Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inclement Weather Closings-Paid or No?
Jo123ABC 05:10 PM 03-02-2018
Hi everyone!

There's a big winter storm coming our way so the school sent out a notice that they may be closed Monday if it hits us. I have in my policy that I follow the school's inclement weather closings. So if they close, I close. If they are opening 2 hours last, so am I. Do you all still charge when closed for dangerous weather conditions?
LittleExplorers 05:42 PM 03-02-2018
Depends on what your policy says. I have the same tuition rate amount all school year (have only teacher's kids.)
Mike 05:44 PM 03-02-2018
I think most here do, but it all depends on what is in your policy/handbook.
e.j. 09:14 AM 03-03-2018
If I decide to close, I don't charge for the day. If parents decide to keep their children home, I do charge. I almost never close because of the weather, though. We get snowstorms that will sometimes keep families at home but other than that, we don't generally have weather that is severe enough for me to make the decision to close the day care. I'm at home so my own commute is an easy one. I usually remain open because some parents have to work regardless of the weather and I assume the other parents who don't have to work are responsible enough to make the decision on whether or not to bring their kids to day care.
BrynleeJean 03:48 PM 03-03-2018
YUP i do here. i know some don't though but i do because majority of places around me charge for those days and also go by the ISD in town.

I would check to see what local providers do around you, center or otherwise and go with the majority so if the parents question you at interview you can back it up and say that, HEY its a common policy in our area

Plus, I'm a business. If i gave the parents every sick day, weather day, holiday, not paid, i wouldn't be a business, i wouldn't be making money, id be stressing myself out working 10.5 hours a day for more of a hobby that anything. thats just how i see it.
HappyEverAfter 02:03 PM 03-04-2018
I don’t close for weather so I charge my regular rates regardless of if parents bring their kid stuff or not. But if for some reason I did decide to close I would not charge.
Jo123ABC 12:07 PM 03-06-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
YUP i do here. i know some don't though but i do because majority of places around me charge for those days and also go by the ISD in town.

I would check to see what local providers do around you, center or otherwise and go with the majority so if the parents question you at interview you can back it up and say that, HEY its a common policy in our area

Plus, I'm a business. If i gave the parents every sick day, weather day, holiday, not paid, i wouldn't be a business, i wouldn't be making money, id be stressing myself out working 10.5 hours a day for more of a hobby that anything. thats just how i see it.
I agree! I didn't end up feeling the need to close as we didn't get nearly the amount of snow that was originally predicted. I decided though for this year I would just use a vacation day. I have plenty built in to my policy but never take time off unless my kids are sick or have Dr. Apts. I take advantage of my paid holidays for time off instead to limit parents getting irritated with me for taking any time off. I take all state holidays to match my husband's days off
LittleScholars 09:41 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If I decide to close, I don't charge for the day. If parents decide to keep their children home, I do charge. I almost never close because of the weather, though. We get snowstorms that will sometimes keep families at home but other than that, we don't generally have weather that is severe enough for me to make the decision to close the day care. I'm at home so my own commute is an easy one. I usually remain open because some parents have to work regardless of the weather and I assume the other parents who don't have to work are responsible enough to make the decision on whether or not to bring their kids to day care.
Same. I called a snow day the day before Christmas break and didn't charge. Weather was predicted to be bad and all parents were off anyway. I didn't charge and enjoyed my extra long break.

Other than that, all pay. I still have to get up, wait for them to decide what they are doing, and can't schedule anything else that day. That certainly doesn't qualify as a personal day in my book, so I charge without guilt. I also don't refund for partial snow days. I do refund if I have to close early due to personal reasons, but I don't see the weather as a personal matter (even if I encourage early pick ups).
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 03-08-2018
My families pay the same rate 52 weeks a year.
Rates are based on enrollment and not on attendance or time used.
Where I live weather plays a role in the day to day operation of everyone's lives in one way or another and if the weather creates a situation in which I am unable to provide services, I'd close and still charge.

I don't create the weather. It is what it is.

If parents don't agree with my policy, they should seek out a program that better suits their needs/wants.

It's whatever works for you and your program.
No right or wrong.
It's that simple.
Tags:closed from bad weather, inclement weather
Reply Up