Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nanny Question
Msdunny 10:10 AM 10-23-2018
I shifted from in-home daycare to nanny care a couple of years ago. I needed my house back, and can make more money with fewer children.

My most recent family moved to another city, and I am looking at a new position. This would be for two families, watching their infants.

What should I ask or be aware of in this situation? I haven't done two families together before, and am afraid I'll miss an important detail to clarify up front.

TIA!!
Cat Herder 10:48 AM 10-23-2018
I was not aware the nanny tax allowed for multiple families to share a nanny. This is what I found, though.

"To afford professional, in-home childcare, many families look to share the cost of a nanny with another family. What are the legal ramifications of this arrangement?

For the purpose of discussing legal obligations, a Nanny Share is defined as two families sharing the expense of employing a nanny to care for their children as a group. The nanny and children may alternate between the two family homes, but care is provided to the children of both families as one job for the nanny. The nanny has two employers, each paying their agreed-upon share of her compensation.

If two families hire the same nanny to care for their children, but the care is provided separately, this is not a Nanny Share arrangement. This is different because the children are not cared for as a group – the nanny works for one family at a time and the children are cared for in their home. In this case, the nanny has two part-time jobs.

How to Handle Payroll, Taxes and Tax Breaks in a Nanny Share
In a Nanny Share, each family is viewed as a separate household employer in the eyes of the law (even if the care is provided in only one of the homes). The nanny takes direction from both families and both families share in the expense of her wages.

Each family is required to establish themselves as a household employer with the IRS and the state. The families should pay the nanny separately and withhold and remit payroll taxes appropriately to the IRS and state agencies on their portion of her salary. Although it may seem administratively easier to have one family handle tax withholdings and remittance on the full salary, this creates risk for the family who is not registered as a household employer with the IRS and the state tax agencies. In addition, there is risk for the family who pays the nanny in full and then has to collect from the second family.

Tax Breaks Available When Both Families Pay Legally
Tax breaks are available when tax accounts are established with the IRS and the state to prove the nanny is paid legally. When each family is established as a household employer and is properly handling employer tax obligations on their portion of the Nanny Share, they are entitled to a tax break of up to $2,500 per year. Most families in a Nanny Share realize tax savings that far exceed their employer tax costs, so they actually come out ahead financially. For more information about tax breaks, see Dependent Care Tax Breaks or visit our Employer Budget Calculator for an estimate of your savings." - http://www.myhomepay.com/Answers/NannyShare
Ariana 11:36 AM 10-23-2018
It is very important in a nanny share to cover your butt if one family backs out of care, if one child gets sick and misses a day and vacations for you and the parents. I would write up a contract for everything that could potentially go wrong and go from there. I would also alott myself some paid sick days and stat holidays as well. To me you are basically an in home daycare provider but the chikdcare is being done at their house. I would also be wary of them trying to get you to do housekeeping while taking care of two infants.
CalCare 12:34 PM 10-23-2018
I would definitely do a contract with at least two weeks paid term required, if not a month. Because they are going to live this arrangement. You are the one who will get screwed when one quits suddenly. As always, pay before care.
rosieteddy 05:06 PM 10-23-2018
I actually did this for 2 months years ago.I was paid a weekly fee with the taxes taken out of my check weekly.The parents formed some kind of partnership that covered the payroll.I had the usual contract ,paid holidays vacation ect.I started at one house 2 days a week then went to the other house the other days.I did not like this arrangement and after 2 months gave notice ,got relicensed and reopened my daycare. I would suggest one family as a nanny,the parents are the boss in this situation and sometimes do not agree on things.
Msdunny 01:35 PM 10-24-2018
Thanks for the advice. My last Nanny position was great, except for the looooooong hours (60-80 per week). Great money, especially with all that overtime, but crappy hours!

I am a little skittish with this new opportunity, and want to go to the interview fully prepared to ask for what I need. And to lay all the ground rules out before we start!
Tags:exemptions, nanny, nanny - keeping records, nanny contract, nanny regulations, nanny share, nanny tax, ratio, tax filing
Reply Up