Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Type Of Childcare Do You Run?
Country Kids 09:00 PM 11-03-2011
Not sure how to set up a poll but curious of how you do your childcare?

I'm taking this weekend till next weekend and revamping my childcare. Not sure what I want to do so even if I experiment with something every month I will till I find one that works great for us.

Right now we are doing preschool, the kids love it but struggle with aspects of it. Can't sit still or be quiet for storytime, fight over where to sit for circle time, fight when there is free play, and I can go on and on but will stop. Making my love for teaching slowly deminish. The two year olds are usually the hardest but if they don't want to do something and I let them go do their own thing then everyone loses interest and wants to get down.

So here are the choices I was thinking about:

Preschool with free play-Do you do part preschool with free play in the morning. Preschool in the morning and free play in the afternoon. Is freeplay inside/outside/both.

Nature School-Where your childcare is all about learning about nature and playing outside. We live in town so we would only have the backyard. I think they would become bored with just playing but I could be wrong. Being outside for 4 hours everyday might not be so much fun, especially in the rain/coldness.

Free range-Children doing whatever they want. I see alot of fighting with this and getting tired of playing with toys all day long. I would be bored because I'm a teacher by nature so just watching kids playing would drive me insane I think.

Home environment-You do a normal day as if your kids were home (mine aren't) and run it like a home. Cooking, cleaning, tv on, laundry, yard work, etc.. I see this as being hard because I can't leave this bunch to make lunch, go to the bathroom because someone is always unhappy about something. I also wouldn't be able to go into other parts of the house because can't hear or see them. So I wouldn't still get much done except in two rooms.

My parents really enjoy the children do preschool. One even said today how they loved the little one getting to have new experiences that they weren't able to do and thanked me for doing this. This was a mom that was very hesitant about child going on field trips and now loves the fact of me doing stuff with the child.

If you can think of another type of childcare or one you do that I didn't post please feel free to tell me. I'm an old dog looking to learn a new trick!
Michelle 09:17 PM 11-03-2011
Have you thought about doing preschool Mon./wed./fri.?
and do some mixture of home environment / out door care the other two days.
I do preschool also and I think 5 days a week is too much for 2 year olds.
We can usually get in 3 days and the other 2 days , we do field trips and have fun with them.
Michael 12:39 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Not sure how to set up a poll but curious of how you do your childcare?
To start a poll; when you start your thread there are more options at the bottom of your page. Click on the "Start a Poll" option and follow the instructions once you post your thread.
erinalexmom 03:02 AM 11-04-2011
Not sure this is what I am going to stick with but heres what I do now.
1)arrive and breakfast
2)free play and get everyone ready for the day. Some of my parents bring the kid to me in pj's cause they are up so early.
3) circle time. circle time involves something different everyday. One day we'll read a story, one day we'll dance, one day flannel board story,ect. The honestly learn the most at this time of day. Because they love circle time. So I incorporate our "learning" into it. For example we sing the number rock (learning to count to 20). Right now we are also learning the pledge of allegience.
4) then we do eigther outside play or free play or centers.Now, my centers are different in the fact that they arent out any time except that time. So what I do is, I set hoola hoops on my floor and put a big ziplock bag in the hoola hoop. The bags each contain a different activity. For example last month one had orange spiders and black spiders and two bowls and they had to sort them by color. One had orange playdo and pumpkin molds. (we do this at the table)
I will say that most any craft is done during center time or free play time. meaning I have 1 child at a time come to the table to do thier craft while the rest do centers or free play.
Also, I do centers based on thier age level. I always have at least one center for my son who is older than the rest. They get to pick where they go,but they have to stay there till the timer goes off (8min) and then they switch. Sometimes we switch once sometimes twice (depends on attention span of the day)
5)lunch (I can prepare lunch while they do centers) keep in mind the behavior problems are low at this time because they are all seperated
6) nap
7) snack
8)pickups for all but 2 and then my last two free play until pick up.

