Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would YOU Spend $1,000.00 On?
LoraJenkins 03:25 PM 03-01-2013
I have managed to save up a grand since the beginning of the year and am looking to put it towards my daycare. I am setting up a new daycare room and have purchased everything I can think of already as far as storage. I have purchased all of my playground equipment ....just have to clear the yard & set it up. So...I am at a loss as what to do with the $. If you had the grand...what would you buy. I want to invest the money the best way possible.
canadiancare 03:29 PM 03-01-2013
If you truly have everything you need I would bank it for a rainy day.
NeedaVaca 03:31 PM 03-01-2013
Do you already have all the toys, pack n plays/nap cots, diaper changing stations, tables/chairs for art/food? I would love to have that much money to put towards my daycare!
CedarCreek 05:00 PM 03-01-2013
That indoor tumble stuff! I don't know what the official name is for it.
blandino 05:15 PM 03-01-2013
Right now I am dying for a circle time rug. And am in the process of deciding which one to purchase.

I also really want a multi-child stroller- but can't justify the money.

http://www.woodentoddlertoys.com/b6s...FQeznQodCXQAbw

I would say a good large purchase is any of the daycare furniture (tables, feeding tables, storage armoires) etc. If I were to make a big purchase other than what I mentioned above - that would be it.
DCBlessings27 05:21 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
That indoor tumble stuff! I don't know what the official name is for it.
This. I would like something like this to make the daycare area safe and comfortable for the kids.
jenn 05:33 PM 03-01-2013
Art supplies, easels, dress up things, space saving high chairs, pack and plays, play yard, ... those are things I would buy
Sprouts 07:30 PM 03-01-2013
some nice big acrylic , unbreakable mirrors, like the ones from discount school supply....some montessori activities like the binomial cubes and such....and a really good back and leg massage
itlw8 07:45 PM 03-01-2013
rubber mulch
LK5kids 08:10 PM 03-01-2013
A six kid stroller. The one I want is about $725.00.
Lyss 08:37 PM 03-01-2013
light & sensory table!
nanglgrl 09:24 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
light & sensory table!
You can buy a light box at hobby lobby for pretty cheap. I don't know where your located or if they have them there but most hobby stores have them and the nice thing is you can set them up right on your table or the floor.
I've also seen where people have made a box that has a plexiglass top and put white Christmas lights inside to get the same effect.
nanglgrl 09:25 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Look for these on Craigslist and when other local daycares close down. I see them at least a few times a year for a lot cheaper!
nanglgrl 09:27 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
some nice big acrylic , unbreakable mirrors, like the ones from discount school supply....some montessori activities like the binomial cubes and such....and a really good back and leg massage
Pay close attention to the reviews on these. The ones I have (purchased from different companies at different times) scratch easy, are hard to clean and end up giving a very distorted image after a short while.
Texasjeepgirl 09:35 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
rubber mulch
ditto
Lyss 10:22 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
You can buy a light box at hobby lobby for pretty cheap. I don't know where your located or if they have them there but most hobby stores have them and the nice thing is you can set them up right on your table or the floor.
I've also seen where people have made a box that has a plexiglass top and put white Christmas lights inside to get the same effect.
Rope lights and an upside down Ikea trofast container (white, frosted tupperware basically) is what I currently use but if I ever had a few bucks to spend freely on the DC I'd buy a much larger one so multiple kids could use it at onces as my kids love it!

ABCDaycareMN 12:37 AM 03-02-2013
http://www.honorrollsupply.com/colle...bo-soft-blocks

This is what I would get! Jumbo soft blocks. And a thick mat and possibly a slide
ABCDaycareMN 12:39 AM 03-02-2013
http://www.honorrollsupply.com/colle...ne-tunnel-maze

Or this!!!
LoraJenkins 05:55 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
Do you already have all the toys, pack n plays/nap cots, diaper changing stations, tables/chairs for art/food? I would love to have that much money to put towards my daycare!
Yes, I do already have pretty much everything. I have been a provider for 20+ years and have slowly added over the years.

