Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is A Typical Feeding/Napping Schedule For An 8 Month Old?
Crazy8 12:29 PM 07-30-2013
I have a baby who is going to start having solids here (been doing at home for a little while now) and I am trying to figure out when to get them in. He's a good boy with a happy disposition, a hefty eater and he goes for naps pretty easily if he's been awake about 2.5-3 hours. I'd just like some ideas on a good schedule if he wakes up about 7am (and gets bottle) and he goes home about 4-4:30pm.
Heidi 01:11 PM 07-30-2013
Mine are on the same schedule (7 1/2 g and 8 months Sat boy)

Bottle at waking (7 oz or so)

Breakfast with the rest of us (cereal, fruit, and 4 oz in a bottle, working on cup) at 8:45..sometimes they drink the 4 oz, sometimes only 1 or 2.

Nap 9:15-10:00 (I wake them), then we all go for a walk and play outside afterwards

Lunch at 11:45 (cereal, Vegie, and 4 oz bottle offered. Again, working on cup). I have also started a cracker or dry toast to chew on while they are waiting. DCB loves whole wheat toast, I found out today. I also offered Zwieback, which went over really well.

Nap 12:30-3:15 or so

Upon waking ) a 7-8 oz bottle)

Dinner at home: vegie, meat or cereal, a little formula 6:00 ish

Bottle, then bed at 8ish

Girls family is a little more schedule oriented, and she is an awesome sleeper. Boy is still working on it. They both eat about 4 oz of vegie/fruit mixed with the cereal. I make it really clumpy, so they used to the idea of chewing.

Over the next month, I will introduce finger-food versions of their foods, as they are getting better at chewing and using their cups (with lids).

By 10 months or so, they will eat what everyone else eats and will get all their formula in cups here.
Familycare71 01:17 PM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Mine are on the same schedule (7 1/2 g and 8 months Sat boy)

Bottle at waking (7 oz or so)

Breakfast with the rest of us (cereal, fruit, and 4 oz in a bottle, working on cup) at 8:45..sometimes they drink the 4 oz, sometimes only 1 or 2.

Nap 9:15-10:00 (I wake them), then we all go for a walk and play outside afterwards

Lunch at 11:45 (cereal, Vegie, and 4 oz bottle offered. Again, working on cup). I have also started a cracker or dry toast to chew on while they are waiting. DCB loves whole wheat toast, I found out today. I also offered Zwieback, which went over really well.

Nap 12:30-3:15 or so

Upon waking ) a 7-8 oz bottle)

Dinner at home: vegie, meat or cereal, a little formula 6:00 ish

Bottle, then bed at 8ish

Girls family is a little more schedule oriented, and she is an awesome sleeper. Boy is still working on it. They both eat about 4 oz of vegie/fruit mixed with the cereal. I make it really clumpy, so they used to the idea of chewing.

Over the next month, I will introduce finger-food versions of their foods, as they are getting better at chewing and using their cups (with lids).

By 10 months or so, they will eat what everyone else eats and will get all their formula in cups here.
This is a simuliar schedule that I have always done- except weening from a bottle so early...
Heidi 01:27 PM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
This is a simuliar schedule that I have always done- except weening from a bottle so early...
They'll still get them at home in the morning and at night. It's an approximation, though, depending on how well they do with a cup.
Crazy8 06:21 PM 07-30-2013
Wow, my little guy is way behind that type of schedule! He gets about 5 bottles a day, 7-8 oz. each and then some cereal at dinner. I've never introduced a cup this early either!
LaLa1923 06:33 PM 07-30-2013
I start introducing a cup at 6months.

7-7:30 Oatmeal/fruit/ bottle 4-6 oz

8-9 Nap/ I wake them/ outside/walk

11- 11:30 Lunch/ Veggie or Fruit / Bottle 6-8 oz

12:00-3 Nap

3:00 - Bottle 6-8 oz
Laurel 07:46 PM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I have a baby who is going to start having solids here (been doing at home for a little while now) and I am trying to figure out when to get them in. He's a good boy with a happy disposition, a hefty eater and he goes for naps pretty easily if he's been awake about 2.5-3 hours. I'd just like some ideas on a good schedule if he wakes up about 7am (and gets bottle) and he goes home about 4-4:30pm.
Right now I have a 6 1/2 month old. I don't even ask what he gets at home and feed him when he is hungry at my house.

He has been eating 1 jar food and 1 bottle at 9:30 (gets to my house at 8:00), 1 jar food and 1 bottle at 12:30 and 1 bottle only at 3:00. At some point I think he'll need food at 3:00 also.

I don't bother with cups until about 10 months or later.

Laurel
blandino 08:19 PM 07-30-2013
It's been a while since we've had a 8-9 month old. The last 8-9 month olds we had are now 13 & 14 months.

If I remember correctly...

6:30/7 bottle at home

8:00 Breakfast (beginning to introduce whole foods or babyfood) and puffs

9-10/10:30 Nap

10:30 bottle

12:00 Lunch

1:00 bottle (typically phasing this bottle out right around then)

1:30-3:00/3:30 nap

3:30 bottle.

** usually right around this time we drop one of the 3 bottles. Depending on each child, we drop the one they seem less interested in or that is close to meal times and can be eliminated without causing hunger.
Crazy8 07:59 AM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
It's been a while since we've had a 8-9 month old. The last 8-9 month olds we had are now 13 & 14 months.

If I remember correctly...

6:30/7 bottle at home

8:00 Breakfast (beginning to introduce whole foods or babyfood) and puffs

9-10/10:30 Nap

10:30 bottle

12:00 Lunch

1:00 bottle (typically phasing this bottle out right around then)

1:30-3:00/3:30 nap

3:30 bottle.

** usually right around this time we drop one of the 3 bottles. Depending on each child, we drop the one they seem less interested in or that is close to meal times and can be eliminated without causing hunger.
That looks like it would fit with my schedule pretty well, but I can't seem to get him to go down for nap at 9ish if he just got up at 7.
Reply Up