So in my opinion we learn alot in a day. (my success story is a 3yr old who came in june who could do nothing who can now dress himself,potty trained,count to 20, knows all his shapes and all his colors)

But I dont like "sit down at the table" preschool. It might work for others but its just not the way I was taught so it would be uncomfortable for me KWIM?
The parents are happy though because we still have "papers" to take home soemtimes (done 1child at a time during free play or centers) and I am happy because I do it my way.
Hope that helps in some way
erinalexmom 03:08 AM 11-04-2011
Keep in mind, you are facilitator for the childs "self exploration" meaning that you are there to offer materials and ideas.
I am big on "incidental learning" though. Like I said its just the way I was taught. So I could be totally off base as the fact is that was about 15 years ago since I was in school. Man, I'm old!
melskids 03:31 AM 11-04-2011
I am play based.

I, personally, could never sit in a circle and teach "at" kids. It's just not me. everything we do is hands-on type of learning. We're learning as we go.

I can't over plan anything. I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants depending on what the kiddos are into that week, or day....lol

I am all about "teachable moments".

People think child led or free range means the kids are in control and run a muck in your house, but thats not true. My kids still have structure and rules to follow.

They simply "choose" what area to play in, and what topics we are learning about.

Some days we have big projects going, some days are too beautiful outside to do anything but be out there, some days we just play, some days are just like being home and they see me / help me around the house (weeding gardens, folding socks, etc) and some days we say heck with it all and snuggle on the couch.

Then there are some days when full bellies, clean bottoms, and the fact that no one lost a limb or any hair is considered a GOOD day.

At their ages, I'm also more teaching self help skills and social skills first. IMO, that is more important then if they can read in Chinese or do algebra. If they can zip their own coat and say excuse me, the rest is all gravy.
WImom 04:43 AM 11-04-2011
Childcare with Preschool Focus. I enroll ages 2-5.

Our schedule is:
7-8:30 - Free Play, arrival, breakfast
8:30-9:00 - we go outside or we do some sort of group activity - play board games, work on sorting, playdoh, etc. and some days it's still free play. If they are all playing nicely I will usually wait until 9am to do cleanup.
9:00-9:15-Snack
9:15-9:30-Circle Time/Story
9:30-9:45/10:00-Art
10:00-10:45-Free Play, offer scissor cutting, playdoh, etc if kids want, potty break time
10:45-11:30-Outside (Or indoor music and movement if raining/too cold, etc)
11:30-4:30 - Then lunch, naps,pm snack, free play - parent pickup
mismatchedsocks 05:14 AM 11-04-2011
Hm, Since I have kids anywhere from newborn to age5, then before and after schoolagers, I dont have a "preschool". I call it a semi structured learning environment.

We eat when they get here, then they have free time until about 9.

We then do "circle time" where we learn about feelings, weather, days of week, read a book, do a sign language, talk about spanish, talk about our night. This is a very laid back time.
We then go to the "tables" to have seat work as I call it. They do art project, do something that has to do with the spanish word, signed word or letter that we learned in "circle" time.
After that is snack time. They have all their stuff on low shelf and set their own tables, and I serve them, the messy stuff, and they self serve if they can.
Then we do outside time, and go for a walk to end outside time. Come in and have free time until lunch.
Lunch is served, same way as snack, then they lay down, I read them all a book, and they go to sleep for a few hours.
When they get up, they can read, puzzle, blocks, or lacing activities. Once everyone is up and ready we have a small snack. ( water and some sort of cracker) We play until the school agers get here.
We then work on small group projects with the school agers matched up with a younger child. This is some wort of free play TOGETHER, but lately have made a list of "ideas". This goes on until pick ups happen or light dinner is served about 430 if they are to eat here.

So we learn through out the day, we do worksheets, but mostly free art, or an art project that can be made however the child sees fit with same materials, and we talk about things throughout the day and I try to get them to tie it together. Sometimes we will talk about the same thing for a couple weeks! Lately we have been discussing the potty. So we learned it in spanish, sign language, read books, watched a video, and made up silly songs.
Cat Herder 05:52 AM 11-04-2011
We start with jumping jacks, running in place, sit ups, stretching and tumbling. This is followed by breakfast, art/storytime/circle time (whatever group activity I have planned for the day). We then go outside and run, climb, jump and have a nice picnic styled snack, then play some more.

