Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Regular Sub?
DaveA 06:15 AM 08-07-2014
Sorry if the title's confusing- not sure how to phrase it. I'm just typing out loud.

I was talking with my wife about some upcoming changes to my program (rates, openings/ child moving, etc.) and I realized I'm spread a bit thin. In addition to running the home daycare I run a craft business (bladesmithing) and teach CPR/ First Aid. The teaching pretty much is not an issue, but I need more time to devote to the craft business.

I was thinking about bringing in a sub every other Friday. It would give me more shop time, and cover me the few times a year I have to close on a Friday to go to a show. Financially it's a wash- the added expense would be pretty much offset by the increase in the bladesmithing $. If they came in twice a month I wouldn't exceed monthly maximum hours for a sub.

Does anybody have a regular sub come in so they can do something else?

Thanks
hope 06:27 AM 08-07-2014
Last year I hired two subs. One was a girl going to college to be a nurse and the other finished her 4 years of college and on to med school to be a doctor. I knew them both for many years. I hired them to come and help so I could get my DD to and from school and also for when I wanted to make doctors appointments or do something at DD'S school. I paid them well ($15 an hour) bc it was only a few hours here and there so I needed to make it worth it for them and also bc they really were trust worthy, hard working, caring workers. Parents loved that I didn't have to call out closed whenever something came up.
Look into your local college to advertise. Even if financially it's a wash, you will have peace of mind knowing you have a reliable back up and the parents will be pleased to have reliable back up also.
mamamanda 06:33 AM 08-07-2014
I don't currently have a regular sub, but I did have for a few months last year. It was wonderful. I took my son to swim lessons every week & the sub stayed with the dcks one morning each week. I loved it. If you can afford it, I would say go for it.
melilley 07:07 AM 08-07-2014
I wish!
My sister is my sub when I need her, but she's an RN and works nights so I only ask her if I really need her.

Oh, but do I dream of having someone who could come in every once in a while! If you can afford it, I would say go for it!
AmyKidsCo 07:23 AM 08-07-2014
I don't personally but I do know of family providers who do have a sub come in on a regular basis. As long as the sub is reliable and you can afford it I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work! Good for you for finding balance!
DaveA 10:43 AM 08-07-2014
I like the idea of advertising at the local college. Thanks
MyAngels 10:49 AM 08-07-2014
For the first time in 20 years I've needed a sub regularly this year and found it impossible in my area to find someone who has the proper qualifications to do it. Hope you have better luck than I have
MOM OF 4 12:03 PM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Sorry if the title's confusing- not sure how to phrase it. I'm just typing out loud.

I was talking with my wife about some upcoming changes to my program (rates, openings/ child moving, etc.) and I realized I'm spread a bit thin. In addition to running the home daycare I run a craft business (bladesmithing) and teach CPR/ First Aid. The teaching pretty much is not an issue, but I need more time to devote to the craft business.

I was thinking about bringing in a sub every other Friday. It would give me more shop time, and cover me the few times a year I have to close on a Friday to go to a show. Financially it's a wash- the added expense would be pretty much offset by the increase in the bladesmithing $. If they came in twice a month I wouldn't exceed monthly maximum hours for a sub.

Does anybody have a regular sub come in so they can do something else?

Thanks
I was thinking of Jersey Mike's regular Turkey sandwich sub...lol

Naw Just kidding! LOL

I never had a sub, but my kids' DCP does and she loves it! It is a wash, but she can do appt's and pick up B/A school kids as well much easier.
Tags:substitute
Reply Up