Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should He Be Crawling Yet??
MamaBear 09:23 AM 09-19-2011
I have a 9 month old boy in my daycare. He's been with me since he was about 3 months old. He just started sitting up at @ 8 months old. I try every day giving him tummy time to try to get him to want to crawl, but he absolutely hates it. So now hes 9 months old and does not crawl at all. He doesn't even try to scoot. He just sits or lays down.

I guess I'm just comparing him to the other kids I've cared for and my own sons who were all walking by 10 months. My youngest son was walking at 8 1/2 months which was insane! So maybe I'm just comparing him to others.

But doesn't that seem a little delayed? He seems more like a 5 month old to me than a 9 month old. I must add that I think his parents hold him A LOT at home and they put him to bed asap when he gets home. Not much activity when hes not here. He's also a very fussy boy.
KEG123 09:25 AM 09-19-2011
I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Many babies go straight to walking, no crawling. That being said, I'd give him as much tummy time as possible though.
MamaBear 09:27 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
I wouldn't worry about it honestly. Many babies go straight to walking, no crawling. That being said, I'd give him as much tummy time as possible though.
Thanks. I wish he enjoyed tummy time a little more. He is screaming after 30 seconds of being on his stomach.
harperluu 09:38 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I have a 9 month old boy in my daycare. He's been with me since he was about 3 months old. He just started sitting up at @ 8 months old. I try every day giving him tummy time to try to get him to want to crawl, but he absolutely hates it. So now hes 9 months old and does not crawl at all. He doesn't even try to scoot. He just sits or lays down.

I guess I'm just comparing him to the other kids I've cared for and my own sons who were all walking by 10 months. My youngest son was walking at 8 1/2 months which was insane! So maybe I'm just comparing him to others.

But doesn't that seem a little delayed? He seems more like a 5 month old to me than a 9 month old. I must add that I think his parents hold him A LOT at home and they put him to bed asap when he gets home. Not much activity when hes not here. He's also a very fussy boy.
My oldest daughter (now 18) didn't crawl until she was close to 11 months and didn't walk until she was close to 18 months. She was just super content just sitting on her butt and watching. Last year she played on her high school varsity soccer team, so the minor delay didn't turn out to be a delay at all. Kids are just so different.

I'd say keep giving him opportunities to use his gross motor skills, and if his other development is progressing forward there's no cause for concern.
Crazy8 10:23 AM 09-19-2011
way too early to be concerned with it. I think the "normal" age to start crawling is 7-9 months old, there are many babies who totally skip that step and just get up and walk anywhere from 10-14 months old. My own DD didn't crawl till 10 months, and was walking a few days after her first birthday. My DS was crawling by 8 months but didn't start walking till about 13.5 months. No rhyme or reason to any of it, LOL!! But I wouldn't be concerned just yet!
MamaBear 01:04 PM 09-19-2011
Thanks guys. I've been doing daycare for almost 6 years now and never had a baby that just wanted to sit and not move around. I guess I should cherish this time and enjoy it before he starts running around! haha
cheerfuldom 01:19 PM 09-19-2011
maybe he just needs some motivation? I am finding more and more kids that just aren't used to doing a thing for themselves. They are used to mom bringing toys, shaking rattles and doing every tiny thing for them. They are so confused about someone wanting for them to do it themselves. I have had a 2 year old wait at the table to be spoon fed, older babies crying if a toy is one half inch out of reach, etc. I like to find things that motivate the kids and give them that extra boost to figure it out on their own. Like I had to teach a different 2 year old how to climb in a chair on her own. She would go to the chair and wait to be set in it (I am positive that mom does everything for her). I put her food on the table and position her to climb in the chair and waited for her to do it herself. The whole process took about 10 minutes because she kept giving up but when she finally got it, she said "I did it!" and has been very eager to do chairs like a big girl.
Tags:age appropriate, age appropriate - crawling
Reply Up