Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Contract Wording Issues For Renewing...
Abigail 06:51 PM 12-22-2012
I have a great contract for all families when they initially sign up. Now that it's been a year I changed the wording for my NSF checks since I know how my bank handles it now. I've also eliminated the prepaid 2 weeks to a registration fee. Now with this it's just a $50 per child one-time registration fee which is non-refundable. My issue is I've handed out the contracts again to parents to sign before January and I have the same statement in it. They're not required to pay it because it was initially when they signed up.

The same goes for the ending services that the first two weeks of care is a trial period and they are allowed to end the contract with no strings attached within the first two weeks from the date the contract was signed. Since they've attended my care for most of the year if they are getting new contracts to start 2013 so technically I'm giving them a "loop hole" where they literally could get up and walk tomorrow and I'm out. Not that I'm expecting everyone to do this, but it could happen.

How can I re-word it so I can keep the same contract for new families, but also existing families to fix this for next year when they will sign again?

I also use wording for the first day of care will be............... should I have that changed to "The first day of care for this contract will be............" to that it covers any previous contract start dates or does it not matter? I don't want to look back and think every child started in my care the same week everyone did their renewal contracts.
TomCopeland 12:19 PM 12-24-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I have a great contract for all families when they initially sign up. Now that it's been a year I changed the wording for my NSF checks since I know how my bank handles it now. I've also eliminated the prepaid 2 weeks to a registration fee. Now with this it's just a $50 per child one-time registration fee which is non-refundable. My issue is I've handed out the contracts again to parents to sign before January and I have the same statement in it. They're not required to pay it because it was initially when they signed up.

The same goes for the ending services that the first two weeks of care is a trial period and they are allowed to end the contract with no strings attached within the first two weeks from the date the contract was signed. Since they've attended my care for most of the year if they are getting new contracts to start 2013 so technically I'm giving them a "loop hole" where they literally could get up and walk tomorrow and I'm out. Not that I'm expecting everyone to do this, but it could happen.

How can I re-word it so I can keep the same contract for new families, but also existing families to fix this for next year when they will sign again?

I also use wording for the first day of care will be............... should I have that changed to "The first day of care for this contract will be............" to that it covers any previous contract start dates or does it not matter? I don't want to look back and think every child started in my care the same week everyone did their renewal contracts.
I'd use the language, "The first day of care for this contract will be....."
You can have different contracts for each parent, so you just change your language for the old families. So, for old families, your contract would not contain the language that they can end the contract without penalty within the first two weeks after the contract was signed. Just say that parents must give a two week notice, period.
Abigail 04:32 PM 12-25-2012
Isn't their an easier way so I can just have one contract per family whether they're re-signing or just signing up? I have some blanks on my contracts for parents to fill in annually so it's easy for me to keep wording the same since I hand-write in the rate and schedule and the parents write in their basic information.

Can I add language to the start of the trial period stating that the trial period is only for first-time enrollments and does not apply for those who have previously attended "daycare name" or something?

Then again, I do have a one-time registration fee and that wording would also need to be the same that it's only required for those who have NOT previously attended. Maybe I should create a first-time contract and then a renewal contract like you said stating a 2 week notice is required and then just omit the registration fee? IF I do this route, then wouldn't I have to have it in writing somewhere that back at the first contract that the non-refundable registration fee was paid or does it not matter since it's non refunable anyways?
TomCopeland 10:24 AM 12-26-2012
Isn't their an easier way so I can just have one contract per family whether they're re-signing or just signing up? I have some blanks on my contracts for parents to fill in annually so it's easy for me to keep wording the same since I hand-write in the rate and schedule and the parents write in their basic information.

Can I add language to the start of the trial period stating that the trial period is only for first-time enrollments and does not apply for those who have previously attended "daycare name" or something?

Then again, I do have a one-time registration fee and that wording would also need to be the same that it's only required for those who have NOT previously attended. Maybe I should create a first-time contract and then a renewal contract like you said stating a 2 week notice is required and then just omit the registration fee? IF I do this route, then wouldn't I have to have it in writing somewhere that back at the first contract that the non-refundable registration fee was paid or does it not matter since it's non refunable anyways?
Yes, you can certainly add a phrase saying that the trial period is for first-time enrollments only. It sounds like my idea of separate contracts for each parent makes the most sense. Since your first contract stated that the registration fee was a one-time, nonrefundable fee, you don't need to put this in the new contract with these parents.
Abigail 04:06 PM 12-26-2012
So I should technically have two contracts. One with everything like I have for FIRST TIME signing and then each year when I update they will get a shorter "renewal" contract that doesn't say anything about a registrating fee and I also will have to remove the paragraph about the trial period just keeping it that two weeks is required for parents, but not the provider.

Would I give the renewal contract a title like "Daycare Name Renewal Contract" or is their a better way to state that? This makes a lot of sense to do just 2 contracts. I'm also going to start separate contracts per child. I did for one family because I know the parents were not the same so pickup and emergency and living information was going to be different so at least I got that step right! It's definitely easier looking at each child's file instead of sibling's files too.
TomCopeland 11:30 AM 12-27-2012
So I should technically have two contracts. One with everything like I have for FIRST TIME signing and then each year when I update they will get a shorter "renewal" contract that doesn't say anything about a registrating fee and I also will have to remove the paragraph about the trial period just keeping it that two weeks is required for parents, but not the provider.

Would I give the renewal contract a title like "Daycare Name Renewal Contract" or is their a better way to state that? This makes a lot of sense to do just 2 contracts. I'm also going to start separate contracts per child. I did for one family because I know the parents were not the same so pickup and emergency and living information was going to be different so at least I got that step right! It's definitely easier looking at each child's file instead of sibling's files too.
Yes, do 2 contracts. You don't need any special language for a contract that is being renewed. If the parents are resigning the new contract, just call it your "contract."
Tags:renewal of contract, updating contract
Reply Up