Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teachers as clients
childcaremom 11:48 AM 08-02-2015
So, i am interviewing to fill my last 2 spaces and reserving them for teachers.

This works for me as I have my own girls in after school care so I have 2 spaces available when they are in school only, as they are home on breaks. A teacher's schedule works perfectly for obvious reasons.

My dilemma: what to do on snow days? I have PD days covered but am wondering what everyone does for snow days?

I could find use the same babysitter I suppose, but am wondering if anyone has some suggestions that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!
Josiegirl 02:14 PM 08-02-2015
You can put the problem on your potential dcm. Tell her you can only take them when school is in session. Here are a couple other things you might not have thought of...what if your own child is sick and needs to stay home? What if the teacher parent needs an extra day here or there due to parent-teacher conferences, or when teachers have meetings(which I don't know about your school system but it happens monthly here) or when school ends for the summer to clean out or when it starts up and she needs to begin earlier? I remember running into that situation occasionally. Can you call your licensor and see about getting some kind of a variance to allow for an occasional day such as that?

If these interviews work out and feels like a great fit, maybe between the 2 of you, you can figure something out. Either she can use back-up care or you can find a friend to help you out?
Unregistered 02:51 PM 08-02-2015
I've been burnt too many times by teachers to ever give a spot to a teacher's child again. One thing, as another poster pointed out, I've seen in my area is teachers don't spend their time off with their children. I've had teachers drop their kids off every day of the summer. No, they weren't working summer school.
e.j. 05:11 PM 08-02-2015
If you haven't already, you might want to double check your regs. In my state, my kids counted during summer vacation but not for things like snow days or sick days. If your state is the same, it may be a non-issue for you.

Also wanted to say that I've had teacher's kids enrolled in my program from the very start and while one or two behaved like Unregistered described, most appreciated and respected the job I do. I charge everyone - teachers included - for the spot whether they use it or not. My teachers know they have to pay during the summer to hold their spot. They often choose to send their kids because they're paying for it, because they can get things done that they couldn't while they were working and because neither of us wants to disrupt the schedule the child has become accustomed to only to have to readjust in the fall. Some choose to bring their children part time during the summer even though they're paying for a full time spot.

If you double check your regs and find you will need the spots during snow days or sick days for your own kids, just make it a condition of enrollment. Have her sign a contract stating she will keep her children home on such days but then, personally, I'd also agree not charge her for the time.
childcaremom 02:29 AM 08-03-2015
Thanks everyone.

I am legally unlicensed and can have up to 6 children. My own dds need to count in my numbers when they are home. They are in an after school program so not here during the school year but are home during the school breaks.

So I am trying to fill 2 spots with a teacher's child, who won't want/need childcare during the breaks.

What I am currently offering is a higher daily rate, no care during Christmas and March Break and summer (all unpaid), and will hold the spot for September with a deposit.

It works for me as I still need to have the room for my own children during the breaks. I would set it up differently if I was filling all my spots with teachers, however this works for now.

I have care lined up for PD days. I don't think I am eligible for any variances as I am unlicensed, so will need to sort out someone for those snow days or else not be able to offer care. Dcm is a teacher for the same board but her school is far enough away that there is a good chance that both schools may not be closed on the same day. I may see if the same caregiver will be open to snow days.... she just isn't very close if roads are really awful.

And shoot, need a plan for when my dds are sick. I've currently been open (as I've not had their 2 spots filled) but may need to close on those days now.

Eventually I would love to have only teachers as clients so that I can have breaks off with my family. If I charge enough through the year, and SAVE!!, then I will be able to afford it.
Second Home 06:25 AM 08-03-2015
I have teachers kids and they way I work it is .

They are only here on days that school is in session .
All snow days I still am paid but the kids do not come ( no refunds for snow days ).
I do not charge for days schools are scheduled to be closed per the school year calendar , like spring break , summers , holidays. I do not charge for the day for these types of closings only.

I also do not hold spots over the summer if the teacher dcp takes the summer off and the kids do not come . If I have room the next school year they can come back .
childcaremom 07:08 AM 08-03-2015
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have teachers kids and they way I work it is .

They are only here on days that school is in session .
All snow days I still am paid but the kids do not come ( no refunds for snow days ).
I do not charge for days schools are scheduled to be closed per the school year calendar , like spring break , summers , holidays. I do not charge for the day for these types of closings only.

I also do not hold spots over the summer if the teacher dcp takes the summer off and the kids do not come . If I have room the next school year they can come back .
I think I may add that in to my policies. However, that would only work if my dds school and dcm's school are closed on the same day.

In my regular contract, I am paid and closed for holidays such as Easter. Do you offer those days off unpaid? Or do you still charge for those holidays?

My non-teacher clients would pay for those days.
Second Home 09:33 AM 08-03-2015
If the holiday is a scheduled day off on the school calendar then I do not charge the teachers dck for that day .

Since Easter is a Sunday it would never apply to my holidays I get paid for or our schools. But for labor day I would not get paid since it is a school holiday that the school is closed and the teacher dck stay home .
Play Care 09:46 AM 08-03-2015
I give teachers a choice - pay tuition year round as my other parents or pay the teacher rate.

The year round rate means they pay all year, except my three weeks of vacation like all the other families.

The teacher rate means they pay from Sept 1-June 30, and I tell them I am CLOSED every time *their* school is closed (most schools in our area are on the same schedules) - snow days, PD days, vacation weeks, etc. are all PAID.
But I do not charge to hold spots for the summer (8-9 weeks) This works for me as I prefer the lighter load during the summers.

Now, there are times I am open (snow days, some vacation weeks) but I am closed for them, though I don't spell that out for them. IMO, they chose their contract
Tags:teachers as clients
Reply Up