Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anybody Feel Nervous When A New Kiddo Starts?
Unregistered 08:04 AM 03-12-2018
Today is a first day for me and a 3 month old. I always feel nervous integrating a new child. Don't really know what to expect. How will the other kids react. So far so good today but my nerves kept me up last night. Do any of you ever feel nervous starting out?
Baby Beluga 08:19 AM 03-12-2018
Yes, every time it happens. It's an adjustment for everyone. The good new is, we all eventually adjust!
Josiegirl 09:37 AM 03-12-2018
I certainly feel nervous on a child's first day too. Until everybody shows their true colors together and I know what I can expect, how the child will react, etc., I'm on edge. Once the routine settles down again, I can breathe and let go.
Good luck with your new little one!!
daycarediva 10:21 AM 03-12-2018
Goodness yes.
LittleExplorers 10:51 AM 03-12-2018
Yes. I have one new one here today and another with a trial on Thursday. I have never needed a trial period but added it just for the kid on Thursday. Today's new kiddo is doing great even with daylight savings time change and waking up extra early.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 03-12-2018
I don't get nervous necessarily but I do cringe at the upset to our normal day when a new child begins.

Anything that interrupts that flow is stressful to me and I imagine to the other kids as well but thankfully trial periods help....

It's pretty easy to tell if a new child will transition well or not within the first couple days.
HappyEverAfter 11:34 AM 03-12-2018
I always get anxious about how my fine tuned routine will get disrupted and have to be adjusted. I try to remind myself that the adjustment of my routine will only take about a week and then I’ll have everything fine tuned again. I don’t get nervous about the actual child though. I’m just one of those people who thrives on routine and consistency so to me that’s the part that makes my stomach do flips.
Play Care 12:27 PM 03-12-2018
Yes, a bit.

I just termed a new start after a couple of weeks. I'm already loving be back to our regularly scheduled crew
Homebody 12:31 PM 03-12-2018
I usually get a little anxious. Last week I started a 6 week old, and I was nervous the night before, but more because of the mom than the baby. Its her first child and I knew how hard it was going to be for her. She shed some tears at drop off, and almost had me crying. Its been going good so far with the little one. I think the older kids that can walk and talk stress me out more when first transitioning because sometimes they can be more difficult, especially if they are at the preschool age. Infants and toddlers don't worry me as much, except for naps (are they going to nap well or cry the whole time?).
Unregistered 02:56 PM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't get nervous necessarily but I do cringe at the upset to our normal day when a new child begins.

Anything that interrupts that flow is stressful to me and I imagine to the other kids as well but thankfully trial periods help....

It's pretty easy to tell if a new child will transition well or not within the first couple days.
This is exactly how it is with me. I don't want anything to upset my well oiled machine here. Today was a good first day after all.
Josiegirl 02:41 AM 03-13-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is exactly how it is with me. I don't want anything to upset my well oiled machine here. Today was a good first day after all.
Glad it went well!
I give the parents a welcoming letter in my enrollment pack. It states that the dynamics of a group change when a new child starts. That's part of the reason for a 2 week trial period to see if it all works out and everyone adapts(including me!)..
DaveA 03:30 AM 03-13-2018
Yeah- really the whole first week is stressful for me. A part of me wonders when it will go wrong with either DCKs or DCPs. Glad it went well.
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 03-13-2018
Yay! It's always nice when they transition well!
hwichlaz 08:07 AM 03-13-2018
Not nervous at all, but definitely excited.
Unregistered 09:51 AM 03-13-2018
This is day 2 with new baby. She is even more sweeter today!
LittleExplorers 11:31 AM 03-13-2018
I don't want anything to upset my well oiled machine here.

This exactly! I have only been open since August and we are finally in a great groove with part-timers adjusted well to our routine which took some time.
Mom2Two 11:55 AM 03-15-2018
Most of my first days have been very stressful. It's gotten better over the years--perhaps because I'm better at interviewing, my policies/application/contract are in better shape, and I'm better at communicating verbally with parents.
Tags:nervous, nervous over new child, new child
Reply Up