Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tempted to Set Up the Nap-Room as a Quiet Play Room
SilverSabre25 07:31 AM 04-27-2011
The nap room is just a few feet down the hall from the main playroom. Right now I don't have any morning nappers, so this could potentially work out very well. I'm not licensed and the regs that I follow (the ones for Type B homes, which I am) only say that I have to be within sight OR hearing range at all times, so it works there.

Since we're switching to cots next week, I was thinking that I could put our bookshelf of books in there along with the puzzles and a nice big pile of pillows and stuffed animals, and the kids could have that as an option to go back there and chill out, get some space away from the other kids, read and work puzzles quietly.

Does this sound like a good idea?
Evansmom 07:52 AM 04-27-2011
I personally don't do it b/c it makes more work for me. It would add to my clean up areas. I already have the playroom and living room and outdoors to keep tidy. I make sure the nap room is for storing toys and napping only.

Also it helps to have a dedicated nap room for ease of getting kids to sleep quickly. If all they do in that room is nap it faciliatates relaxation and sleeping.

So I'd not do it for selfish reasons...

The only way I would do it is if my play areas weren't large enough and I could trust some of the kids to actually use the room for reading or puzzles.
countrymom 08:58 AM 04-27-2011
I have seperate rooms too for napping, at least that room stays clean. I agree I have enough to clean already
Evansmom 09:19 AM 04-27-2011
One thought I had was that if you really want to do it only allow one child in the room at a time. That way they really are getting quiet time away from the group. And make it a rule that anything pulled out is put back before they leave. No exceptions, following the rules is one of the privilages of being able to go back there. Could work but would make one more thing for you to police.
DancingQueen 10:19 AM 04-27-2011
This is what I do. But be prepared to deal with them wanting to bring toys into the other room. That then takes away from the "quiet room" effect. It has been a battle but they're getting used to it.

Also if you have one go in there then they all want to go in there so that was a pain at first... but they are all adjusting to it pretty well.. just taking some time for them to get used to the idea.
SilverSabre25 09:38 AM 04-28-2011
You guys bring up some good points about them wanting to bring toys in, having to clean it up, etc. Hmmm...I guess I will just have to rethink that then!

Maybe I could make better use of the space by buying a bunch of the tall cabinets with two doors and five shelves and lining one wall with them to store stuff in...since we had to make a room for the new baby (it's a baby/guest room) I lost space to store all my craft supplies.
Tags:nap room, play room, renovate
Reply Up