guess we will just have to raise our rates every year.
Josiegirl 02:45 PM 08-09-2016
I've always been on the Tier 1 rates which has been great. But I just found out Vt. is the only state that increases their Tier 2 rates through funding, to make it more feasible. Why Can't more states do that??
Tier 1 Rates

Vt. Tier 2 Rates
MommyMuffin 05:36 AM 08-12-2016
I'm confused. The food program went down. My children's school lunch cost went up. How do they figure this out?
Leigh 07:57 AM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I'm confused. The food program went down. My children's school lunch cost went up. How do they figure this out?
Schools are paid based on the cost of meals "away from home". In home childcares are paid based on the cost of meals "at home". They use different formulas to determine reimbursement. Which seems weird to me, since schools can buy in bulk and save a lot by doing so, when we're buying at the full price grocery store!
AmyKidsCo 09:14 AM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Schools are paid based on the cost of meals "away from home". In home childcares are paid based on the cost of meals "at home". They use different formulas to determine reimbursement. Which seems weird to me, since schools can buy in bulk and save a lot by doing so, when we're buying at the full price grocery store!
Not to mention that although our businesses in OUR homes, the children who we're being reimbursed for are AWAY from their homes.
Leigh 09:32 AM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Not to mention that although our businesses in OUR homes, the children who we're being reimbursed for are AWAY from their homes.
absolutely. It's ridiculous, IMO.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 08-25-2016
Where did you see/find the info that only "homes" were decreased but not centers. I have some "friends" arguing about it....
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 08-25-2016
Where did you see/find the info that only "homes" were decreased but not centers. I have some "friends" arguing about it....
Nevermind....I found it!
Cat Herder 09:54 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
The school had to put the cost on the parents to make up for the loss of reimbursements they get.

Same thing will happen to daycare rates if they raise childcare providers (AKA Preschool Teachers) incomes. The deficit has to go somewhere. The question remains who will be the one to pay it.

This time it was you.
daycarediva 10:06 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The school had to put the cost on the parents to make up for the loss of reimbursements they get.

Same thing will happen to daycare rates if they raise childcare providers (AKA Preschool Teachers) incomes. The deficit has to go somewhere. The question remains who will be the one to pay it.

This time it was you.
My FP rates went down this month. My insurance went up. I already raised my rates for incoming clients in anticipation of this.
Blackcat31 10:22 AM 08-26-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

This time it was you.
From my understanding the schools didn't get a decrease in reimbursement amounts though....just in home care.

https://minutemenusystems.files.word...-july-2016.pdf

I may be mis-reading but that's the general consensus from what I've gathered.
Cat Herder 10:37 AM 08-26-2016
From my understanding the schools didn't get a decrease in reimbursement amounts though....just in home care.

https://minutemenusystems.files.word...-july-2016.pdf

I may be mis-reading but that's the general consensus from what I've gathered.
You are correct to my understanding as well. Some communities around here have had their tier changed which resulted in lower rates. Based on this years enrollment.

The general consensus here is that many lower income families left the area when the plant shut down to take the relocation offers. Other young couples returned to parents homes.

Hopefully other places will have seen a positive boom from places like here. I hope it is simply a cycle and it will work it's way back around. Rise, fall, rebuild, rise.

Aside: We have too many vacant houses, it is weird driving through old beloved neighborhoods suddenly. I have never seen so many houses with no curtains, blinds or rocking chairs. Empty porches. Maybe it is a southern thing, but it breaks my heart.
Tags:food costs
Reply Up