Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Am I overreacting?

I just had a new kiddo start and his parents knowingly brought him on his first day sick!* Every kid in my care is now sick. I'm feeling that the family has already disregarded my policies which I go over heavily in the interview and its in my handbook. I'm considering terming the family, am I overreacting?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

How sick was he? Did you keep him all day? Did you notice he was sick when he came in? I would have either turned him away at the door or called them for pick up as soon as I realized he was sick - as long as it was an illness I exclude for. If it was just a runny nose or something I don't exclude for I wouldn't be too upset by it.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
How sick was he? Did you keep him all day? Did you notice he was sick when he came in? I would have either turned him away at the door or called them for pick up as soon as I realized he was sick - as long as it was an illness I exclude for. If it was just a runny nose or something I don't exclude for I wouldn't be too upset by it.
It was his first day so he was quiet and just sat and sucked his thumb for most of the day. Since I didn't know him, I wasn't sure he was sick. Parents kept him home the next two days, but I found out that they knew on Saturday that he was sick and they still brought him on Monday.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:38 PM
Family Childcare Home

If they're that new I'd take into consideration whether or not you emphasized the importance of not bringing a sick child to daycare as well as whether the parents have experience with daycare or not.

If you went over your policies with them especially your illness policy then I'd be pretty peeved. If this is their first time experiencing daycare then I'd be inclined to talk to them about it, stress the fact that they CANNOT bring a sick child to daycare EVER, and give them a written warning. If they have experience with daycare before then I don't think I'd be so willing to work with them.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
If they're that new I'd take into consideration whether or not you emphasized the importance of not bringing a sick child to daycare as well as whether the parents have experience with daycare or not.

If you went over your policies with them especially your illness policy then I'd be pretty peeved. If this is their first time experiencing daycare then I'd be inclined to talk to them about it, stress the fact that they CANNOT bring a sick child to daycare EVER, and give them a written warning. If they have experience with daycare before then I don't think I'd be so willing to work with them.
They were termed from their last provider
Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaone View Post
They were termed from their last provider
This tells me that they probably pushed the rules and limits at the last provider and now they're YOUR headache.

If it were me I would show them the door. Maybe third times a charm?
Old 10-16-2016, 05:46 AM
starting daycare someday

Sounds like they are expecting a nanny or babysitter at daycare rates. I would tell them to find a nanny.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:58 AM

Angry

Personally for me, mutual respect and open communication are a priority verses filling a space/keeping a family.

I'd terminate care immediately.