Lunch is after clean-up then free play before nap. Afternoon varies based on weather and moodswings... Some days we go back outside because they are climbing the walls, some days we break out the tent village, tunnels, hop scotch mats, bean bag toss, ball pit or tumble mats and hoppers.

The last hour is a planned movie or dance video to go with our weekly theme, clean up/change clothes/brush hair for going home and parent arrivals. There is a FULL hour gap between my first departure and my last, now.

We are a VERY physically active group. The walls vibrate.

Toss in some individual PT, medication administration when necessary, paperwork, diaper changes, food prep/serving/cleanup, floor mopping, toy soaking, toy rotating, forum posting, cuddling, toddler dog piling, baby snuggling, parent email/text answering and redirecting behaviors and you have my day in a nutshell.

Rinse repeat. Then I go comatose on Friday evening at 6pm and my family waits on me hand and foot. Yeah, I wish on that last part.....
blueclouds29 06:04 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
I am play based.

I, personally, could never sit in a circle and teach "at" kids. It's just not me. everything we do is hands-on type of learning. We're learning as we go.

I can't over plan anything. I pretty much fly by the seat of my pants depending on what the kiddos are into that week, or day....lol

People think child led or free range means the kids are in control and run a muck in your house, but thats not true. My kids still have structure and rules to follow.

They simply "choose" what area to play in, and what topics we are learning about.

Some days we have big projects going, some days are too beautiful outside to do anything but be out there, some days we just play, some days are just like being home and they see me / help me around the house (weeding gardens, folding socks, etc) and some days we say heck with it all and snuggle on the couch.

Then there are some days when full bellies, clean bottoms, and the fact that no one lost a limb or any hair is considered a GOOD day.

At their ages, I'm also more teaching self help skills and social skills first. IMO, that is more important then if they can read in Chinese or do algebra. If they can zip their own coat and say excuse me, the rest is all gravy.

This is me. I only have 4 kids under 2. Really laid back days. We have 'circle time', outside time, dance time, naptime and lots of free play.
Lianne 06:14 AM 11-04-2011
When I first started I wanted to be the preschool teaching daycare provider. I had wonderful ideas and activities, meals were going to be warm, filling and nutritous, we'd play outside for hours everyday, I'd love every minute of my life because this was my childhood dream and I was finally fulfilling it.

Then I started and reality set in.

It took me a good two years or more to deal with the guilt that I felt over not having every minute of our day filled with fantastic activities. I'd read daycare forums or talk to other providers and they had these awesome themes, lessons and circle times planned, activities and crafts ready to go. They had 18mos olds toilet training and 2yr olds who could write their names, 3yr olds reading and 4yr olds that could spout off random impressive facts.

My group of kids just wanted to...play. They wanted to play with their friends and the toys without me getting involved. In fact, when I tried to play with them, things just got complicated and bickering happened but little problem solving occurred without my help. One week I decided to sit back and, amazingly, there were no disagreements and the kids played uninterrupted for hours. They did not want to stop playing to come to circle time or paint on some random shape with a stupid q-tip.

I also found that I was a lot less stressed out, had time to sit with a cup of coffee and I was highly amused listening in on the conversations of the kids while they played.

I felt really guilty for a long time that I wasn't doing these great activities that always stressed me out and cost me money for 30 seconds of the children's attention. I finally had to realize that I'm just not like those providers who run a preschool type program. I highly respect Crystal and love the idea of the program she runs. I think she knows more about children and teaching children than I will ever know and part of me wishes I could be like her and run the kind of program she runs. However, reality is, I'm just not. And, that's okay. I'm a different kind of provider and that's okay. It took me a long time to be okay with the type of provider I am and somedays I'm still not okay with it. Somedays I do want to be the 'sunshine and roses' type provider (as I call it) and try to do so. But, after a few days the kids are itching to just play and I'm stressed out and anxious.

