Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips for Juggling Two Infants
mandy2552 01:17 PM 08-10-2016
I'm new to owning a daycare. Right now I have a 7 month old and 3.5 month old. Along with two preschoolers. I am hoping to find others that have juggled two infants at once and wondering what tips or equipment you found helpful? I have a swing, pack n plays, a play mat.

Thanks!
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by mandy2552:
I'm new to owning a daycare. Right now I have a 7 month old and 3.5 month old. Along with two preschoolers. I am hoping to find others that have juggled two infants at once and wondering what tips or equipment you found helpful? I have a swing, pack n plays, a play mat.

Thanks!
I don't use any infant equipment other than a mini-crib and a high chair. Everything else just creates a habit I have to break later. (but that's just me...it's easier for me personally)

As for juggling infants, I don't see it being too difficult as their ages are far enough apart that their developmental needs and stages are vastly different.

I'd hold and feed the 3 month old their bottle while the 7 month old is sitting in the high chair eating.

As for napping, I have 12 kids (3 mos-5 yrs) and they all nap at the same time.
laundrymom 01:33 PM 08-10-2016
I use nothing but gravity, a couple cribs and my arms.
LysesKids 01:34 PM 08-10-2016
Originally Posted by mandy2552:

Thanks!
I do 4 at once as an infant only home lol... I don't use swings or exersaucers... only bouncers, play mats and PnP's w/3" mattresses in them and these are for nap time only w a few exceptions ( like separating for illness while waiting for pick up). I allow a lot of floor time and they learn to crawl up & down on the nap mats that they will transition to at 12 months. I also have special boosters for ages 7months-about 4 years old that they sit in at the table for feeding, no highchairs
Leigh 02:35 PM 08-10-2016
For equipment, I like to have a Rock N Play that I can move around with me (so I can take the younger infant in the kitchen with me while I make lunch). I have a jumperoo and a bumbo chair that I use daily right now (twins with developmental issues-their physical therapist wants one of them to sit in the bumbo a LOT to work on head control and use the jumperoo, too-it's been terribly difficult to get this one to do anything but lie on his back).

I find having two infants to be pretty easy. I like having two-they tend to be able to entertain one another when I'm not able to tend to them.
renodeb 03:11 PM 08-10-2016
I have a baby swing, and a floor gym, plus pack n play. If they are both really young infants I find it beneficial to make sure there feedings are not at the same time. If they are older like 9 mos then feeding them together is better.
I have an 8 month old and a 9 month old they mostly eat the same things so it's easier to feed them together.
Deb
Miss A 08:46 AM 08-11-2016
I have only infant enrollment right now, and I love it!

I feed on demand, but infants usually develop a discernable feeding schedule of their own that I maintain until they are on table foods.

I nap them all at the same time, including the 14 month old as she has not yet shown me that she is ready to cut down to one nap a day. As of right now, they all take a 1.5/2 hour AM nap after breakfast, and another 1.5/2 hour nap around 1/1:30. I rock them while they take their bottles, which helps them to settle then I lay them down in the PNP's drowsy but awake. It took quite a while to get one little guy trained to put himself to sleep, but he is mom's last baby and she is determined to keep him that way, so she rocks to sleep all the time and bed shares at home. He is a terror for DCD, but usually pretty good for me.

I do have a walker/exersaucer and a swing, but we do mostly floor time so that they are able to develop their gross motor skills. I use a boppy pillow to help support unstable sitters and help with tummy time, but other than that they are pretty much left on the floor with tubs of toys that they can dump and share as they please.
Tags:infants
Reply Up