Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-20-2021, 05:41 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Security Deposit Return

Hi

How do I address a refunded security deposit tax wise? Normally I apply it to the last week of care but I abruptly ended care with this family due to Covid and wanting to remain small in size due to the pandamic. Due I count it as a business expense? and not worry that she has already claimed it in a previous year or do I deduct the amount from her year end payment statement and just count as less income for my business?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 07:15 AM
Day Care Owner

If the refund happens now then it has to happen this year not next. (Per Tom Copeland)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:28 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimel61 View Post
Hi

How do I address a refunded security deposit tax wise? Normally I apply it to the last week of care but I abruptly ended care with this family due to Covid and wanting to remain small in size due to the pandamic. Due I count it as a business expense? and not worry that she has already claimed it in a previous year or do I deduct the amount from her year end payment statement and just count as less income for my business?

Thanks
A refunded security deposit is a business expense. Call it "parent refund" and put it under "other expenses" on Schedule C. Deduct this from the amount of her end of year receipt statement.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:02 AM
New Daycare.com Member

thank you

Tags
deposits, refund, tax advice