Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do If A Daycare Parent...
Unregistered 11:50 AM 05-21-2014
What would you do if you found out a current daycare parent was looking on the internet for bad reviews or dirt on your daycare or about you??
Shell 11:52 AM 05-21-2014
How did you find out? I would term, sounds like they are trying to pull something, get you in trouble for something. Do they have any reason to be doing this?
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 05-21-2014
Point her in the direction she wants to go.

I had a DCM tell me just last week that she was trying to Google me.

I just gave her my website address and the DHS website that lists any citations I might have, which are none.

I don't care if DCP's want to "research" me. I have nothing to hide.

As a matter of fact, I'd probably have a hard time with a parent that didn't do their homework first.

I am caring for their child so I do think they have that right.
drseuss 11:54 AM 05-21-2014
How long have you had this family? Hard to answer the question without more background info.

Can you be forthright with them and ask them if they have concerns that you could address?
Mister Sir Husband 11:58 AM 05-21-2014
Prolly not too much... In my case anyways, if someone wants to blow a few hours snooping around on line for past discrepancys in my life, well then have a good time with that. The best they could really do is search public records on me, and we'll ok, it's a public record. Nothing I can do about it anyways so I'm not gonna waste time worrying about it.

Or.. plan b. Plant something truly ridiculous somewhere that they will find it a.d have a laugh about it when they approach you about it..
drseuss 12:06 PM 05-21-2014
If you don't have any dirt or bad reviews, you don't need to worry. If I were a parent considering a daycare I'd be googling the crap out of the prospective provider. If this is a longtime family, did something specific prompt this?
Naptime yet? 12:37 PM 05-21-2014
One family told me they googled me before they started. I laughed because I had googled myself, so I knew what would come up (I'm not on any social media sites, though).

I also tell my parents where they can find all inspection reports, that's public knowledge. And I display my reports, even though they don't read them.

Unfortunately not much seems to be private nowadays, it's just the world we live in...
Second Home 12:53 PM 05-21-2014
Am I the only one who went and googled their name after reading this thread ?
BumbleBee 01:10 PM 05-21-2014
Considering I google all potential dcp's-I really don't have a problem with it. I've googled businesses before when getting an estimate for work done. To me, it's no different. If we want to be seen as running a business, well, we need to 1. Act like we run a business, 2. Run it like a business, 3. Take whatever pros and cons go with running a business. If you don't want people googling your daycare, don't have a daycare.
TwinKristi 01:16 PM 05-21-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Considering I google all potential dcp's-I really don't have a problem with it. I've googled businesses before when getting an estimate for work done. To me, it's no different. If we want to be seen as running a business, well, we need to 1. Act like we run a business, 2. Run it like a business, 3. Take whatever pros and cons go with running a business. If you don't want people googling your daycare, don't have a daycare.
I google almost all my parents beforehand and search them up on Facebook.
sharlan 01:30 PM 05-21-2014
I wouldn't care, wouldn't offend me. I'm pretty close to an open book and will provide whatever info the parent asks for.
craftymissbeth 01:33 PM 05-21-2014
I've googled and looked up all of my families on Facebook. I hope they'd do the same for me considering I have their child more than they do in most cases.
CraftyMom 08:23 PM 05-21-2014
I think most of us wouldn't have an issue with a NEW client looking for info BEFORE coming.

This seems to be a current family, correct? So I would be questioning why they are looking for dirt NOW. Did something happen, or do they think something happened? I would be wondering about their sudden interest
playground1 10:40 PM 05-21-2014

coolconfidentme 04:20 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Am I the only one who went and googled their name after reading this thread ?
I did, lol. I found running stuff. Even did an image search.., same thing. HAHA!
Crazy8 09:56 AM 05-22-2014
wouldn't care… they wouldn't find anything out of the ordinary. I google people as soon as they contact me for an interview, can often get a good idea before they even come if they are a family that will mesh with my program.
Shell 09:59 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I think most of us wouldn't have an issue with a NEW client looking for info BEFORE coming.

This seems to be a current family, correct? So I would be questioning why they are looking for dirt NOW. Did something happen, or do they think something happened? I would be wondering about their sudden interest
This is exactly the vibe I got from reading this the first time. I guess we haven't heard back from the OP yet.
Texasjeepgirl 10:19 AM 05-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Point her in the direction she wants to go.

I had a DCM tell me just last week that she was trying to Google me.

I just gave her my website address and the DHS website that lists any citations I might have, which are none.

I don't care if DCP's want to "research" me. I have nothing to hide.

As a matter of fact, I'd probably have a hard time with a parent that didn't do their homework first.

I am caring for their child so I do think they have that right.
AGREE... SAME for me
cheerfuldom 10:56 AM 05-22-2014
I google potential families. I also go over their social media comments to see what pics they post and what comments they say about schools, daycares, their job, and parenthood. You can learn A LOT on Facebook or other mom forums or Twitter. Don't want complainers, partiers, super helicopter AP moms or people that never mention their kids at all. Yes I am judging people. The last family I took against my better judgment were exactly what they seemed on FB......constantly traveling and hoisting their accessory child off on someone else, mom too busy tanning and extreme dieting to spend much time at all with her child. She wanted a daycare provider to feed her child every meal, keep long hours (10 to 12 per day), provide special treatment on birthdays on such, send mom lots of pics.....basically be the mother for her child but let her dictate all the details so she could have the fun of motherhood from afar. They did not last long here, one week to be exact.
Reply Up