Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newbie Interview Question...
yodaone 11:30 AM 01-29-2016
I'm just starting out and had a couple of interviews this week. I'm super excited!!! I've interviewed two families and they were both completely different. One was very easy going, liked the program and signed up on the spot. The other interview was completely different and I have a few questions...
She asked me a thousand questions, which I can appreciate. However, some of her concerns were a little alarming for me.
1. I have a "sunken" living room, so basically to get from the kitchen into the living room it's about an 8 inch step. I don't have a gate up and I plan to teach the kids (just as I have done for my own 4 children) to turn around and step down. Well this parent was very concerned about that and thought there should be a gate up. What are your thoughts? Should I have a gate up? My concern with a gate would be that a child would try to climb the gate and then it's a really long fall. (on a side note, her 18 month old son, literally learned how to turn around and go down the step without any trouble within the hour they were at my home)
2. I have a dog and 2 cats. She was asking me if the dog would bite her child??? I thought that was a strange question... why would I have a dog that could possible bite her child. For my cats, she asked if they were declawed? Nope, they are not. They are honestly the most docile cats I've ever owned. Never scratch, hiss, or even bite at my own kids. And honestly they sleep all day and we hardly ever see them.
3. Then at the end of the interview she started to cry... she liked our home and program so much, that she's just really hopeful that we have a spot for her son.
So... are these normal concerns/questions??? Btw, this is not her first child, she has another child that is much older. I'm almost a little scared to accept her, but then again, I'm new to this and maybe these questions/concerns/reactions are completely normal. TIA for any help!
NoMoreJuice! 11:39 AM 01-29-2016
Experience has taught me two things:

1. You don't have to accept every family that wants a spot in your daycare.

2. Your gut instinct is almost ALWAYS correct.

If you think this family will cause you long term problems and push boundaries, you're probably right. Also, are you licensed? If licensing has approved your home for daycare without the use of a gate in that area, I would state that fact and let it be. She sounds like the type of parent that will continually question you and try to make herself your boss. Just my jaded cynical opinion.

There's no harm in giving them a try though, and firmly address each concern as it will inevitably pop up. Make her understand that you are in charge of your daycare and it's practices. Good luck!
Ariana 12:46 PM 01-29-2016
Do you have a transition period written into your contract? I have a 6 weeks transition period and at anytime within that 6 week period I can terminate without notice. It is a trial period to weed out problem people/kids. I highly recommend it.

I have also had parents concerned with the safety in my home. I have never ever child proofed my home and have never needed to. All kids learn how to walk/crawl up and down stairs here and what they can and cannot touch etc. I also closely supervise these kids! Anyone who doesn't like it can go elsewhere. I am not a fan of treating kids like imbeciles . Of course some licensing does require it but I am legally unlicensed thankfully.
yodaone 01:41 PM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Experience has taught me two things:

1. You don't have to accept every family that wants a spot in your daycare.

2. Your gut instinct is almost ALWAYS correct.

If you think this family will cause you long term problems and push boundaries, you're probably right. Also, are you licensed? If licensing has approved your home for daycare without the use of a gate in that area, I would state that fact and let it be. She sounds like the type of parent that will continually question you and try to make herself your boss. Just my jaded cynical opinion.

There's no harm in giving them a try though, and firmly address each concern as it will inevitably pop up. Make her understand that you are in charge of your daycare and it's practices. Good luck!
Thanks for your reply. For licensing, I'm waiting on the final inspection of my home. The state has 90 days to come and inspect our home, once we start watching children. I didn't even think about licensing making me put up a gate. I sure hope they don't, because it would really stink to have a gate across that whole area. But thanks for the insight, so I can brainstorm.
yodaone 01:44 PM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Do you have a transition period written into your contract? I have a 6 weeks transition period and at anytime within that 6 week period I can terminate without notice. It is a trial period to weed out problem people/kids. I highly recommend it.

