Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Employee Emergencies
springv 09:53 AM 02-01-2020
Friday (1-24) employee had to leave because their loved one was being admitted to the hospital because of illness and they stayed all weekend and then on monday, they worked and then after work, they went back to the hospital and then complications happened and they had to take off the rest of the week to stay with their loved one and our administrator got upset because them employee had to miss work and couldn't find anyone to cover their shift for the rest of the week and the administrator stated they didn't even try to ask anyone plus the administrator is threatening to tell the employee to call the boss and tell her that they can't work. What would you do?
Unregistered 11:45 AM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Friday (1-24) employee had to leave because their loved one was being admitted to the hospital because of illness and they stayed all weekend and then on monday, they worked and then after work, they went back to the hospital and then complications happened and they had to take off the rest of the week to stay with their loved one and our administrator got upset because them employee had to miss work and couldn't find anyone to cover their shift for the rest of the week and the administrator stated they didn't even try to ask anyone plus the administrator is threatening to tell the employee to call the boss and tell her that they can't work. What would you do?
As an administrator, I would be upset too. The employee isn't sick. S(he) can visit her loved one after her shift.
My loved husband was very sick (cancer). So, I spent all the time before and after my job with him (weekends, evenings, nights) in the hospital.
Cat Herder 01:30 PM 02-01-2020
If they have no vacation built up and this loved one is not their own minor child, they need to get their shift covered or go before and after work as mentioned before. The hospital is providing shelter and care. Surely part-time co-workers would be willing to help cover for extra hours? Most beg for them.

I live in a right to work state, so I would have been let go as soon as my vacation days were used up because of job abandonment. If I intended to keep my job, I'd go to work. If it was important enough to give up my job, I would do that. Daycare center jobs are pretty easy to come by.
springv 02:47 PM 02-01-2020
She claims that she was the only one that could stay because everyone else had responsibilities. But the administrator claims that it's because they wanted to be in control of everything and no one else gets to have a say
Cat Herder 03:12 PM 02-01-2020
She claims that she was the only one that could stay because everyone else had responsibilities. But the administrator claims that it's because they wanted to be in control of everything and no one else gets to have a say
Having a job, that provides an income, to support one's self, is an adult responsibility. How is she any different? I take it this is not her child? Either way, admin is well within their right to terminate.
sahm1225 04:14 PM 02-01-2020
Idk. My first thought was that the employee notified them
She couldn’t work the rest of the week and at the end of the day, in 10 years, she’ll remember being there for that person vs choosing to stay at work. I think I would need to know more about the situation, but I’m Still leaning towards showing compassion.

Ps. I am confused as to what the difference between an administrator is versus the boss.
springv 04:45 PM 02-01-2020
It's actually their grandmother
flying_babyb 04:47 PM 02-01-2020
They can take time from there responsibilties. When my best freinds grandma was sick and didnt want to be alone at the hospital we (best freind, me, her mom) worked it out to take shifts.
sahm1225 05:08 PM 02-01-2020
It's actually their grandmother
The week before Christmas, my grandmother was hospitalized. My uncle calls my mom at 6pm and tells her that the doctor said to tell everyone to make arrangements to come say their goodbyes. My mom was hysterical. I helped make arrangements that night for my aunts & uncles to visit. The next day, I kept going back and forth on what I was found to do. Around 6pm, my uncle calls me (this is a retired military general, so very business like/factual tone of voice) and tells me that she’s back in surgery and they don’t know if she’ll make it through the night and got chocked up and asked if I could help with arrangements. My grandmother made a recovery and just turned 88. But at that moment, I hung up and was going to close the daycare for the remainder of the week. Being there for my family meant more to me and if daycare families didn’t understand, then so be it.

I still see it that the employee notified her job that she had an emergency. If her grandmother passes away, she’ll be happy she was there. If the center fires her, I’d be prepared to fight it when she files for unemployment. She had an emergency and lost pay and is dealing with a difficult time and possibly will lose her grandmother.
springv 07:29 PM 02-01-2020
Her grandmother is doing fine and is home.
Unregistered 09:40 PM 02-01-2020
Family is more important than any job for me.
Unregistered 10:28 PM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Family is more important than any job for me.
so, does it mean you will quit from your job in case of every family emergency?

I, as a business owner, understand and accept 1-2 days of absence because of a family emergency. But a week sitting in a hospital? What for? In my opinion, it is just an excuse for a physically and emotionally lazy person who doesn't want to go to work and doesn't make an effort to respect people who depend on him.
Cat Herder 03:09 AM 02-02-2020
so, does it mean you will quit from your job in case of every family emergency?

