Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying Outside
Ariana 07:44 AM 11-15-2018
Now that it’s cold and we have snow I have a 14 month old that cries the ENTIRE time we are outside. Every year it’s the same thing. Winter hits and I have a kid who cries outside every time.

So far ignoring is not really working and she is ruining outside time for everyone . What do you do in these situations? I cut outdoor time today because my patience was wearing thin but obviously this is not fair to the other kids.
storybookending 07:58 AM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Now that it’s cold and we have snow I have a 14 month old that cries the ENTIRE time we are outside. Every year it’s the same thing. Winter hits and I have a kid who cries outside every time.

So far ignoring is not really working and she is ruining outside time for everyone . What do you do in these situations? I cut outdoor time today because my patience was wearing thin but obviously this is not fair to the other kids.
I had this last year with a kid that was 12-16 months during winter last year. It took a long time for him to get over it but I just ignored the best I could. A lot of his issues dealt with mobility and getting frustrated when he would fall and have a hard time getting back up due to his boots/snowpants.

This year my baby is 14 months (tomorrow to be exact). He did okay yesterday on our first day out, he’s been mobile for a good while now and very steady. He started with me in March of this year when he was 6 months old but got picked up before outside time most days. By the time July/August rolled around schedules had changed and he was outside with us on the daily. He was afraid of grass for forever so outside time was rough for him for awhile. I started laying out a picnic blanket with a few toys and then sitting about 5-10 feet away from it. It took awhile but then he realized it was more fun off the blanket.
Cat Herder 08:00 AM 11-15-2018
I move the party pooper to the gated back deck. They are safe, have things to play with, have a soft seating/blanket area and are far enough away from the playground to not be so disruptive to the group at large.

I also use it as an extra art room for older DCK's when infants/toddlers are being particularly whiny and they need a mental health break from the noise.

Both decks and playground are enclosed in another, larger, fenced area, gated deck opens into my kitchen. All visible from video at all times.
Ariana 08:18 AM 11-15-2018
She started walking a few weeks ago and outside time up to that point was miserable because she HAD to touch the ground to crawl and explore....so she preferred to whine and cry while sitting in the same spot. She wants me to carry her around which I refuse to do! Hopefully it passed soon because I love my outside time.

Cat Herder I wish I had somewhere to put her like that. I have moved her all over and try to get her to walk around etc etc. but she is stubborn to say the least. There are no tears so it is a total tantrum!!!
mommyneedsadayoff 08:33 AM 11-15-2018
I know it might not be possible concerning licensing, but maybe a stroller for her to just sit in off the ground? At least until she starts to lighten up or get a better hang of walking? Outside time is my favorite time of day, so that sounds super stressful to hear kid cry the whole time.
Cat Herder 08:40 AM 11-15-2018
Cat Herder I wish I had somewhere to put her like that. I have moved her all over and try to get her to walk around etc etc. but she is stubborn to say the least. There are no tears so it is a total tantrum!!!
When I had one with high medical needs, who could not be that far away from me, I used a plastic kiddie pool surrounded by a cheap plastic baby gate (not the nice metal ones I use indoors). Tossed in a couple blankets, manipulatives, hand mirrors (super fun in cold weather to blow on and fog) and/or ball pit balls. Easy to set up, quick to break down. Stored hanging on a fence so it did not fill (mostly freezing rain, here ) before use. If tantruming, then she went in there. When she stopped she rejoined her friends. That age group can be relentless outside.
Ariana 09:59 AM 11-15-2018
These are some great ideas! I have a sled and a wagon that might help. Maybe if I can get her to have fun and enjoy herself without being in my arms she will start to enjoy being outside in the cold!
BrynleeJean 12:26 PM 11-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I move the party pooper to the gated back deck. They are safe, have things to play with, have a soft seating/blanket area and are far enough away from the playground to not be so disruptive to the group at large.

I also use it as an extra art room for older DCK's when infants/toddlers are being particularly whiny and they need a mental health break from the noise.

Both decks and playground are enclosed in another, larger, fenced area, gated deck opens into my kitchen. All visible from video at all times.
Love this
my backyard is too small for this, criers probably disturb neighbors three doors down my yard is so small. And no snow here but on particularly cold days, under 40 or so with nasty wind chills, i just put everyone in the bye bye buggy for a walk instead of going out in the back because i can bundle up the babies and they like the drum on the buggy and the changing scenery, though the wind is super cold non have cried on my walks yet.
Flowerchild 05:40 AM 11-16-2018

I just bring the child in. We never did more than 15 and ruined it for everyone including me. I can't understand how one child who is always on only gets tired after a measly 15 minutes walking around the grass lol. I just brought her in because I'm not holding her for 15 minutes
Ariana 07:31 AM 11-16-2018
We had a big dump of snow so I brought out the slides and we did some sledding around the yard and she had a blast!! We were out for an hour with very minimal crying

Thank God for this forum and all the great advice
Flowerchild 10:28 AM 11-16-2018
We had a big dump of snow so I brought out the slides and we did some sledding around the yard and she had a blast!! We were out for an hour with very minimal crying

Thank God for this forum and all the great advice
Great ideas. Maybe find some activities that the enjoy outdoors? We did water day in the summer where they splashed around the water in bathing suits and sprinklers.
Tags:playground, tantrums
Reply Up