Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Alarming Local Day Care Provider Behavior
dog_walker 10:45 AM 09-14-2012
Hi Everyone! I am a newbie here, and had no other reason to register (my boys are 19 and 11 now), but just to ask your opinion.

I walk my dog on daily basis, and the route is passing our local tiny day care. I live in a very small town here.
There is one particular woman, who is taking kids out at the time I walk the dog. She is young, in her early 20s, has a pretty heavy frame (well it might nothing to do with what I am discribing, but still), and a very loud voice. She usually watches after no more than 4 kids. Today they were 3 kids, age ...very little guys, walking, still in diapers, as girlg tights showed, I would say somewhat 2 years olds, plus minus 3 month.
The woman usually sits in the plastic chair watching the kids, which is nothing wrong with that.
However if a kid is doing something she thinks she not suppose to do, she turns on her vocal cords, giving commands to a child in such a manner that I think people who volunteer in human societies do treat puppies in more warm/loving manner.
Last time she was talking to a little boy screamming her klungs, from her chair, she wanted the boy to get off the porch to the grass and drop what ever he was holding he. Mind you, I was one block away already, but I still heard he yelling. I thought if I would be a mom, I would never ever give my kids for a care like this.
Today, the same scenario, she is sitting in the chair, and *talking* to a littly girl with the voice of an army general, who holds some dirt in her hands. She yells repeatedly: drop it! drip it! drop it! Drop it!
Little girl who is younger than 2, continiues to crumble the dirt. The the woman gets up from the chair, walks to the girl, GRABBS her by tiny arm, rudely anf fast walks her on the grass, then let girl's arm go. The sudden stop makes the girl to fall the ground. The woman back in her chair. The girl makes an attempt to get up, the wonam points her finger to the ground, and literally barks: sit! grass! sit! The girl remains sitting.
Now, we are having cold nights lately, and chilly days, here in Wisconsin. We had rain all day yesterday, and it rained at night. The ground is not warm and it is wet. The woman herself was sitting on the sun today, toasting herself, still wearing a jacket. Really? Does this make sense to anyone?
It really hurts my feelings to watch this young un-loving individual to treat babies like this. By ignoring this, I feel like I do something wrong. That I should go ahead and make some action, but I am not sure what exactly I can do or should do, if anything.
I really do not want to hurt this woman. Everyone is experiencing the nowdays economy impacts, and who ever has a job feels blessed and lucky. I understand it.
But.....This person has absolutely no love for the children. Her behavior screams she is irritated and her heart is not there.
I spoke to her today for the first time, but she had no clue what I was talking about. She said that of course she liked working there, of course she loved children.
Am I overjudging the situation?
I was a stay at home mom, and my kids did not have to go to the day care. I have no experience in this. Please give me your 2 cent, everyone. Thank you.
Heidi 10:55 AM 09-14-2012
If you are in WI (I am), then if she is caring for more than 3 children under the age of 7, she needs to be state licensed.

If she cares for LESS than 3, she can be completely unregulated or she can be certified.

You can find out here:

http://childcarefinder.wisconsin.gov...Providers=true

If she is a regulated provider, then the interactions that you have described are NOT appropriate. You can read the regs on the DCF website if you like, but basically, she cannot use any discipline that is degrading or demeaning to the children, and should never be handling them roughly. Now, that said, people DO get frustrated occasionally, and sometime appearances can be diseaving, but you've seen this behavior several times, which makes it seem like it's not uncommon for her.

The DCF website will direct you on where to make a complaint. You can do so anonymously.

Edited to add: Even if she is not regulated, her interactions don't sound appropriate. There just wouldn't be REGS against it. Yelling at children or being "harsh" isn't really against the law, although it's certainly not nice!
Sugar Magnolia 11:14 AM 09-14-2012
My first thought: if she is acting that way out in public, in plain view of everyone, how is she treating them when they are inside, out of view and earshot? Scary. I might consider standing there with a video camera, in plain view if her, and tape away. Even if the tape shows nothing more than yelling, it might prompt her to shape up and act right, knowing she is being watched and recorded. Of course if you captured the arm yanking type stuff on camera, then it becomes evidence.
Willow 11:28 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
My first thought: if she is acting that way out in public, in plain view of everyone, how is she treating them when they are inside, out of view and earshot?
That's where my brain went, sadly enough

I too would try to video, but surreptitiously, and then bring everything to the county daycare licensors attention.

(Just to clarify dog_walker - her behavior has nothing to do with her age or her weight, as you said it just sounds as if she has no love for the children and if that's the case she has no place working with them. At this point you can't be worried about hurting her, instead your focus should be on doing what you can to make sure the children stay safe by notifying the proper authorities)
e.j. 11:37 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
My first thought: if she is acting that way out in public, in plain view of everyone, how is she treating them when they are inside, out of view and earshot? Scary.
I was thinking this same thing. Since Heidi is in Wisconsin and provided a link, I'd do what she suggested. I'd contact the dept. that oversees child care providers in that state and report what you've seen/heard.
dog_walker 02:19 PM 09-14-2012
Thank you for your inputs everyone.
Thank you for the link, Heidi.

Just to clarify, it is not her own Day care. It is a licensed facility. She is an emploee there.
Do you think it makes sense to talk to the owner first, and see what would be her reaction?
sharlan 02:22 PM 09-14-2012
I am sure the director is aware of her behavior - others have had to have seen or heard her. I would call the local DSS office and let them handle it.
Heidi 03:50 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by dog_walker:
Thank you for your inputs everyone.
Thank you for the link, Heidi.

Just to clarify, it is not her own Day care. It is a licensed facility. She is an emploee there.
Do you think it makes sense to talk to the owner first, and see what would be her reaction?
If the director isn't aware of it, then she (or he) is not doing her job.

Call licensing!

BTW: You can look them up on that Youngstar sight and see what violations they've already had. It may be eye-opening for you to see if this has been addressed already, or if there are other issues. Either way, please do not remain silent if you feel there is maltreatment.
Reply Up