Now, for the most part, the kids just play freely at my house. I make sure to have lots of toys out that adress various types of learning and occasionally I sit on the floor and the kids play around me. I do crafts when I feel like it or have an impromptu singing circle when the kids seem bored or need redirection. We don't get outside everyday but I do my best and try again the next day. When I start to feel like we aren't doing enough, I take it as a sign that we need to do more/better and plan an activity (just not six activities, lol).

Five years after I opened my home daycare I still love what I do. I'm happy with my imperfect program and my imperfect self. I have fantastic clients, great kids and I'm full. I can't ask for much more than that.
Crystal 06:34 AM 11-04-2011
Lianne...thank you, you brought tears to me eyes. Ya know, I have always highly respected you as well. I think you are a FABULOUS provider and a really cool person as well

Sorry for going off topic, OP.
abigailrw5 06:45 AM 11-04-2011
erinalexmom,
what is sing number rock? ((to count to 20)
Blackcat31 08:48 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Lianne:
When I first started I wanted to be the preschool teaching daycare provider. I had wonderful ideas and activities, meals were going to be warm, filling and nutritous, we'd play outside for hours everyday, I'd love every minute of my life because this was my childhood dream and I was finally fulfilling it.

Then I started and reality set in.

It took me a good two years or more to deal with the guilt that I felt over not having every minute of our day filled with fantastic activities. I'd read daycare forums or talk to other providers and they had these awesome themes, lessons and circle times planned, activities and crafts ready to go. They had 18mos olds toilet training and 2yr olds who could write their names, 3yr olds reading and 4yr olds that could spout off random impressive facts.

My group of kids just wanted to...play. They wanted to play with their friends and the toys without me getting involved. In fact, when I tried to play with them, things just got complicated and bickering happened but little problem solving occurred without my help. One week I decided to sit back and, amazingly, there were no disagreements and the kids played uninterrupted for hours. They did not want to stop playing to come to circle time or paint on some random shape with a stupid q-tip.

I also found that I was a lot less stressed out, had time to sit with a cup of coffee and I was highly amused listening in on the conversations of the kids while they played.

I felt really guilty for a long time that I wasn't doing these great activities that always stressed me out and cost me money for 30 seconds of the children's attention. I finally had to realize that I'm just not like those providers who run a preschool type program. I highly respect Crystal and love the idea of the program she runs. I think she knows more about children and teaching children than I will ever know and part of me wishes I could be like her and run the kind of program she runs. However, reality is, I'm just not. And, that's okay. I'm a different kind of provider and that's okay. It took me a long time to be okay with the type of provider I am and somedays I'm still not okay with it. Somedays I do want to be the 'sunshine and roses' type provider (as I call it) and try to do so. But, after a few days the kids are itching to just play and I'm stressed out and anxious.

Now, for the most part, the kids just play freely at my house. I make sure to have lots of toys out that adress various types of learning and occasionally I sit on the floor and the kids play around me. I do crafts when I feel like it or have an impromptu singing circle when the kids seem bored or need redirection. We don't get outside everyday but I do my best and try again the next day. When I start to feel like we aren't doing enough, I take it as a sign that we need to do more/better and plan an activity (just not six activities, lol).

Five years after I opened my home daycare I still love what I do. I'm happy with my imperfect program and my imperfect self. I have fantastic clients, great kids and I'm full. I can't ask for much more than that.
This is the exact same process I went through too! It took me longer than you to finally "get it" though...

Nice job!! Lianne
KBCsMommy 09:06 AM 11-04-2011
I started out exactly like Lianne too!!

I got all the preschool stuff ... I was going to teach alphabets, numbers, teach them how to read....and on and on. Then I got my first few toddlers.... and very quickly realized I did not like them .

But I realized that I was really great with infants and they responded to me really well. So Im glad I got that figured out.

We have a great schedule. Breakfast, nap, snack, play outside, clean up, lunch, nap, snack, play inside, maybe a walk, pickup!!!!!!!