I have also had parents concerned with the safety in my home. I have never ever child proofed my home and have never needed to. All kids learn how to walk/crawl up and down stairs here and what they can and cannot touch etc. I also closely supervise these kids! Anyone who doesn't like it can go elsewhere. I am not a fan of treating kids like imbeciles . Of course some licensing does require it but I am legally unlicensed thankfully.
Thank you for your reply! I do have a 2-week trial period in my contract. I'm liking your 6 week trial period though! This family would be part time and I was thinking 2 weeks just isn't enough time. I mean do you ever find that some parents are on their best behavior at the beginning and then slowly start to change?
Ariana 03:41 PM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by heatherann:
Thank you for your reply! I do have a 2-week trial period in my contract. I'm liking your 6 week trial period though! This family would be part time and I was thinking 2 weeks just isn't enough time. I mean do you ever find that some parents are on their best behavior at the beginning and then slowly start to change?
I have only experienced the opposite. Some parents are very new to daycare so 6 weeks is the time I allow them to get with the program! Lol. 2 weeks is not long enough in my opinion. If I am finding that they just aren't getting it at the 6 week mark then I will term. I have had to do it twice and have only ever turned down one family during the interview. In my experience parents get better as they get to know your rules and that you aren't going to take any of their BS.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:45 PM 01-29-2016
Originally Posted by heatherann:
I mean do you ever find that some parents are on their best behavior at the beginning and then slowly start to change?
They sure do! I call it the "honeymoon phase" just like in marriage or any relationship. Make sure you enforce your policies and don't let them by with anything from the very beginning. Once a family has been with me for a little while and if I see they are a good family and aren't trying to get around having to follow my policies, then I can start to ease up a little and make an exception once in awhile if I think the situation warrants it and I don't mind making the exception. But it's a slippery slope when you begin that, so make sure it's clear to them that it is a one time exception if you choose to make any exceptions. I have a family who has been with me for years (Dcm even knows my entire family, including my niece and nephews, by name) and I make a lot of exceptions for them because I know what kind of a family they are and that they would never try to take advantage of me doing them a favor. But families like that are extremely rare
Josiegirl 02:42 AM 01-30-2016
Honeymoon phase....oh definitely. It happens. I have the 2 week trial but am beginning to think 6 weeks makes much more sense!
As for your sunken living room...my playroom is right off the kitchen and there is 1 step down into it. I don't believe it's 8" but the state has never ever said a thing about gating it off. Kids learn fast how to navigate a step. Good luck with your inspection and enrollment!!
valyrian 05:35 AM 02-02-2016
I think her questions are normal. Everyone has a different history and there might be some valid reason for her concern for safety around stairs or pets. It also sounds like she's having a hard time putting her son in DC at all, this might be her way of trying to retain some control.

We have a similar step-down into our breakfast room and we didn't gate it. We always taught our kids to go down backwards, but TBH, if we had another caregiver that we didn't know (yet), I'd be wary at first too. It only takes one time!

It sounds like you did a really good job trying to put her concerns to rest (that's all you can do). I think "You don't have to accept every family that wants a spot in your daycare" is terrific advice.
mamamanda 09:53 AM 02-02-2016
Is the area by the step carpeted? We have a step down into our family room as well and it has never crossed my mind with any of our kids or the dcks to gate it off. It is carpeted with nice plush carpet and my ds did trip over it one time, but he just fell forward onto the carpet, laughed, and stood up and tried again. They learn very quickly. Is there anything nearby he could fall into? A table, lamp, etc? If not, I wouldn't even be concerned about it.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:31 AM 02-02-2016
Welcome to dealing with parents! A gate might be a good option and I'm a little surprised the issue didn't come up with licensing. Anyway, it might be best just to avoid a potential falling accident.

