Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sippy Cup vs Straw Cup?
Unregistered 01:36 PM 11-24-2016
I have noticed those straw sippy cups are very popular now with the new info about regular sippy cups causing speech delays. I have a toddler who has only been given a straw cup at home. I only have the regular sippy cups, so when i gave him one he could not figure out how to lift his head and the cup so he could get the milk. He sucked on the top of the cup as if it was a straw, but of course nothing comes up. I keep showing him how to do it, but he just doesnt get it. How will he ever transition to a regular cup if he cant even figure this out. Sort of concerning. So now I feel like these straw sippys are delaying other skills. What do you guys think?
ColorfulSunburst 06:04 PM 11-24-2016
I think nothing about it)))
I have no straw cups or sippy cups here. Only regular cups.
MarinaVanessa 07:53 PM 11-24-2016
I doubt it'll delay anything. If it was reversed and he were using regular sippy cups at home and you were using straw cups at daycare he'd have the same issue of having to learn how to drink from a new type of cup. It just takes time. You could think about something yummy in the cup like some flavored water or juice to entice him to try harder to drink from it, then just keep tilting the cup up for him every once in a while with a finger to give him a taste. He'll eventually figure it out.

I use both types of cups here, straws and regular. I've noticed that for whatever reason breastfed babies/kids learn to drink from the straw cups faster than the bottle fed babies and that bottle fed babies learn to drink from regular cups faster than breastfed babies.
Unregistered 04:12 AM 11-25-2016
I don't use either kind either. I use 5oz. Dixie cups. NOT the thin bathroom cups-they are 3 oz. and too thin.
daycarediva 04:18 AM 11-25-2016
regular cups from the beginning here. 18m+
childcaremom 04:33 AM 11-25-2016
I do not like the straws. I find the kids flick them and I get milk and water all over the place.

I start them on sippy cups. Take and toss brand.

Like MV said, even if they are using sippies at home, it takes a while to adjust to whatever cup I am using. I spend some time tipping it up so they understand how it works and usually by the end of the first week they have it figured out.

By 18 mos they are on regular cups.
Unregistered 05:26 AM 11-25-2016
Its been 5 months and he still isnt figuring it out..
But i think im going to use regular cups now.
Puddleduck 07:00 AM 11-25-2016
https://well.ca/products/munchkin-7-...wD4aAhyF8P8HAQ

I'm a fan of these cups for 12-18 months and then normal cups for 18 months +.
racemom 07:28 AM 11-25-2016
Once ours starting using a cup, always an open cup. We have 6 oz Tupperware cups and that is what everyone uses. Start out with a little bit and show them how. I'd you have to show them how to use a sippy/straw cup why not skip that and teach them an open cup instead.
renodeb 09:35 PM 11-26-2016
I personally hate straw cups. I haven't found one yet that does not flick liquid when the kids sip from it or one that the kids cant chew up. I have used sippy cups and then regular cups when they are ready and never had a kid with any speech delay.
Why are they saying sippy cups cause delays? I haven't heard that.
I guess I'm in the minority with when to switch to regular cups, 18 months seems a little young but that's just me.
Deb
Tags:sippy cup, straws
Reply Up