Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Else Dreading Summer At All?
DancingQueen 10:03 AM 04-12-2011
My own kids make it so difficult.
They really hate nap time because the entire house is shut down and can't make a peep for 2 hours LOL
cheerfuldom 10:09 AM 04-12-2011
I am SO glad that the weather has turned here. we go crazy inside all winter, thank goodness we can use our backyard again!!
AfterSchoolMom 10:12 AM 04-12-2011
I ADORE the summer. I take off, so my kids and I spend a lot of time at the pool, sleeping in, and doing our own thing.
laundrymom 10:13 AM 04-12-2011
for the first time since 1989 I am excited about summer!!! I have no school kids but my own and nap is our time to be a reg fam. They have to be wuiet but they get me to themselves.
Unregistered 10:14 AM 04-12-2011
It's definately different and much less structured. My kids are young teens, so I put them in charge of activities, let them plan lunches and do a lot of things w/the kids. They take turns that way they still get to sleep and be with their friends. A lot of the time their friends want to hang out at my daycare anyway. I miss the quiet naptimes of the school year but I don't dread summer!!
DBug 10:16 AM 04-12-2011
I am very much dreading it.

Last year I toyed with the idea of hiring a teenager for two hours every afternoon to occupy the SA's in the backyard. Because of regs though, I can't take on additional kids to make up for the cost of a p/t assistant so it would come straight out of my pocket. I didn't end up doing it this year, but I am seriously considering it for this year. I'll have more SA's this year and they have such a hard time staying quiet during naptime. And of course, adding my boys to the mix is not going to make it any easier .
DancingQueen 10:16 AM 04-12-2011
Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVE the warm weather. I love the playing outside. I love the sun and the tan legs and the fresh air. And I do not miss my cubicle and fake lighting at all!
But my only true break is nap time and nap time is just horrible in this house when all of my kids are home. Today is a perfect example. half days. What a nightmare!!
laundrymom 10:20 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
Oh don't get me wrong. I LOVE the warm weather. I love the playing outside. I love the sun and the tan legs and the fresh air. And I do not miss my cubicle and fake lighting at all!
But my only true break is nap time and nap time is just horrible in this house when all of my kids are home. Today is a perfect example. half days. What a nightmare!!
what ages are your kids?? mine are 19,17,12 and 9. The older ones will often grab the girls and go do something, or tke them in the pool or whatever. Or they sit with me and read, play online, go in the back yard, whatever they want. It does get easier when they are a bit older.
DancingQueen 10:21 AM 04-12-2011
almost 17
almost 15
and 5
dEHmom 10:24 AM 04-12-2011
ok lady, you are insane!

I dread winter, and it's the longest season! then I dread spring! I love summer and fall.
boysx5 10:24 AM 04-12-2011
I'm dreading it a bit although this year I will not be having any SA children in care so that will make my life somewhat better but with having five of my own at home is always tough
lil angels 10:29 AM 04-12-2011
yep dreading the school age also one is mine and we will have two others. I am off for a week in July and a week in August though so that is going to make things go very fast I am sure I will have my head planning vacations and not here most of the time.
DancingQueen 10:32 AM 04-12-2011
I have a week at the Cape in July (all expenses paid - how awesome is that?)
then time off for our county fair ( I sleep over with the animals LOL) in August

So I am very much looking forward to that!
PitterPatter 10:36 AM 04-12-2011
I can't wait for summer!! We all have cabin fever here with winter and so much rain lately. I'm telling ya these May flowers better bloom bigger and brighter than ever!

I can't wait to get to the exploring too. I have mostly toddlers and I love to watch them have new encounters like the butterflies and flowers etc.
sahm2three 10:36 AM 04-12-2011
No. I can't wait because the kids are outside all the time, and there are less COLDS!!! I am so tired of the colds I could literally scream!!! I am sick as a dog because EVERYONE COMES SICK ALL THE TIME!!! I have 4 here hacking up a lung and noses running live a siv. UGH!

I have lots of fun water activities for outside, so I say BRING ON SUMMER!
daycare 10:37 AM 04-12-2011
my older two will be in europe and egypt most of the summer... My oldest will be in DC for a week as well, so I am not dreding it this year...

