Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School age child using bathroom excessively
Unregistered 01:16 PM 08-06-2014
I have a 6 1/2 year old DCB who uses the bathroom anywhere from every 30 minutes to every hour and a half. He is at my house around 9 hours a day and goes to the bathroom 7-12 times a day. DCM says he does not use the bathroom this much at home. I asked about if his teacher at school ever mentioned frequent bathroom use. She said no. I can't guarantee he is peeing or pooping each time as when they get to this age I don't pay attention to what they are doing each time they go into the bathroom. I just recently started keeping track on paper the number of times he is going each day because I noticed he goes in there often. DCM doesn't want me to ask why he is going so often because she is afraid if I question him, he will stop going when he needs to go. I guess during school once he pooped in his pants and didn't say anything cause he thought he would get in trouble. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a problem and if maybe he should be seen by a doctor. But if he is only going that often here, it makes me wonder why.
Blackcat31 02:04 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 6 1/2 year old DCB who uses the bathroom anywhere from every 30 minutes to every hour and a half. He is at my house around 9 hours a day and goes to the bathroom 7-12 times a day. DCM says he does not use the bathroom this much at home. I asked about if his teacher at school ever mentioned frequent bathroom use. She said no. I can't guarantee he is peeing or pooping each time as when they get to this age I don't pay attention to what they are doing each time they go into the bathroom. I just recently started keeping track on paper the number of times he is going each day because I noticed he goes in there often. DCM doesn't want me to ask why he is going so often because she is afraid if I question him, he will stop going when he needs to go. I guess during school once he pooped in his pants and didn't say anything cause he thought he would get in trouble. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a problem and if maybe he should be seen by a doctor. But if he is only going that often here, it makes me wonder why.
That is silly.....ask him why he is using the bathroom so much.

You have a right to be concerned and he may very well have an issue he needs assistance with.

If I were you, I would start listening at the door and see if he actually does urinate when in there. If he is...then he needs to be seen by a doctor as frequent urination could be a sign of diabetes or something else.

If he isn't actually using the toilet then you have a right to ask him what he is doing. I would even think you have an obligation as his care giver to know and/or ask him.

If DCM seriously does not want you to ask him, then she needs to ask.

He is PLENTY old enough to still continue using the bathroom when needed and won't simply stop just because someone asked him a question. That is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard.

Who ever asks him just needs to let the boy know that others are concerned he may need medical attention or assistance.
KiddieCahoots 02:20 PM 08-06-2014
My licensing requires me to have the bathroom door open at all times. And my boys are NOT shy about that. If they could be naked all day they would.
I have the bathroom door propped open with a door horn. Maybe try this, that way he'll know you can easily check in on him when he's in there.
If it isn't a medical problem or anything like that, I'm kinda wondering what he's up to in there, ya know?
daycare 02:50 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
this is 100% my son and he is almost 7.

we were worried that he might be diabetic so we took him in to get tested as that is a sign...nope clear

then I started to watch and I noticed that he is not emptying his bladder all the way. He does not want to stop what he is doing runs to the bathroom relieves the pain and then goes back to play until the pain comes back in 15-30 min and he has to go again...

for whatever reason he does not do it at school, but he does it here at home during daycare all the time and I think it's because he just doesnt want to stop what he is doing
Unregistered 03:15 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
this is 100% my son and he is almost 7.

we were worried that he might be diabetic so we took him in to get tested as that is a sign...nope clear

then I started to watch and I noticed that he is not emptying his bladder all the way. He does not want to stop what he is doing runs to the bathroom relieves the pain and then goes back to play until the pain comes back in 15-30 min and he has to go again...

for whatever reason he does not do it at school, but he does it here at home during daycare all the time and I think it's because he just doesnt want to stop what he is doing
This kind of sounds like him. Each time he is not in there more than about 15 seconds and then back out again and he flushes the toilet every time. I have listened on occasion though and noticed that he is not always peeing. I think I will start asking him, just to see what he says.
Reply Up