Everyone has such great ideas! I think I am going to just keep saving and slowly buy new educational items. I don't have a lot of items for my centers so this is what I am going to work on. Especially items like counting bears, lace up boards, dress up costumes, etc. I only care for ages 5 and under so this may be what I need. Oh, and a new dishwasher....mine is 15 years old. One with a sanitize option. Thank you to everyone for such great ideas....you have really gotten me thinking!
NeedaVaca 05:59 AM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I got mine from craigslist for $200! Check there often and I bet you can find one
MNMum 04:01 PM 03-02-2013
Rope lights and an upside down Ikea trofast container (white, frosted tupperware basically) is what I currently use but if I ever had a few bucks to spend freely on the DC I'd buy a much larger one so multiple kids could use it at onces as my kids love it!

Great idea, all I need is the rope light!
KnoxMom 04:12 PM 03-02-2013

I've been trying to find a DIY way for a lightbox/table as well. Awesome idea!!
ABCDaycareMN 04:25 PM 03-02-2013

Where do you buy the little shape tiles?
Lyss 06:55 PM 03-02-2013
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
Where do you buy the little shape tiles?
I got mine at goodwill, I found a 3 pack (150 total) in the craft section for 1.99!

They are exactly the same as these: http://amzn.com/B000F8R5MI ($2.95)
mamac 07:48 PM 03-02-2013
I don't know what Discount School Supply charges for their mirrors, but try looking locally for a plastic fabricator. I have a 3' x 4' mirror that cost me only $30 from a place that is only a few miles from my home. It came as just the plastic panel so once we glued it to the wall we added some door casing to frame it and it looks great. The kids love it.
Indianadaycare 07:42 PM 04-10-2014
I have been looking forever for affordable acrylic mirrors for my new in home daycare. I finally found some at Home Depot! I was shocked at how much less they cost.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...-202509287-_-N
Indianadaycare 08:02 PM 04-10-2014
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
http://www.honorrollsupply.com/colle...bo-soft-blocks

This is what I would get! Jumbo soft blocks. And a thick mat and possibly a slide
These are a nice alternative to the expensive foam building blocks. On sale for $25, these provided hours and HOURS of creative fun for my four kids growing up. Now as adults, they love sharing memories of playing "house" using these blocks to create separate rooms in their pretend house. If I had the room, I'd buy them for my daycare. Maybe I will anyway!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...=prodCrossSell
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 04-11-2014
If I had an extra grand right now, just to spend on daycare, I'd buy materials for turning my outside play area into more of a natural play area. OR more manipulatives. My dcks love those and it's always good for half an hour of focused quieter time spent together.
coolconfidentme 06:06 AM 04-11-2014
#5 red!
Kimskiddos 07:15 AM 04-11-2014
If I had $1000. I would put a toilet and sink in my laundry room (it's connected to my playroom) for dc use. They have to basically go through my house to get to the bathroom and the hallway wall is ALWAYS dirty from little hands and bodies.
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 04-11-2014
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
I have managed to save up a grand since the beginning of the year and am looking to put it towards my daycare. I am setting up a new daycare room and have purchased everything I can think of already as far as storage. I have purchased all of my playground equipment ....just have to clear the yard & set it up. So...I am at a loss as what to do with the $. If you had the grand...what would you buy. I want to invest the money the best way possible.
Since this thread is a year old...what's the update?

What did you end up doing with the $1000?
daycare 08:39 AM 04-11-2014
hahahah you caught that too.. I was wondering who was going to catch it. Funny because I almost posted until I read one of the other posters posting date.....
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 04-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
hahahah you caught that too.. I was wondering who was going to catch it. Funny because I almost posted until I read one of the other posters posting date.....

Seems there is a lot of old posts being regurgitated lately.

I usually try not to say anything because the info might still be useful but if I see someone quote someone who is no longer on the board, I will speak up or if the original poster is still here, ask for an update.
MotherNature 11:31 AM 04-11-2014
hmm-now I'm curous what op did w/it too. Personally, I'd pay to get our tiny yard tilled and sodded. We rent and the previous tenant drove up to the back door. It's all hard-packed. We've seeded 3 times, and it just washes away. It also brings up glass and other fun debris. EThere's a 5 ft strip down the middle of the yard w/ nothing in it. We're looking to buy a house within a year, but after 3 yrs of living here, I'd like to enjoy my backyard, whether I have dck or not.
Reply Up