Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I think all the DCParents
Thriftylady 03:22 PM 08-20-2014
Should have to take this class. I am taking it but it is much like many others I have taken. Can't help it though I am always taking free college classes from this site. But so many parents need this one! https://www.coursera.org/learn/childnutrition
Unregistered 03:40 PM 08-20-2014
I love Coursera!! Can't believe I missed this one.
Thriftylady 03:44 PM 08-20-2014
I meant for the title to mean parents, when I see I made it read providers oops my bad.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I meant for the title to mean parents, when I see I made it read providers oops my bad.
I fixed it for you.

NannyDe requires her parents to all watch Food Inc, before she enrolls them in her care.

I think it is a brilliant way to help parents understand her beliefs about food and nutrition.
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

NannyDe requires her parents to all watch Food Inc, before she enrolls them in her care.
Ugh, she made me watch it, too.

Been in my skinny jeans consistently for almost 5 years, now...

Nightmares have not stopped, though...
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Ugh, she made me watch it, too.

Been in my skinny jeans consistently for almost 5 years, now...

Nightmares have not stopped, though...
same here...

then I moved on to:

ALL worth watching.
nannyde 07:52 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
same here...

then I moved on to:
  • Forks Over Knives
  • Food Fight
  • Killer at Large
  • King Corn
  • Fast Food Nation
  • Our Daily Bread
  • and Food Matters

ALL worth watching.
Yes yes yes. Great list. King corn will change the way you buy food.

The part where they had their hair analyzed. Ugh

Michael can add some to this list I bet.

Food inc is a MUST.
Cat Herder 08:02 AM 08-21-2014
Ladies, please don't ruin olives, garlic, shellfish, black beans or raw nuts for me. Please That is where I draw the line.

Will check them out!!

OP, great thread.
midaycare 08:17 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes yes yes. Great list. King corn will change the way you buy food.

The part where they had their hair analyzed. Ugh

Michael can add some to this list I bet.

Food inc is a MUST.
How do you make them watch it? Just curious how you know they did it.
Cat Herder 08:25 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Just curious how you know they did it.
Because they call her at midnight to talk them down, I'd guess.

The horror will show in their eyes... they get skinny fast... they tell her off for ruining carbo loading... stop me at any time...
Attached: cost.jpg (39.1 KB) chicken.jpg (11.3 KB) MeatWithoutDrugs1.jpg (31.7 KB) 
BrooklynM 08:46 AM 08-21-2014
I loved and hated Food Inc. It was terrifying. I know that growing up with happy chickens (for eggs, not for slaughter) and homegrown fruits and veggies I really had no idea what to expect from the supermarket! I moved away from where my parents are and lord knows I have the worst green thumb ever and as much as I'd love to have chickens, I don't want the responsibility. I will only by cage free eggs. I feel like if everyone does it will drive the prices down.

I buy mostly organic, except for the clean 15.
nannyde 09:01 AM 08-21-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
How do you make them watch it? Just curious how you know they did it.
Quiz em
Thriftylady 09:25 AM 08-21-2014
I watched food inc. several years ago. I grew up raising our own chickens and such, and was horrified at the way these things are done to put in our grocery stores. I was appalled. I have a farm nearby where I buy as much of our meat as I can afford. They have chicken, lamb and pork there all farm raised. I get ALL of our eggs there also. Nice to be able to walk onto the farm to buy produce and meet the chickens as they run around the yard lol. I always ask them "did you produce the eggs I am buying today?".
midaycare 09:59 AM 08-21-2014
Meat that is made without antibiotics is terribly expensive around here. 2 chicken breasts run $20. We just can't afford that. But we do what we can to buy organic with fruits and veggies.
Naptime yet? 10:06 AM 08-21-2014
I started taking this class, but still haven't finished.

By no means am I the food police, but it was funny that I happened to be reading my dd a book about nutrition this am when my first dcb (2) walks in with chocolate donuts. Last week it was brownies.
Reply Up