Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>There Is Nothing These Kids Will Eat!!!
Unregistered 06:56 PM 09-07-2016
So...my friend who helps me with the business of my daycare was chatting with me and mentioned that I'm wasting a lot of money on food that kids simply don't eat. I feel like the kiddos at my daycare don't eat anything more than pizza, chicken nuggets, fish sticks or fries. Any veggies put on their plate is simply left there. Any casserole made is left and most say they don't like it. I'm running out of ideas. I don't feel like I'm providing quality care to kids if I'm merely giving them chicken nuggets and other "all American" food that provides little to no nutrition.

As an example, recently I made Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. DCG looked at it and said, "this isn't same color as what we make at home, and I don't want it." (BTW...they make the same kind of Mac & Cheese at home!).

What do I do?
KiwiKids 07:04 PM 09-07-2016
I have learned to not worry about what food goes in the trash. In the trash or in their belly, the cost is the same to me. I do take notes of favorite meals and snacks and since I have a small group, I am able to make sure at least everyone has something they like. Hungry kids will eat for the most part. I have had kids with texture issues and I did make changes to be sure there was at least one item on the plate they would eat.
Nurse Jackie 08:37 PM 09-07-2016
I don't take it personal if they do not eat what I make. Right now I have a good group of eaters so their lunch can be whatever I'm making for dinner and they'll eat it. This wasn't always the case. A few months back I had a group that would only eat fish sticks, chicken nuggets, etc. When I first started out I made healthy meals and some parents would rather their kids ate then not so I adjusted my menu because to be honest I was putting a lot of effort into making food that was being tossed in the trash. When interviewing I had some parents who loved what I made and some who didn't love the healthy meals.So I adjusted my menu to the fish sticks and chicken nuggets and when interviewing I had some parents who loved the menu and some who didn't. I decided to make what I want to make if they eat it great, if not I'm not gonna stress over it. You can't please everyone.
Unregistered 12:08 AM 09-08-2016
I hear you! I know how frustrating this can be. But I believe in serving those healthy meals. I've only had a few picky eaters over the years. It does sound like kids are getting pickier and pickier.

I also make my healthy meals and not worry about it. I will give smaller portions of veggies or some other things. I have more available and that's all I'm required to do.

I tend to have healthy eaters. I'm a believer of kids needing to have healthy options. There's that old advice that kids need to be served a new food...what is it like 12 times or something. I feel it's the same with healthy, homemade food.

I serve mainly from scratch, homemade meals but still kid friendly. I do serve Annie's Mac n cheese with added cheese sprinkled on top. I will serve grilled cheese, spaghetti, frozen ravioli/sauce, etc. so I do serve some convienence foods. I'm 90% organic.

I don't know, this is tough! I have had a few kids that were extremely picky. I had one boy years ago that would eat nothing but meat. No pizza, no snacks, no cheese, nothing but meat and milk! Odd or what? He'd just sit there and stare at a cookie!
Josiegirl 03:26 AM 09-08-2016
Kids like to(and need to) exert some control over their lives and this is one place they can do it. Serving the same mac 'n' cheese at home but they refuse yours, shows that. I would just serve what you'd normally serve, don't cater but maybe try to use a component at each meal that most kids will eat. Serve less so you won't feel like it's all going in the trash and try not to make a huge deal with the kids about it.

Someone on here posted a link awhile back, some cute compartmentalized dishes. I bought some and the dcks love them. I think sometimes how a food is served helps them try something new too. Make funny faces on bagels or rice cakes, using veggies/fruits.
Pestle 03:43 AM 09-08-2016
The children aren't going to starve themselves, and you'll be claiming the same meals on your taxes whether they're eaten or not. If you persistently provide healthy food in a variety of colors and textures, and you don't pressure the kids about eating, then you'll be a positive force in their lives and you'll be normalizing the healthy foods their parents fail to serve them. Serve lots of veggies so you can compost them.
laundrymom 03:54 AM 09-08-2016
I haven't read all responses but I wouldn't serve any of the heavily processed foods they seem to crave. I would offer healthy options and if they eat, happy happy. If they don't, I still am happy happy.
But I don't serve the foods you mentioned. Mac and cheese here is whole wheat pasta cooked fresh, takes about fifteen minutes. And fresh grated Parmesan or Asiago sprinkled on top. No velveeta thick heavy goop. Just real food.
It's aside. Cheaper and better for them.
(And me). Lol
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 09-08-2016
I don't even concern myself with what I "think" the kids might eat or not eat.
I just continue serving healthy foods and proper portions.

Just like rest time, I can't force them so I just make sure it's available.
The rest is up to them.