The kids learn real quick what our schedule is and everyone is happy (when they are not screaming babies )!!!!!!!!!!

So in a nutshell...we are definately a play based daycare!!!
Ariana 09:22 AM 11-04-2011
I would say I'm a bit of everything! I have circle time once a day, we go outside 2x a day for walks to local parks etc. I also encorporate some form of art each day as well. The 'rest' of the time is free play. It is a structured program in that we follow a schedule. I am flexible to an extent but the kids generally know what comes next.

I will do more structured activities with older kids who aren't napping, so things like printing pages and math work etc. but it's not every day because my oldest right now is 3. When I had a 4-5 year old we did reading, math and writing almost every day.
daycare 09:33 AM 11-04-2011
I just changed my program again. I think I change it about every other year.

Now I am only teaching M_W_F and on Tue and Thur its all about nature, exploring outdoors, and inventing. (the kids have to make their own toys)

I guess I would have to say that I am a little of everything.

We do circle time
Class time'
Projects
free play
discovery centers
Lots of sensory bins and more

I think we all set out with the idea that preschool is fun to teach like they did when we were kids at centers, just to realize that most of the teaching don't really let the children be children and explore their minds so freely...
I too spent all that time and money just to change it over the years. However, I felt horrible about all the money invested so I still incorporate small amount of circle time teaching into it.
Lianne 09:55 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is the exact same process I went through too! It took me longer than you to finally "get it" though...

Nice job!! Lianne
I was embarrased to talk about my guilty feelings for a long time. It was the different daycare forums that allowed me to give myself permission to just be who I am and that I am a good provider with or without a preschool program. It's nice to feel comfortable in my daycare provider skin
Lianne 09:56 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Lianne...thank you, you brought tears to me eyes. Ya know, I have always highly respected you as well. I think you are a FABULOUS provider and a really cool person as well

Sorry for going off topic, OP.
We both rock!
Sugar Magnolia 10:20 AM 11-04-2011
Small center, not in my home, run by me and my husband. We are most like a large family daycare, but licensed as a center as we don't live here. We use a multi-age approach. All ages, 1-5, spend 75% of their day together. Twice a day (morning, afternoon) we split into two groups. Bigs do preschool activities, Littles do developmental activities. We have 3 rooms, a small room for smaller groups (6 max) a large room for the whole group (15) and a sunroom that is for creative play (kitchen, store, housekeeping, dolls, puppets, trains along the window sills). 7:30-12:30 we have a p/t staffer and we do small groups (1:5 ratio, UNHEARD of for large centers) and after nap we can do two groups (1:6 Littles and 1:9 Bigs). This is really a "hybrid" environment. Small group size and individualized attention you get in a home daycare, AND the curriculum and structure of a preschool center. Works so, So, SO well for us, our parents, our kids. I'm a big advocate of this approach. Of course, you can't do this approach if you are by yourself, you need a helper to separate into groups in separate rooms. You can pm me if you want to learn more or if you want to see my website or published article.
hoopinglady 10:40 AM 11-04-2011
Now I am only teaching M_W_F and on Tue and Thur its all about nature, exploring outdoors, and inventing. (the kids have to make their own toys

Could you give more details about your Tues/Thursday thing? It sounds right up my alley. Do you just put stuff out for them to invent with?
Country Kids 10:52 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
Now I am only teaching M_W_F and on Tue and Thur its all about nature, exploring outdoors, and inventing. (the kids have to make their own toys

Could you give more details about your Tues/Thursday thing? It sounds right up my alley. Do you just put stuff out for them to invent with?
Yes, please tell more of that. How do you do the nature, exploring outdoors. Do you take them somewhere to do that or just outside. What do you explore or are you just letting them play. What if they don't want to invent a toy?
erinalexmom 10:58 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by abigailrw5:
erinalexmom,
what is sing number rock? ((to count to 20)
Sorry we sing the song"the number rock" its a greg and steve song.They count to 20 in the song so the kids are learning to count to20
Im a terrible writer! Sorry about that
hoopinglady 11:09 AM 11-04-2011
I am super conflicted too.

