Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Thing For Diaper Rash?
Josiegirl 04:37 PM 01-10-2014
My poor sweet little 20 month old dcg She's much better today but yesterday, she was miserable because of her diaper rash. I'm always checking and/or changing diapers, at least every hour(she poops usually 3x a day). I changed all the little ones yesterday before going outside. By the time we came in(which wasn't all that long except for the getting ready) and it had probably been about an hour tops, I went to change her; she had a poopy diaper and her bum was all red and sore. She has extremely sensitive skin.
I keep petroleum jelly and A&D diaper rash cream here, nothing helped yesterday. Today it's much better.
But is there something I can get to have on hand for when it flares up again? I'm thinking I'll look for Bag Balm this weekend but that's a bit expensive.
turtletchr 04:42 PM 01-10-2014
Some of our kids also have sensitive skin and get frequent rashes. I've had success with Butt Paste and Powder/Cornstarch mix for sensitive skin.
kelsey's kids 05:02 PM 01-10-2014
The best and quickest remedy I have evrr used and now o ly use is a past made with cornstarch and olive oil. Make it the consistency of regular diaper and it will clear most anything in a day it is amazing
Danielle 05:05 PM 01-10-2014
Coconut oil tends to work really well. And it safe for cloth diapers.
e.j. 05:23 PM 01-10-2014
I like Burt's Bees Diaper Rash Ointment. It's fairly thick so it protects the skin well. It works better than most diaper rash ointments I've tried.
BrooklynM 05:37 PM 01-10-2014
Also make sure it's not a yeast infection. They can present as a diaper rash, but nothing but the prescription paste helps. My daughter had them and my DCB gets them as well.

If it is a diaper rash I really like Welda Baby Calendula Diaper Care cream. It's the Holy Grail of diaper rash creams. It's expensive but worth it. Look up reviews online. I wasted my money trying every diaper creme on the market. This one is the best!
Brooksie 05:49 PM 01-10-2014
No cream. Go diaperless. Seriously. Let her air out and dry up. That's the only thing that worked for DD when she used to have allergy diapers so bad that the acidity in her poo would literally burn the skin of her tushy and suz. Any time I see a bad rash that's what I recommend.
SquirrellyMama 05:52 PM 01-10-2014
I use Crisco for diaper rash. It has always worked really well.

Kelly
Cradle2crayons 06:23 PM 01-10-2014
With my tube fed dcg we do preventative with EVERY diaper change. Not only is she sensitive but tube fed babies poop more also and it's more loose.

We use desistin with EVERY diaper change. Haven't had a problem in many many months now.
Leigh 06:56 PM 01-10-2014
My favorite is the Up & Up brand from Target-the 40% zinc oxide in the orange and white tube-it's the ONLY one that worked for my son's rashes when he was a newborn. I would use Aquaphor as a preventative and the cream as a treatment. For yeast, terbinafine was the best (better than Nystatin). We had a hard time with rashes while he was in boots & bar 23/7 (he couldn't spread his legs, and there was just too much moisture in there). After he went down to wearing his braces only at night, we switched to Desitin, because it's cheaper in the big jar, and I provide it for my daycare kids. I tried literally every cream I could find (some of them VERY expensive), and this cheap one from Target was my favorite.
Scout 07:50 PM 01-10-2014
I use tea bags(strings ripped out of course) and wet them and throw them in the diapers for really bad rashes. For my ds's it dries it up over night to the point where it is almost gone. I have also given my ds's tea baths around that age since they like to play in the water.
mountainside13 08:12 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
My poor sweet little 20 month old dcg She's much better today but yesterday, she was miserable because of her diaper rash. I'm always checking and/or changing diapers, at least every hour(she poops usually 3x a day). I changed all the little ones yesterday before going outside. By the time we came in(which wasn't all that long except for the getting ready) and it had probably been about an hour tops, I went to change her; she had a poopy diaper and her bum was all red and sore. She has extremely sensitive skin.
I keep petroleum jelly and A&D diaper rash cream here, nothing helped yesterday. Today it's much better.
But is there something I can get to have on hand for when it flares up again? I'm thinking I'll look for Bag Balm this weekend but that's a bit expensive.
IMO petroleum jelly and A&D don't work. I haven't had any luck with them with any child. But that is just me. My favorite is Butt Paste! I have only been using it for a few months but I love it and wish I would have used it sooner! I have been told this also works for yeast infections but I have nothing to back that up.
Sunshine74 10:33 PM 01-10-2014
I know some DC parents have had luck with milk of magnesia. It seems to work pretty quickly too.
Laurel 05:25 AM 01-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
With my tube fed dcg we do preventative with EVERY diaper change. Not only is she sensitive but tube fed babies poop more also and it's more loose.

We use desistin with EVERY diaper change. Haven't had a problem in many many months now.

This is exactly what we do with my grandson who has very fair skin. I suggested it to a mom of a new daycare child I just got this week. She prefers A & D so I am using it on every diaper change. We'll see how that works.

Laurel
Maria2013 11:54 AM 01-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

I use the store brand equivalent with every poopy diaper, the only time I've had a difficult rash was on a child on antibiotics so I told mom to get a prescription to cure the rash...other than that one time, I've never had kids developing a rash
LaLa1923 07:00 PM 01-11-2014
Air dry if you can....

I also use Triple paste. It HAS cornstarch in it!!
racemom 07:15 PM 01-11-2014
We use browned flour. Works amazing on diaper rash. We sprinkle on and clears it up fast. Can also be used on cloth diapers which is a huge plus!
Cradle2crayons 07:50 PM 01-11-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:

This is exactly what we do with my grandson who has very fair skin. I suggested it to a mom of a new daycare child I just got this week. She prefers A & D so I am using it on every diaper change. We'll see how that works.

Laurel
I always say prevention is better, especially if a child has a history of it being a problem.
Reply Up