I am lucky as my kiddos ALL eat fantastically and love veggies of ALL kinds... (I rarely have food that is wasted or even any left overs) but NOT because I "trained" them to eat this way or because they eat the same way at home.

I KNOW many of my kiddos eat foods at home that barely require silverware let alone meeting healthy guidelines and it hardly impacts what I have going on here.

I also know it's not just this particular group (although most are siblings to kids I've had in the past) as food and eating here hasn't been an issue since...Hmmm, I don't know for sure but sometime back when I used to care.

I no longer stress about meal time. I serve. They eat or don't. THEIR choice.
Either way, the food is gone and I am either reimbursed or am able to deduct it so nothing changes on my end.

Makes meal time easy and fun when there is no pressure and no stress.
Unregistered 07:24 AM 09-08-2016
The hard/frustrating part is no matter what I try (making the appearance fun, offering rewards for eating, etc)., some WILL NOT eat it at all. My son has a texture problem, but for most it's not texture at all, it's pickiness or appearance.

What they do is say, "I won't eat it," and then they wait until snack time to have snacks. If I "forbid" snacks if they don't eat their lunch, then they go home and say, "Ms. C doesn't feed us!" I put on their report what was served, and whether they ate or not. I also provide a weekly meal plan (which I'm now changing to a monthly meal plan to give me more time and less work). I always figured that I can't provide the entire food pyramid, but if I listed what I did feed them, the parents can decide from there what they want to make sure their kids eat.

I think what I am going to do is make a list of foods for lunches that the kids like and I know will eat. I so badly want healthy foods; however, I'd rather make the parents happy knowing their kids have been fed something than offered something they won't eat and have not had anything at all. I will then offer one veggie and one fruit each day (i.e. one green bean on their plate, or a couple kernels of corn). If they want more, they can ask for it. Then, at least I'm indicating that I'm including a fruit and veggie with their meal and not wasting so much.

Any thoughts?
Rockgirl 07:35 AM 09-08-2016
I'm on the food program, so I have to follow their guidelines as far as portions, components, etc. That being said, it's possible to be on the fp and still serve a bunch of junk.

As for the kids claiming you don't feed them, if you are serving the food, you're covered. My dc parents love the fact that their kids are served healthy foods here, instead of junk.

Also, I don't allow the kids to say negative words about the food served, such as "yuck", "I hate that", etc. I tell them if they don't like a food, just don't say anything about it.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The hard/frustrating part is no matter what I try (making the appearance fun, offering rewards for eating, etc)., some WILL NOT eat it at all. My son has a texture problem, but for most it's not texture at all, it's pickiness or appearance.

What they do is say, "I won't eat it," and then they wait until snack time to have snacks. If I "forbid" snacks if they don't eat their lunch, then they go home and say, "Ms. C doesn't feed us!" I put on their report what was served, and whether they ate or not. I also provide a weekly meal plan (which I'm now changing to a monthly meal plan to give me more time and less work). I always figured that I can't provide the entire food pyramid, but if I listed what I did feed them, the parents can decide from there what they want to make sure their kids eat.

I think what I am going to do is make a list of foods for lunches that the kids like and I know will eat. I so badly want healthy foods; however, I'd rather make the parents happy knowing their kids have been fed something than offered something they won't eat and have not had anything at all. I will then offer one veggie and one fruit each day (i.e. one green bean on their plate, or a couple kernels of corn). If they want more, they can ask for it. Then, at least I'm indicating that I'm including a fruit and veggie with their meal and not wasting so much.

Any thoughts?
I ONLY server fresh veggies (carrot sticks, cucumbers, pepper strips, cherry tomatoes, coleslaw, snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli etc) for snack.

Those that hold out for snack don't have much luck.

I NEVER ever serve carbs, starches or grains for snack time. If you do, you have those that try to hold out for snack. When the kiddos say "Miss BC didn't feed us" I immediately say "No, I fed you. YOU just didn't want to eat. NOT the same thing Billy."

I make this VERY clear to my parents beforehand too so they KNOW I am NOT denying their child the same meals/snacks that all the others get.

