Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day. Nope?
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:42 AM 05-07-2015
I was told this morning at drop-offs that 2 kids would not be here tomorrow, and 1 other is not coming until lunch. These are my oldest kids, and the other 5 are all 2yo and under (2 are even little babies). I had planned to make our Mother's Day gifts tomorrow. I'm not prepared to do them today, and don't want to make the effort to. Obviously, I can (I'm whining on here, after all), I just don't want to reorganize and stress over it because of their short notice.

Any more, I feel like I just want to say no more holiday parties and parent gifts and just stick with preschool curriculum and that is all. The expectations are too much. I honestly think I am going to go this route, starting now.

Does anyone just not do this stuff? How do parents react when you explain it to them? Or will I kill my business because I sound lazy (which is hilarious...come spend a day with one of us...)?
butterfly 08:50 AM 05-07-2015
I like the way you think.

I've thought of cutting out this stuff too. But I feel its an expectation of my profession. I did simplify things this year though. I did not purchase anything. I went through my craft closet and pulled out leftover items from years past. I let the kids paint ceramic items. I was going to buy pots for them to paint and then plant flowers. I decided I didn't want to put all that effort into it this year.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 05-07-2015
Don't stress about it and do what you originally planned. This happened a lot to me last year, dcks not coming or coming late, so they would miss art/craft/cooking time. So this year I informed dcps that there will be no make up for missed activities. It's been great because now I don't need to worry about dcps making comments about why didn't dck make this and that.
childcaremom 09:16 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I was told this morning at drop-offs that 2 kids would not be here tomorrow, and 1 other is not coming until lunch. These are my oldest kids, and the other 5 are all 2yo and under (2 are even little babies). I had planned to make our Mother's Day gifts tomorrow. I'm not prepared to do them today, and don't want to make the effort to. Obviously, I can (I'm whining on here, after all), I just don't want to reorganize and stress over it because of their short notice.

Any more, I feel like I just want to say no more holiday parties and parent gifts and just stick with preschool curriculum and that is all. The expectations are too much. I honestly think I am going to go this route, starting now.

Does anyone just not do this stuff? How do parents react when you explain it to them? Or will I kill my business because I sound lazy (which is hilarious...come spend a day with one of us...)?
I don't do anything for any holidays. In fact, I don't do crafts in the typical sense.

All my 'arts and crafts' is process oriented. So I put the stuff out and the kids can decide if and what they want to do/make. Very open ended. I change what is available every so often, some days minimal, some days more.

I actually mention this during interviews. That their children will not be coming home with put together crafts. I explain what our creativity time looks like and leave it at that. In fact, most times the dcks will create something and not even bother to take it home. I have them hanging in the playroom and every so often will gather things together to send home with them.
AuntTami 09:18 AM 05-07-2015
I'm a terrible person. I have all young kids(no one under 3) so we don't do many crafts or parties. I'd end up doing all the crafts myself anyways so it doesn't pay. We did a hand print Christmas tree at Christmas but that was the last send home project lll
AmyKidsCo 09:35 AM 05-07-2015
Our gifts are going tone late because I'm closed tomorrow and they're going to need more than 1 coat of paint. The cards will be done though!
finsup 10:01 AM 05-07-2015
Hey, at least you planned lol. I completely dropped the ball on mothers day. Its just been so nice this week, we've been outside and I forgot all about mothers day. Next year...lol. Thankfully most families here don't mind and my problem family that does didn't send DCB again today (opened late due to my daughters 1 yr check up). DCB had just laid down for a nap when i got home. Dcd plan was to let him sleep for half an hour, wake him up and bring him over here to finish his nap. Sorry DCD but that is not happening. If he's sleeping you let him sleep. DCM will be home before he wakes up and I'm sure you can handle a sleeping baby that long But hey since he's not here there's really no mothers day expectation (not back until next week) lol.
Unregistered 10:06 AM 05-07-2015
I started doing those types of things the week before. For some reason it feels less stressful (especially at Christmas), and I can pull it out any day or time the following week.
spinnymarie 11:28 AM 05-07-2015
I'm sure the dads can take over
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:

Me.
I dont do any packages crafts, holiday gifts, parties or anything remotely related.
None of my parents have ever said a word about it and Ive never been asked if I do or why I dont. I also dont think any of my parents feels its lazy...
All my kids leaves my program prepared for Kindy and everyone of them leaves daily clean, fed, happy and well taken care of during the day.
Controlled Chaos 01:14 PM 05-07-2015
I started our craft on Monday so would have time to leisurely finish them. I really like all my dcp s and wanted to do something nice for them. I sent some home yesterday (lots of families are taking a long weekend) all were very grateful and made a big deal of thanking me and their child.

If you don't want to - I wouldn't worry about it.
daycare 01:36 PM 05-07-2015
I am starting to rethink it too.

I have kids that are PT and don't attend care on the day that we planned to make our gift, so that means everyone but these two kids will get to have a gift to take home.. I can't keep doing things on different days outside of our plans to please the others, it's way to distracting.

I am already over it....since we already did mothers day, I will do fathers day and then after that I quit with all of that stuff.....DONE, stick a fork in me...
Tags:mother's day
Reply Up