I, as a business owner, understand and accept 1-2 days of absence because of a family emergency. But a week sitting in a hospital? What for? In my opinion, it is just an excuse for a physically and emotionally lazy person who doesn't want to go to work and doesn't make an effort to respect people who depend on him.
I was raised and feel the same way. I think this mindset may be cultural. Resilience requires a pre-plan, adults have them.

I would have found a compromise in there somewhere. My family members would have each taken a day or so and stayed in shifts. Nobody would want to risk their jobs. There would even be the possibility that this family member would need their financial support longterm. How can you be family support with no income?

Again, if it were my minor child, the world stops and I live off my emergency fund and lean on my support circle. I have seen me do it. You deal with the consequences as it comes, then. But, if this was an adult I would expect they also have an emergency fund and a support circle to call on and I am one of several. The five times I have been hospitalized, I kicked everyone out to rest. They visited after work or on Sunday.
dolores 07:19 AM 02-02-2020
It is very disruptive to a business when an employee has an emergency and needs time off unexpectedly. In New York State, I am required to have paid family leave coverage that the employee pays for through deductions from their paychecks. Under paid family leave, an employee can take up to 12 weeks off (and receive half their pay which is paid to them from the fund they contributed to) to care for an ill family member and their job will be protected. It would be illegal for me to fire the person while they're covered. So in this scenario, I would have no choice but to not only accommodate the employee, but also hold their job for them, if it is a valid family emergency. Sucks but its the law.
Cat Herder 09:04 AM 02-02-2020
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
If the center fires her, I’d be prepared to fight it when she files for unemployment. She had an emergency and lost pay and is dealing with a difficult time and possibly will lose her grandmother.
That is a luxury that very few states have. That is why our culture views it differently. Right to work states do not allow for this unless the employee has saved vacation time (PTO). It isn't about being "right" it is about our laws. Those of us who live in these states have to balance finances, stability and emotion.

Luckily, the majority of us have no difficulty in calling our co-workers and getting coverage because they want us to cover for them when they are in similar situations. Many times co-workers will work shifts and allow the employee to keep their pay by donating their own PTO, voluntarily. That is also an option at many places, here, and very common.

It falls to the employees, not the employers. If employers are on the hook for all family emergency costs, the employers simply close to go do business in other states that are more profitable. Jobs are a gift, not a right.
Unregistered 01:10 PM 02-02-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
It is very disruptive to a business when an employee has an emergency and needs time off unexpectedly. In New York State, I am required to have paid family leave coverage that the employee pays for through deductions from their paychecks. Under paid family leave, an employee can take up to 12 weeks off (and receive half their pay which is paid to them from the fund they contributed to) to care for an ill family member and their job will be protected. It would be illegal for me to fire the person while they're covered. So in this scenario, I would have no choice but to not only accommodate the employee, but also hold their job for them, if it is a valid family emergency. Sucks but its the law.
grandparents are not eligible as family members for that act.
dolores 02:10 PM 02-02-2020
grandparents are not eligible as family members for that act.
In New York you can take PFL for grandparents https://paidfamilyleave.ny.gov/paid-...ve-family-care

You can take Paid Family Leave to care for a close family member with a serious health condition, including family members outside of New York State.

Family members include:
spouse
domestic partner (including same and different gender couples; legal registration not required)
child/stepchild and anyone for whom you have legal custody
parent/stepparent
parent-in-law
grandparent
grandchild
Unregistered 03:30 PM 02-02-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
In New York you can take PFL for grandparents https://paidfamilyleave.ny.gov/paid-...ve-family-care

You can take Paid Family Leave to care for a close family member with a serious health condition, including family members outside of New York State.

Family members include:
spouse
domestic partner (including same and different gender couples; legal registration not required)
child/stepchild and anyone for whom you have legal custody
parent/stepparent
parent-in-law
grandparent
grandchild
there are more other criteria you must meet to be qualified to have the right to take PFL.

for an ex. Certification of a Serious Health Condition.
(a) It is the employee’s responsibility to obtain a medical certification from a
health care provider and to provide [the issuer] with the complete and sufficient
certification for PFL taken due to the serious health condition of a family member.
Failure to provide the certification may result in the denial of PFL benefits

Also, for еру benefit you must apply for that. If you don't apply and don't officially inform your employer, you can be fired for absenteeism.

It doesn't work like that: my grandparent is in a hospital and I am going to be there for so long as I think it is necessary. I do not care about my responsibility to you as to my employer. I will return to my job when I am ready for that.
Tags:adults, employee - sick days, employee emergencies, finances, responsibilities
Reply Up