This is one of those areas where you do have to give choices. Just make sure that all the options to choose from are healthy and no matter what choice the child goes with, you win. (for lack of a better word.)
Unregistered 07:49 AM 09-08-2016
I would definitely not ask parents what they want me to make sure the kids eat. That's setting yourself up for tons of ordeals!! Don't make unhealthy options because you want them to eat something, anything. Most definitely, I wouldn't offer rewards or praise at all for eating anything. Also wouldn't deny snack for not having eaten previously- I'm pretty sure that would be considered withholding food as a punishment which is totally not acceptable in the eyes of the state (and human decency). So, what my thoughts are, on what TO DO is only offer healthy choices from the appropriate food groups. A small portion of each. Make "trying" one bite a strong suggestion. Let them have seconds- doesn't matter if it's healthy. If you serve strawberries, soup, wheat bread and milk and child only eats the bread, let them have the seconds until that day's allotment is "all out". Then they eat all the strawberries (not all the strawberries in the house if you have more than one meal's worth. just what you have allotted for that meal). Then, if they are still hungry, the soup is there. If they don't eat it, throw away what was served, keep the rest for yourself. When you tell parents lunch was soup, berries, milk and wheat bread, leave it at that. If they ask what their specific child ate, you can elaborate. Also, that day, when they ate no soup, and then snack time comes- don't serve the soup again, that's not cool! And don't withhold food as punishment and don't pander to the children's desires for carbs and sugar. Just offer a normal snack and they can take it or leave it. Carrots and cheese. One piece of each and seconds if they want so you don't throw away...

Just my thoughts. You can do food however you want! People take issue with anything and everything. Do all chicken nuggets if you want, but don't, for the love of god, ask parents what they want you to force their kids to eat! That will make your life heck
Baby Beluga 08:25 AM 09-08-2016
Do the children see you fretting over them not eating?

If so - I would stop. Just simply plate their food, set the timer and clear the table when lunch is over. Do not say one word about who is or who is not eating.

I would also change snacks to include a combination of fresh veggies, protein and fruit. As PP's said that will eliminate the children who are holding out for snack.

Here are a few snacks we have here to get you started:

*Hard boiled egg and strawberries
*Celery, PB and raisins (ants on a log)
*Veggie platter with hummus (I usually do a combination of raw carrots, celery, bell pepper strips, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes - whatever I have in the fridge)
*Black beans and bell pepper strips
*Grape halves and cheese cubes
*Broccoli and homemade cheese dip
*Scrambled eggs - I usually add in whatever veggies and meat I have in the fridge
*Nuts and dried fruit - our favorite is raw cashews and dried cranberries. This one is dependent on age of course.
*Carrot sticks and raisins
*Chicken salad with carrot sticks or celery sticks to dip instead of bread or crackers.
*Grilled chicken strips with veggies
*Apple slices and PB

I just want to add that many children have to eat something quite a few times in order to develop the taste for it. You get new taste buds about every 14 days and it is possible to train them to like new foods. You just have to keep serving healthy foods in a no fuss way.
Play Care 09:42 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by unregistered:
i would definitely not ask parents what they want me to make sure the kids eat. That's setting yourself up for tons of ordeals!!

Just my thoughts. You can do food however you want! People take issue with anything and everything. Do all chicken nuggets if you want, but don't, for the love of god, ask parents what they want you to force their kids to eat! That will make your life heck
amen!!!!
daycarediva 09:54 AM 09-08-2016
You have to stop getting upset over what they will/won't eat. You should act totally chill about the whole process. "Oh, not hungry I see." (and clear that plate) no bribes, no coaxing, no rewards, NO REACTION.

SIMPLIFY your meals. I start my kids out with plain everything separate. Nothing mixed. Plain veggie or ww pasta, plain veggie/raw or steamed, plain fresh fruit, plain meat/meat sub.

Then as the time together progresses, I get more and more adventurous. I always ask the parent what their favorite healthy meal is at home and try to incorporate that into my monthly menus. One kid LOVES beans- so we serve them often, and a variety, now several other kids love beans!

Also, I talk positively about what food does to/for us. I LOVE CARROTS! They have vitamin A. They help my eyes! This chicken will make my muscles big and strong. Let me see your muscles! Wow, you must eat so much chicken! Did you grow? I think you did!

Also, when the kids high-5 me, I pretend it hurts and say WOW, you must have eaten vegetables recently. You're really strong!

Some are still horrendously picky (2 now) but the parents give into it at home.

Snacks here- fruit/veg/protein. Fridays we have a grain snack. That's it, can't hold out!
Pestle 11:00 AM 09-08-2016
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to skip snacks for kids who didn't eat lunch. I get what you're trying to do, but I think it would count as punishment by withholding food.

Just keep the snack portions smallish, and make them healthy. Or--cover up lunch and serve it again.
laundrymom 11:22 AM 09-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

What they do is say, "I won't eat it," and then they wait until snack time to have snacks. If I "forbid" snacks if they don't eat their lunch, then they go home and say, "Ms. C doesn't feedus!!

Any thoughts?
"Mom, I offer a healthy variety of foods daily. If Sarah chooses not to try new foods I can't make her. "
Tags:won't eat
Reply Up