About the dog and cats; I know others handle this differently, but I personally keep my dog away from the children. Years ago I didn't and one child got the dog overexcited and although he didn't bite her she jumped with him and caught one of his teeth in her arm. The parents were very understanding and did not make a big issue, thank goodness. I made the decision just to eliminate the dog from the equation. Now the dog only comes up if there could be a potential allergy issue.

One more thing about the 20 questions parents have; this is sort of usual and customary. Parents want to feel like they are making an informed decision when it comes to child care. I once had a parent that hardly asked any questions at the interview and even wanted to sign up on the spot. Then she called me back the next day with at least 20 questions.

I have found it best to find a way to answer most of their questions before they can even ask. As you interview, bring up your policies, philosophy, rules, meals and anything else you notice that parents ask about all the time. Then leave a few questions for them to ask you, maybe even ask them if they have any other questions for you. You look professional and on top of your game.
yodaone 02:05 PM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
Welcome to dealing with parents! A gate might be a good option and I'm a little surprised the issue didn't come up with licensing. Anyway, it might be best just to avoid a potential falling accident.

About the dog and cats; I know others handle this differently, but I personally keep my dog away from the children. Years ago I didn't and one child got the dog overexcited and although he didn't bite her she jumped with him and caught one of his teeth in her arm. The parents were very understanding and did not make a big issue, thank goodness. I made the decision just to eliminate the dog from the equation. Now the dog only comes up if there could be a potential allergy issue.

One more thing about the 20 questions parents have; this is sort of usual and customary. Parents want to feel like they are making an informed decision when it comes to child care. I once had a parent that hardly asked any questions at the interview and even wanted to sign up on the spot. Then she called me back the next day with at least 20 questions.

I have found it best to find a way to answer most of their questions before they can even ask. As you interview, bring up your policies, philosophy, rules, meals and anything else you notice that parents ask about all the time. Then leave a few questions for them to ask you, maybe even ask them if they have any other questions for you. You look professional and on top of your game.
I actually plan to keep the animals separate as well. During the interview, the mom could hear my dog barking from the other room and that prompted her to ask.
It was just a little strange to me because when I was looking for daycare for my little ones, years ago, I just assumed that if a daycare provider had a dog, that it wouldn't bite my kiddos. Looking back... maybe I shouldn't have assumed, LOL.
For the interview itself... it was challenging, because the mom basically walked into my house and started drilling me with questions. I know that in the moment I was able to answer all of her questions, but I wanted to be the one in control of the interview (just some advice I gathered from this lovely forum). So I have my handbook all nice and neat in a binder with sheet protectors and I wanted to sit down and go over each piece. Well by the time I sat her down to look over it, it was just awkward.
yodaone 02:15 PM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Is the area by the step carpeted? We have a step down into our family room as well and it has never crossed my mind with any of our kids or the dcks to gate it off. It is carpeted with nice plush carpet and my ds did trip over it one time, but he just fell forward onto the carpet, laughed, and stood up and tried again. They learn very quickly. Is there anything nearby he could fall into? A table, lamp, etc? If not, I wouldn't even be concerned about it.
Actually it's not carpeted. We have all wood floors throughout the house. It is clear of any obstacle though. It's a wide open space with no tables or other furniture in the way. I too believe that kids learn early and never really thought it would be a concern. I mean even for my own children, I teach them to go backwards and they have all done just fine. I'm waiting for my inspection from the state. Once we turn in our paperwork the state has so many days to come over and complete the inspection, so I'm waiting for that. In the meantime I've been conducting interviews.
knoxmomof2 08:36 PM 02-11-2016
I read your post and the responses as well and I say:
1) The most demanding clients are the least appreciative/ most difficult. The rudest/ most intrusive interview I had (she asked to see my children's rooms... And was an hour late!) showed up early for drop-off and late for pickup on the first day! She lasted 1 day because she got fired from her job.
2) The parent I had who questioned my wood floors is my "special snowflake" Mom x10!

Good luck ☺️
Reply Up