Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Abusive Swaddling Story?
KDC 08:53 PM 04-24-2013
Did anyone see this article?

http://www.inquisitr.com/634219/abusive-swaddling/
daycare 09:09 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
Did anyone see this article?

http://www.inquisitr.com/634219/abusive-swaddling/
OMG not another one....and in CA again...................not too far from where I live....seriously, what is wrong with people.........I feel like throwing up right now
Little Star75 01:13 AM 04-25-2013
Oh my God! This is like literally 15 min from where I live and didn't hear about this. This is horrible!
Play Care 03:22 AM 04-25-2013
Is swaddling against the regs in their state?

As pointed out in the comments, in many other countries swaddling until the infant is much older is common, could it be a cultural difference?

If it's against the regs, a visit from licensing to educate the women seems in order. If they had already had that (not sure by the article) then arrest them.
LaLa1923 05:14 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

As pointed out in the comments, in many other countries swaddling until the infant is much older is common, could it be a cultural difference?

If it's against the regs, a visit from licensing to educate the women seems in order. If they had already had that (not sure by the article) then arrest them.
I think it had a lot to do with the WAY they were swaddling. They were binding the kids too hard. They were taking their personal rights away. If they were swaddling and not meaning to bind them then that would be a different story...

I can't imagine this would help the children at all. They probably screamed louder...
just_peachy 05:29 AM 04-25-2013
This isn't swaddling, this is TYING THEM UP. I hate that they even used the term swaddle in the article.
Patches 05:29 AM 04-25-2013
I wasn't completely convinced that they were doing anything wrong (because the word "tight" is not very specific) unitl they said they secured it with KNOTS! I would consider that abusive swaddling
LaLa1923 05:38 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
This isn't swaddling, this is TYING THEM UP. I hate that they even used the term swaddle in the article.
I think by using the word "swaddling" they are giving you a better visual. I could see a different picture if they had said "tying".

They also may be using words those women said.
KDC 06:18 AM 04-25-2013
They were 'tying' them up so tight, the extremities were losing feeling, and they were having a difficult time breathing. I think normal swaddling can make the infant feel safe and cozy... this was NOT swaddling! I had one DCG that needed swaddling and she was a bigger DCK, so small swaddling blankets didn't work. DCM brought me a 'special' homemade blanket just for the occasion because it was hard to swaddle a tight swaddle, she still broke out of it often but I was uncomfortable doing it any tighter.

It says there were several infants swaddled this same way It makes me so Poor babes...
Country Kids 06:26 AM 04-25-2013
If you scrolled down to the bottom of the page, it was interesting to read some of the comments.

Sounds like most people believe that possibly they are from another country and didn't understand its not done that way here.

Funny, you would think someone would have reported it before this! A parent picking up early, drop in inspection, something!
crazydaycarelady 06:35 AM 04-25-2013
I am a huge proponent of swaddling but that never involves tying knots for crying out loud!
Unregistered 06:52 AM 04-25-2013
Mine loved being swaddled. It's the restricted breathing and knots part in the story that upset me. They took something meant to make a babe safe & cozy into something unsafe and scary.
mom2many 07:31 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
If you scrolled down to the bottom of the page, it was interesting to read some of the comments.

Sounds like most people believe that possibly they are from another country and didn't understand its not done that way here.

Funny, you would think someone would have reported it before this! A parent picking up early, drop in inspection, something!
This is horrible... One person even commented and said, "that the one sister had been shut down for abuse charges and reopened in 2010 in the same building under her sister's name."

Thankfully another worker called and reported this was going on.
jokalima 09:42 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

That was exactly my first thought, their names seem to be foreign so maybe it is a cultural thing.
Play Care 09:53 AM 04-25-2013
Originally Posted by jokalima:
That was exactly my first thought, their names seem to be foreign so maybe it is a cultural thing.
If they were tying them too tightly or so they were having breathing issues, then throw the book at them. But I like to know way more before I make decisions. Too many providers get the book thrown at them without any real investigation.

That said, if the comment about the older sister is true, then this might be a provider with a history of known issues. This was not mentioned in the article but would be a relevant bit of info.
Tags:abusive home, article, swaddling
Reply Up