Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
DS

Default Minimum Wage and Average Daycare Prices

How much is minimum wage in your state and how much do you charge per hour (on average for all ages)?
I've read that the average is around 30% of minimum wage.
I'm trying to figure out how much to up my hourly charge when the minimum wage goes up.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

Never heard that before. For my area, I think that's VERY accurate. I charge 25 cents per hour more than 30% of minimum wage for my state (I charge weekly, but it would break down to that hourly).
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I never heard of that either.

I just calculated what I needed to earn to make this worth it.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Definitely more than 30%, but I live in LA where housing costs like 50% of your wage. 10 dollars is now minimum wage here too. At lowest I charge 150/wk for a preschooler (40 more for a kid in diapers, and 80 more for an infant).
Old 02-17-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NillaWafers View Post
10 dollars is now minimum wage here
Ours is $5.15. We are supposed to be mandated to use the federal $7.25, but the list of exceptions is quite creative (ex. $4.25 if you are under 20 years of age ) .
Old 02-17-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
I never heard of that either.

I just calculated what I needed to earn to make this worth it.
Same here.

Minimum wage in MN is listed at $9.00 per/hour but can be anywhere between $7.25 and $10.00 depending on what type of job (or "exceptions" apply).

I have NO idea how much any of my clients earn or if they work in minimum wage jobs or not. I ONLY care about what I need to earn each week/month and set my rates accordingly.

I've never set or raised or lowered my rates based on what the minimum or payable wage is in my area.

I'm not sure that is an accurate or reliable way to do it.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I'm not sure that is an accurate or reliable way to do it.
Agreed. I could not even buy the food for that number.... Zero chance I could meet minimum "Quality" standards.

Yikes.

Hope that will not be the new trend.

Did you notice that childcare providers are one of the exceptions to fair pay as well.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Daycare.com Member

Cat Herder, do you mean min wage is 5 something an hour in your state ? That's insane ! Are there any employers who only pay that ?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Songs View Post
Cat Herder, do you mean min wage is 5 something an hour in your state ? That's insane ! Are there any employers who only pay that ?
Absolutely!! "Service" industry, agricultural industry (much broader than you think) public service, "informal" employers (us), seasonal, subcontractors,. etc....

If they can show you are a full time student, in addition to working full time, they only have to pay you 85% of minimum wage as well.

It hit my DD pretty hard.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Songs View Post
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx

Check out Montana and Oklahoma ($2.00)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...age-chart.aspx

Check out Montana and Oklahoma ($2.00)
I know, right

I sent a different chart to your FB pm. (easier than here... play dough out and all.... )
Old 02-17-2016, 12:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

You are talking about 30% per child right, not for the group. If so, my normal rate is slightly below that. I have a higher rate for those needing more than 8.5 hours. That rate is a bit over 30%. I am higher than the centers in my town.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:00 PM
DS

For instance:
Minimum wage is 9.25, I just happen to charge $3/hour. If I watch the max I allow I'm at $17/hour. If minimum wage goes up to $13.75 I will charge more... just trying to figure it out
Old 02-17-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblegum View Post
For instance:
Minimum wage is 9.25, I just happen to charge $3/hour. If I watch the max I allow I'm at $17/hour. If minimum wage goes up to $13.75 I will charge more... just trying to figure it out
OK, I see what you did there.

I immediately went to fed min wage = $290.wk (published on the workers rights poster ) 30% of that as tuition = me out of business.

Maybe there is something to this. Are they teaching this in training, now?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
OK, I see what you did there.

I immediately went to fed min wage = $290.wk (published on the workers rights poster ) 30% of that as tuition = me out of business.

Maybe there is something to this. Are they teaching this in training, now?
Not that I know of. I've just been thinking about it. I saw a news article today and wanted to make a game plan ☺
Old 02-17-2016, 04:05 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I know, right

I sent a different chart to your FB pm. (easier than here... play dough out and all.... )
At least you have $2 per hr... TN doesn't have a minimum wage lol. Based off minimum wage for Federal, I'm at 30% if I base it off the 50 hrs week I contract each parent without OT pay. I'm limited to 4 kids, so still not making a great wage.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

How sad for all people making minimum wage.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:53 AM
thrivingchildcare.com

I agree. I'm in Cali and the lowest I charge is $3 which is 30% of the $10 minimum. The top would be for infants for which I charge @$5.56/hr.

I actually prepare a tuition worksheet for prospective clients so that they can see just how little they are paying for the care of their precious child. It actually helps me too, by making me aware of what I'm bringing in for an enrollment spot and why I can't reduce my rates (b/c believe me they ask).

If you would like to see it, I would be happy to share. Just send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM
DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom View Post
I agree. I'm in Cali and the lowest I charge is $3 which is 30% of the $10 minimum. The top would be for infants for which I charge @$5.56/hr.

I actually prepare a tuition worksheet for prospective clients so that they can see just how little they are paying for the care of their precious child. It actually helps me too, by making me aware of what I'm bringing in for an enrollment spot and why I can't reduce my rates (b/c believe me they ask).

If you would like to see it, I would be happy to share. Just send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.
For some reason its not working.... can you try to send me one and I'll reply?

Tags
cost of child care, cost of supplies, minimum wage, tuition breakdown, wages