I believe in play based. I do put a lot of thought into the environment and materials used.

I used lots of open ended stuff and very often recycled type stuff.

We have circle time most every day.

I have loose learning centers set up but they change all the time as I/we see fit including a workshop that is for sensory tubs, artistic creations, legos, etc.

I'd like to have more intentional planned stuff but it feels overwhelming and often forced.
kendallina 11:19 AM 11-04-2011
I run a preschool. It's only a 3-hour/day program, so obviously very different from someone who is doing all day care on top of that, but I did want to say that we don't do 'teaching' for the whole 3 hours. I believe that preschool needs to be a mixture of child-led activities (free play, outside time) and teacher-led activities (small group time/circle time/etc). Here's what my routine looks like if it helps at all:

9:00-9:20 Morning meeting

9:20-9:45 Small group

9:45-10:15 Outside (generally free play and/or a walk)

10:15- 10:45 Snack

10:45-11:30 Free play (in playroom)

11:30-12:00 Circle time/story time

Morning meeting is where we talk about what our topic of study is, we have discussion about anything else going on (like, we're doing a can food drive right now), we play a game or sing songs or make a chart about something or other.

Small group is generally the time that we're at the table and painting, making books, doing playdough, whatever...

Circle time/storytime--songs, books, fingerplays, dance, etc.

Every preschool classroom that I've worked in has a similar kind of set-up, where you don't 'teach' the whole time as that's not appropriate for 3- year olds, but rather there are times when they make choices and times when I make choices and guide the group.

Not sure if that helps or not, hope it does!
daycare 11:28 AM 11-04-2011
here is some of what we do on tues & thur

Yesterday example we went on a treasure hunt.

I planned a map, drew one out, did the whole presentation in the morning. I tied a bow around the rolled up paper and we opened it up during breakfast.

It was nothing amazing that I did, but the kids thought that it was the greatest thing ever....lol love that they are easily impressed. Gave the kids bandannas and we drew on an eye patch on our faces...lol Pirates arrrr

I took all of our lessons that we have been learning about fall and made up a ton of questions to go with the map.

LIke: This grows on trees...and dogs like to ______. so they can talk to us.

We then collected tree bark off of the trees at the park. We go to this park all of the time, so I knew the bark was peeling off the trees already.

So we found a huge list of items that all led us to the tall pine tree at the end. It was the big X that marked the spot. At the end we found a basket of paint supplies, paper, and some yummy snacks. (lots of painting stuff)

We then used all of the items we found in nature to paint with or to be painted on:

leaves
pine needles
moss
rocks
acorn
pine cone
tree bark
twigs
feather
small berries (not sure what they are actually) but we painted with them.

Now this was more of a nature outside day.

SOme of the other days outside tue & thur (again weather permitting)

are shadow painting
Really anything that is just too messy to do indoors
gardening
Field trips, we just went on a nature hike lead by a forest ranger... She brought out animal pelts and showed all the animals that live in our local parks. this was way fun.

Our invention days usually consist of the kids building things of their own.

make your own play dough
we built a house out of large pieces of cardboard. Even had a roof. We made windows, doors and painted everything. Even had a set of keys we made to open the front door.

I normally take out all of the toys (which is not much in my DC room) and they have to make them. We use all sorts of cardboard boxes. Shoe boxes.
We built an Igloo out of them and were Eskimos.
we make tents out of sheets

I guess just think of when you were a kid and did not have all of these silly electronic stuff like today...

Basically I supply them with items that forces them to use their minds and creativity to make something.

I wish I had my lap top, I would share our invention days with you.....I took lots of picks of our toys we made.

Right now, the kids are standing right behind me at white goo table.. they have been at it for almost an hour.

yoy take two parts constarch with one part water...waaa-llaaa Goo..
then we added food coloring into each different pan...
Now it is one big brown mess....lol
Heidi 11:28 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
I am play based.

