Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Trouble
DancingQueen 11:16 AM 04-08-2011
I made reference to this in another post I have.
any advise for a lil bugger that just takes forever to fall asleep and can't be trusted to stay in room alone?

He plays around and squirms and wiggles and babbles and so on. Today was close to an hour!
By the time he falls asleep others are waking up and I'm not getting much of a break unfortunately.

another thing is he is just one of those mischeivious kids. If I look at him and sternly say "It's quiet time" He gets that evil grin. I know you guys know the one that I mean. Where he thinks it is a funny game. I can't figure out a way to work around it all that won't disrupt everyone's sleep.

I mentioned that I'm moving another 2 yr old in the play room for naps with him soon and I have a LOT of anxiety about this.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping him out of trouble and quiet .. and perhaps falling asleep quicker?

I currently...
*have lullabye playing the entire nap time
*have the room nice and dark
*have the entire house quiet
*wear them out
*have the same exact routine every single day

If I sit in there and ignore him he'll squirm and roll over, and babble and get off the mat then on the mat and so on for a LONG time.
If I bend over and get right in his face he will fall asleep MUCH quicker. But it isn't easy. I know that sounds insane because it sounds simple. But add another 2 year old to that room and it is just going to be one big joke

And the other one that is going to be going into the playroom is NOT quiet.

She wakes up from her naps now and shouts 'SHHHH IT IS QUIET TIME GUNNAR'S SLEEPING' So everyone wakes up. She is just too young to really understand what "shhh quiet time" means ..

I feel like my house is too small to accomodate all these nappers. I wish I could nap them all in the same room.
cheerfuldom 11:37 AM 04-08-2011
is there absolutely no where else to squezze a pack n play in the house?
DancingQueen 11:39 AM 04-08-2011
I can put one in my living room. (it will be a tight squeeze since I have such a small house but I can make it work)
But it is very bright and a little noisy in the living room. and currently in this room I have a 4yr old boy who watches a show until he falls asleep - in the summer my daughter will also be sitting in here watching a show during naptime (she's 5 and stopped napping a long time ago) so they would both be in the same well lit room with baby in pnp while I sit on the floor in the other room trying desperately to get 2yr boy to fall asleep (which can take a while as I mentioned)

Do you see my dilema or am I making too big a deal out of it?
DancingQueen 04:03 AM 04-11-2011
I decided to keep the other 2 year old in the pnp but I still am struggling with this little guy falling asleep and not playing around
he seems to think that I'm joking around everytime I remind him that it is quiet time.
I'm hoping that with spring coming he'll be so exhausted from outdoor play time that he'll just crash but I doubt it just a little bit.

I am sort of wondering if I should just totally switch things up with him and totally change where and how I put him down or am I asking for trouble by doing that?

I really HATE that I have to sit there for almost an hour some days getting him to sleep.
SandeeAR 12:10 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
he seems to think that I'm joking around everytime I remind him that it is quiet time.

You just need to work on your "look" that says I mean business and your tone. I have a little one that laughs at home when Mom says no, (she has told me so). He doesn't even try that here and she is amazed.
grandmom 12:20 PM 04-11-2011
The design of my home requires that all kidos are in the same room - even at naptime. I let them squirm and cry in the same room. Nappers nap, screamers scream. It's amazing how they learn to sleep through the noise. It took a while, but my brand new child just cried herself to sleep while the others settled down too.

As for the one that finally goes to sleep, can you lay her down before the others? That way by the time she settles down, the others are also.

Good luck.
Tags:sleep problems
Reply Up