Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crying at drop off
Baby Beluga 10:01 AM 08-15-2014
I have a newly turned 2 year old who cries at drop off. He cries for mom says "I want mom" for 1-3 minutes (if that) then stops and is fine for the rest of the day. Mom sent a text today wondering why he is still crying at drop off because in the past "it only lasts 2 or 3 days." Today is his fifth day with me.

He starts yawing pretty early in the morning (goes to bed at 7pm and wakes at 5:45/6:00am) so I suggested perhaps he was tired. She did not seem to agree.

How should I approach this with mom? I feel defensive, almost like she is saying "well, with the other lady is was x days but with you its longer" She has NOT said that, just my feelings.

I want her to understand that 1) His crying does not concern, upset or annoy me. I think it's pretty typical for his age and in the past I have had children who always cried at drop off for mom/dad and were then fine seconds later. But, I understand from a mom's point of view how hard it is to hear your child cry at drop off.

Suggestions?
TheGoodLife 11:11 AM 08-15-2014
It is natural at this age to cry- it's his way of saying "I'll miss you" to his mom. Can you send a pic of him playing a couple mins after drop off to show he's happy and content?
Cat Herder 11:47 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

2 year old who cries at drop off.

Mom sent a text today wondering why he is still crying at drop off because in the past "it only lasts 2 or 3 days."

Today is his fifth day with me.
I'd be tempted to tell her the truth.

He is two and has had enough new places to transition to that you know how long it takes him to acclimate??? . That is troubling... poor little guy.

How many moves has he had to make? Why?

But that probably won't make you any friends....
ColorfulSunburst 11:55 AM 08-15-2014
tell to the mom that her son stops to cry and seems happy as soon as she goes away.
Baby Beluga 12:10 PM 08-15-2014
I have told her and sent a photo of him happy/doing an activity he enjoys.

DCK's mom is a very nice woman, and DCK is sweet as can be.

She is is not a teacher, but works with them. From my understanding he was with his aunt (I think? It was some family member) and her child and then mom enrolled him into an in home about 4 months ago. When she came back from summer break I guess the gal went from having 4 or 5 children to 9 and DCK's mom thought that was a bit much and felt he would do better in a smaller group as that is what he has always been in. They also watched a good amount of TV at the other in home from what I gather. He also had grandma visiting over the summer....

I personally think: 1) it is normal behavior for a 2 year old. 2) sounds like he has had some big changes and events over the past couple of months so that could be adding to it. AND it's not continuous. Literally he stops before she drives away from the house and doesn't do it again until the next day. He doesn't even ask for her throughout the day...
KidGrind 12:11 PM 08-15-2014
My response:

He cries. Maybe he misses you. Maybe he misses his previous provider. Maybe he likes the attention he receives when he cries. What I know for sure is once you leave he cries for all of 1 to 3 minutes. Often times he stops before you’ve reached your car.
Reply Up