This is me, too. THere is a general schedule of meals and naptime we go by each day, but sometimes times are adjusted. I try to introduce supervised activities for the children, but rarely "teach" them anything structured. I am also about the teachable moments. Today we made brownies (from a mix), and I just narrated what I was doing. I showed them the cup measures, and how 4 1/4 cup measures fit into one whole, or 2 of the 1/2 fit into a whole. I demonstrated with water at the sink.

We colored with pencils. Some fell on the floor. At clean-up, I said "hey, we started with 12 colored pencils, how many do we have now? (count them out aloud) We had 8, so we are missing 4. Can you help me find the other 4? Now do we have 12? (count again out loud). "yes, we have them all!"

My group isn't particularly creative. They need a lot of help playing, and I've noticed they do better with smaller spaces of free-play. Today I noticed that the 3 & 4 yo sibs were actually playing nicely together, using the duplos in creative ways. It felt like such a victory!

Other things I do:
-put the babies pants on my head when I'm changing a diaper and pretending to be a dog.
-sing wierd songs when people are being naughty (my favorite is "You can't always have what you want" by the Rolling Stones. but if you cry sometimes, you get, you get what you need, oh yeah"
-everyone has a color assigned to them. That is their cup color, and there are lots of ways to mess with the kids on that. THey LOVE catching me confuse the cups.
-finding Raffi tunes on Utube and having a dance-off. Or, some good old butt-wiggling disco or rap music (appropriate lyrics only).

I absolutely do housework when the kids are here, too. Sometimes they help, sometimes the older ones play while the younger ones are stuck in a safe place (clip on chair or baby zone) and I do it alone, or sometimes at nap time. 3 and 4 yo's are are great slave labor if you need socks matched up! Of course, the toddlers are usually throwing them on the floor, but that's ok, too!
kendallina 11:31 AM 11-04-2011
A little note on the posts that talked about just allowing children to play. I think this is extremely important---it's OKAY to just let them PLAY!! I have a couple of girls that I watch in the afternoons as well and during this time they just play, I don't do preschool stuff with them. We'll usually do an art activity while they're here, but that's it, the rest is free play. And I cannot express how INCREDIBLE it is to just watch them PLAY. I can't play with them like that. They aren't going to learn the same skills that they learn through play as they learn when I'm interacting with them. I have started really loving my afternoons with these kiddos and I don't feel any pressure to 'do things' with them. Generally, I'm doing laundry, cleaning up, prepping for the next day, etc. The parents know this and are fine with it.

Now, I'm like you in that I really like doing the preschool stuff. And it's definitely what my clients want. But, I don't think providers should feel like they have to do that part. Just being with a group of children, having some sense of routine, and being exposed to proper materials, the children are going to learn A LOT!
youretooloud 11:37 AM 11-04-2011
We do a very little bit of preschool, with a play based day.

I'm very free range. If the weather is good, they can go out or come in. We do a lot outside in the cold weather, but not in the hot weather.

I use a combination of "High reach" preschool curriculum, and my own stuff. I almost never give them a "craft". It's all creative free art. Once in a while, I'll print something for the kids to do to appease the oldest kids.
Danielle 12:15 PM 11-04-2011
Mine is more home environment style. I keep very few kids...as of now, I have my kids and depending on the day, only 1-2 daycare kids. Meals, snacks and rest time (my son doesn't nap) are scheduled but that's it. We do arts/crafts, story time, outside, etc but it's not scheduled. We kinda just play the day by ear. I've taken daycare kids to the store but rarely do that. I don't keep the TV on all day but I don't feel bad that cartoons are on and my kids are sitting on the couch in their PJs at drop offs. I love that the kids don't need me by their side all the time. It's pretty normal that they will all be playing in the livingroom while I'm folding laundry etc. It works for us but I think my numbers is one of the reasons why it works. Another reason is the way my house is. The front of my house is the livingroom and kitchen and that's mainly where daycare is. The only part of the back of the house that's used for daycare is my daughters room (baby nap area) and the bathroom...my house isn't huge so I'm within hearing at all times.
Tags:daycare - type
Reply Up