I am looking forward to water and mud play
spud912 01:20 PM 04-12-2011
I dread summers, but that's because we are opposite (we spend our summers mostly indoors due to the extreme heat and the rest of the year outdoors). Every step closer to the "fall" makes me feel happier, though. The cooler weather does not come back until mid-October (as in below 100 ). I expect we will be hitting the 100's by the beginning to mid-May.
daycare 01:27 PM 04-12-2011
Where do u livE?
spud912 01:50 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Where do u livE?
Phoenix......

We actually hit 100 a couple of weeks ago but then we got a cold front this past weekend (probably the last ).
daycare 03:56 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
Phoenix......

We actually hit 100 a couple of weeks ago but then we got a cold front this past weekend (probably the last ).
wozzzers.... I live in Norther cali and we have summers that get into about 115... But it will only last about a week when it gets that hot. It is usually in the 90s to low 100s on most days here in the summer.
spud912 05:15 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
wozzzers.... I live in Norther cali and we have summers that get into about 115... But it will only last about a week when it gets that hot. It is usually in the 90s to low 100s on most days here in the summer.
Wow, sometimes we have a month above 110.
PitterPatter 05:22 PM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
Phoenix......

I just gotta throw this in here. My DH was stationed in Texas (army) for 2 yrs. When our 2nd plane landed (small airport) I took my carry on rolling luggage and waited by the plane to watch my Dog come off the plane cargo (maybe 10 minutes) I then walked to the building and noticed my luggage wasn't rolling right. The wheels were deformed and had started to melt from the heat!!! I went in shocked and was gasping about it when the attendant said well what did u expect in 125 heat? It was a brand new set 1st time I ever used it. That was my welcome to Texas!
TBird 07:34 AM 04-13-2011
My kids are a little older (13, 11, & soon to be 8)...they've had awesome daycare experiences as little ones and they LOVE that I do daycare so far. They know I'm a big field trip person so anything that will add to their summer field trips is a plus for them. Again, they are older so they can play in the backyard while we do Quiet Time. We are soooooooo looking forward to the summer!!!

You'll figure out what works best for you...you've already identified a potential problem so you're already taking the first step to be ahead of it. Don't worry and welcome the sun!!!
jenh171 08:34 AM 04-13-2011
My girls are 15 and 13 and I'd do ANYTHING to have summers off! However, I often remind myself and my daughters that it could be a lot worse...at least they're not having to go to camp or something. It's just a pain because my house is really small, so they are confined to their room if they are trying to stay out of the way of child care. I dream of the day I can have a totally separate area for child care!
AnythingsPossible 11:50 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
I am very much dreading it.

Last year I toyed with the idea of hiring a teenager for two hours every afternoon to occupy the SA's in the backyard. Because of regs though, I can't take on additional kids to make up for the cost of a p/t assistant so it would come straight out of my pocket. I didn't end up doing it this year, but I am seriously considering it for this year. I'll have more SA's this year and they have such a hard time staying quiet during naptime. And of course, adding my boys to the mix is not going to make it any easier .
I spoke with my licensor a few weeks ago, and here we can have teens 16 and up work for us and be used in our ratio. I don't know how old your kids are, or if you have a neice, cousin, friend of the family that may be willing to come and do the outside thing for a few hours a day and maybe not have to pay them as much as an adult assistant. Of course, your states regs may not be the same though.
GretasLittleFriends 02:45 PM 04-13-2011
I am looking forward to the endless hours of playing outdoors!!

I, however, am NOT looking forward to the school agers being here all day. I have 5 school agers. I only have two girls in my daycare. One is my (almost 1) dd, the other is my oldest SA. This summer I will have 8 dcg, 7 dcb, 6 turning 7 dcb, 6 dcb (ds), 5 turning 6 dcb. None of the boys behave when this girl is here. It's kind of like all the roosters are competing for one hen. Yet at the same time she has some not so good habits that have been rubbing off on
the boys (lying, nosiness, the like).

Again, on the flip side, the additional income will be nice! I charge hourly, so it'll be a HUGE increase.
Unregistered 03:04 PM 04-13-2011
My own kids are 14(boy) and almost 9(girl). The teen is usually home all summer but this summer is has football practice everyday. My almost 9 only has about a month off before starting school again b/c she goes to a year round school. Summer will be fun I think! Lots of outdoor time.
Debbie
Tags:summer
Reply Up