Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents picking up at unexpected times
Unregistered 01:16 PM 05-20-2014
My rant for the day...

Every one of my parents has picked their child up at an unexpected time today which has completely disrupted my schedule! My one parent called and said she would be here at what is supposed to be nap time, so I decided to rearrange my schedule so she wouldn't wake everyone up while they were sleeping. I fed the kids lunch a little early and moved up nap time. Then she called later to say the Grand mom would pick the child up a bit earlier than she first told me (which would not have affected nap time) but since I moved nap time up, Grand mom came in and woke everyone up!

A dad showed up 1/2 hour early - at the exact time that I had just let my dog out so my dog would have a chance to go potty and be put away in his room before the dad got there. So that was a fiasco. My dog is still a year old. He is still very excited and wants to get attention from anyone that comes in the house/yard. So I try to have him put away so he doesn't drive my parents crazy, jump on them, etc.

The daycare children were playing in the back room, so I let my daughter eat and watch television in the front room ( which is where the front door is that the parents have to use). If I allow her to do that, I typically watch for parents and make her turn off the tv and run her food into the kitchen quickly so the parents don't see her eating/watching tv because even though they are in a different room, the daycare kids can see into the front room. God forbid that my personal child eat and watch a tv show in her own house.

Anyway, I had expected a grandparent to come early today, but after a half an hour of them being late, I gave up on them and thought maybe the parent was picking up instead, so I let my daughter eat and watch tv. Well, then the grandparent showed up 1/2 hour late and saw my daughter in the front room eating and with the tv on.

The last parent that messed up my schedule came again when I had the dog outside. That time, her child was the last one here, so I had her child outside playing and the dog outside as well. Next thing I know, the mom pulls up. It took a few moments to get the dog to stop being excited about her being here and get him baby gated on the stairwell so she could come in. Then she made a comment about not liking pets. I wasn't quite sure how to take that comment.

I have told everyone that because of the dog, if they are going to be here at an unexpected time, to call me, even if it's just from around the corner. Call me and give me a couple of minutes to get the dog put away before they walk up to the yard with him outside.

Today was just too chaotic for me because of parents showing up at unexpected times.
CraftyMom 01:30 PM 05-20-2014
ugh I hear ya! It doesn't take much to throw off the whole day!
Heidi 01:43 PM 05-20-2014
My parents are all pretty considerate, but I did have to dredge the "no pickups during nap time" policy this year. Mostly, just parents making doctors appts for the kiddos during that time.

My reasoning is two-fold. One, who wants their child to go to the doctor after being awakened early or not napped? Talk about asking for trouble!

The other reason (ok, the REAL reason) is because I don't want the dog barking, kids awakened by one another, etc.

Besides.... they need their rest time!
drseuss 04:39 PM 05-20-2014
It would probably surprise parents to know just how much those changes throw off our tight group-oriented schedules. I've got one parent that is like nailing jello to the freaking wall trying to get a consistent drop off and pick up time. It's just not happening with them. Drives me nuts. Drop off and pick up times both vary by about 90 minutes. Not a big deal to them. I'm considering wording some things in my handbook the way I've read that some of the providers here do to keep things more consistent.
SignMeUp 04:54 PM 05-20-2014
Originally Posted by drseuss:
like nailing jello to the freaking wall
This is my new favorite saying
And I've had parents like that
TwinKristi 06:51 PM 05-20-2014
I have a new family that is like this. I like them but they're consistency with drop offs & pickups are awful. Part of it is their odd schedule and part is not telling me in advance. Mom drops off earlier and picks up later than dad does so I know when he's gone it's long days. But Monday I could have slept in a little had I known they weren't coming til 9!
I had one DCD that picks up during nap and it's always a pain but the alternative is working longer hours for the same rate! May as well send her home at 1:30 and be done with it than wait til she wakes up at 2:30 and the other kids are easier to wake than at 1:30. KWIM?
Cradle2crayons 07:01 PM 05-20-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My rant for the day...

Every one of my parents has picked their child up at an unexpected time today which has completely disrupted my schedule! My one parent called and said she would be here at what is supposed to be nap time, so I decided to rearrange my schedule so she wouldn't wake everyone up while they were sleeping. I fed the kids lunch a little early and moved up nap time. Then she called later to say the Grand mom would pick the child up a bit earlier than she first told me (which would not have affected nap time) but since I moved nap time up, Grand mom came in and woke everyone up!

A dad showed up 1/2 hour early - at the exact time that I had just let my dog out so my dog would have a chance to go potty and be put away in his room before the dad got there. So that was a fiasco. My dog is still a year old. He is still very excited and wants to get attention from anyone that comes in the house/yard. So I try to have him put away so he doesn't drive my parents crazy, jump on them, etc.

The daycare children were playing in the back room, so I let my daughter eat and watch television in the front room ( which is where the front door is that the parents have to use). If I allow her to do that, I typically watch for parents and make her turn off the tv and run her food into the kitchen quickly so the parents don't see her eating/watching tv because even though they are in a different room, the daycare kids can see into the front room. God forbid that my personal child eat and watch a tv show in her own house.

Anyway, I had expected a grandparent to come early today, but after a half an hour of them being late, I gave up on them and thought maybe the parent was picking up instead, so I let my daughter eat and watch tv. Well, then the grandparent showed up 1/2 hour late and saw my daughter in the front room eating and with the tv on.

The last parent that messed up my schedule came again when I had the dog outside. That time, her child was the last one here, so I had her child outside playing and the dog outside as well. Next thing I know, the mom pulls up. It took a few moments to get the dog to stop being excited about her being here and get him baby gated on the stairwell so she could come in. Then she made a comment about not liking pets. I wasn't quite sure how to take that comment.

I have told everyone that because of the dog, if they are going to be here at an unexpected time, to call me, even if it's just from around the corner. Call me and give me a couple of minutes to get the dog put away before they walk up to the yard with him outside.

Today was just too chaotic for me because of parents showing up at unexpected times.
Those reasons are why I absolutely do NOT allow pick up during nap times. Period. Because the few times years ago I allowed it, it was a mess.

Secondly, I require all parents to text at the exit so I can be sure my dogs are inside. We live in the woods and have a doggie door.
Unregistered 04:46 AM 05-21-2014
I do have it in my handbook that they are to be within 10 minutes of their scheduled arrival/departure times. That gives them a few minutes for traffic or other issues. If they are going to be more than 10 minutes late, they are to call me. Typically they do, but no one did yesterday!

I also have it that if they are arriving at unexpected times, due to having a dog, they are to call me before arriving unexpectedly so I can put my dog away. I then tell them on the interview that even if they call me from the a block away, just call me and give me a minute or so to get my dog in the house and put away. Typically they do, but yesterday, they didn't and it just messed up my whole day.

It's all in my handbook.
Unregistered 04:51 AM 05-21-2014
I, however, do not have a policy about not picking up during nap time. Personally, if they want to pick their child up early, that's GREAT for me! If they tell me they are picking up at naptime, either I move naptime so they are actually all up when the parent arrives, or I lay their child closer to the door, have their stuff ready to go, tell the parent to be very quiet, have the dog put away, and I watch out the window for the parent. If the parent arrives at the scheduled time, it's no problem. The problems come when the parent did like she did yesterday and tell me one time for pick up, so I rearranged naptime, then she called back and switched the time to a different time. By then, I had already laid the kids down, didn't have her child by the door or her stuff ready.
Reply Up