Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Normal? - Nap 3 Hours in the Dark
pgarozzo 04:02 PM 11-06-2008
AT my daughters daycare the nap time is from 12:00 to 3:00 they also start it earlier. My daughter who just turned two has to lay there in the dark for 3 hours, whether she naps or not. is this legal? help
lilbiddapopcorn 08:28 PM 11-06-2008
Good grief! It's one thing if a kid sleeps that long on their own it's quite another to force them to lay down for 3 hours! That's too long...But maybe your daycare provider has other children who just take long naps. I would try talking to him/her about it first, and just say you're not comfortable with your daughter being forced to lay down that long. In fact any time there's a problem I would suggest talking about it first...if no one knows it bothers you they can't do anything to fix it.
Ms.Sue 04:54 PM 11-08-2008
Our children have nap from 12:30 to 3:30 ----Now, in reality, they don't fall asleep until around 1pm and wake up from 2:30 to 3:00.
We do teach our child to lay on their mats for a specific amout of time, small children must have naps - and most of ours are really tired by the time naptime comes around. But, if they are not asleep they are alllowed play 'quietly' or read a book or a toy magazine. The one thing they really learn is self control. If a small child can lay on a map and be quiet and follow the rules -- that is fantastic! Because it means, she is respecting adult authority, and learning to develop her coping skills.
TTOTS 05:12 AM 11-10-2008
In my daycare our nap time is from 12-2pm. Sometimes the children will sleep longer and I am not going to wake them, but I don't force them either. There are days when none of them nap, but they are quiet for at least the 2 hours. That is my down time to catch up. So as far as being legal who knows I believe it is each persons choice.
candlegal 08:10 PM 11-10-2008
Hi I do daycare in my home and we have nap time from about 1:15 or 1:30 to 3:30. All my kids are under 3yrs. It will vary depending on the activities of the day. Kids always seem to be more tired on Mondays, I usually have to wake them up. Children NEED more sleep, most of them are getting up at 6am or sometimes earlier. I have parents telling me to lay them down earlier. I don't force them either, you can't "force" a child to sleep. But they don't fall asleep right away, you gotta figure it takes them anywhere from 10 to 30 min. to fall asleep. Daycare providers need to have a break too. Your daughter is only 2yrs, she needs those naps, she needs to at least have quiet time. Try to work positively with your daycare provider. All daycares: home and centers have nap time until the child goes to kindergarten, if no nap, then quiet time is recommended. You look up on the internet or ask your pediatrition how much sleep a 2yr old requires, I think you will be surprised! Good Luck!
littlehandsdaycare 09:49 AM 11-11-2008
Some states do require that the kids have some type of quiet time during the day. It is not supposed to be that long. Like here in GA DHR requires quiet/nap time to be atleast 2 hours.
Unregistered 01:42 PM 12-04-2008
My quiet time is for the same duration. Everyone laying down for 3 hours is not what happens though. For the younger kids, once they take a nap, they can get up and do quiet activities. Those who do not nap do not have to lay down, but can do quiet activities. There is this broad time span so that those who do nap do not feel rushed to nap, and also so the older kids can learn to play quietly for a while. I put on a movie. Books, coloring, working in our notebooks, my playing with the babies when they aren't sleeping all part of our quiet time.
MissLisa 10:51 PM 12-06-2008
It is legal IF it is part of their scheduled routing and they are NOT physically forcing them to lay down. This should be noted in their parent handbook or part of the orientation to the day care.
As for it being in the dark... I would not appreciate them laying in the dark... I would approach them about some night lights or a small light. I Don't know that 3 hours is necessay... it all depends on the child. We play movies during "QUIET TIME". They are not forced to nap... but they have a movie to watch. They have to lay quietly for about 30 minutes to allow those to fall asleep that want to..and then we offer them a book for on their cot... and IF they are just totally disrupting and the parent insists they don't lay down we give them coloring pages at the table. It is important to adhere to their routine but you must remain flexible as well because all kids and parents are different. And each new day brings new challenges... Do they call it NAP time or "quiet time"? As a day care owner I understand the purpose behind the quiet time - for our center it is important not only for rest but for preparation for Kindergarten because it helps to prepare them for the long day ... and being quiet .... and following directions.... (of course we have all day Kindergarten) so they need to maintain the structure for preparation. BUT... age two... it should be rest time...and most little ones like the nap... but they should have a book or at a table with a coloring page.
aushhalo 10:03 PM 02-26-2009
I own a daycare in Texas and our children are on their mats at 12pm and get up at 2:30. Naptime is NEVER an issue with my center and our enrollment is about 70 children. Kids NEED naps and caregivers need a break. This is when i get my lessons, paperwork, lunch, etc. We NEVER use the television during naptime and i have been to training seminars where providers complain about naptime and it has never been a big deal. Our kids have their own mat and blanket and our kids are in a routine every day. They are all asleep by 12:15-12:30 and most of them sleep until we wake them up. If they do wake up, they lay quietly on their mats. We have the lights off, but, it is daylight outside, so it is still perfectly light inside the center. These kids are in daycare from 10-11 hours per day. I just don't see the big deal with providing "movies, books, papers, etc." It doesn't hurt a child to lie on a mat for 2 1/2 hours. It makes for a very happy child in the afternoons. Our children are NEVER forced to lay down, they just know that is what we do at our daycare.
Unregistered 11:20 AM 01-06-2010
Depends upon where u live, but where I live provincial rules state that we allow for 1 hour of rest (sleep or not), but after that, they should be provided with quiet activities.
Former Teacher 03:08 PM 01-06-2010
In TX they longest that a child can nap is 3 hours so yes technically it is legal. Also the nap must be after the noon meal (lunch)

However, if after 30 mins. the child is still awake they must be given quiet activities. This also includes infants. Infants can not be in a crib longer than 30 mins awake.
momma2girls 03:15 PM 01-06-2010
My quiet/nap time is from 1:00-3:30, it may take some children 1/2 to fall asleep,so technically 2 hrs. This is all done without the tv on. When each of them wake up, they are taught to lay quietly til I come and get them for snack time at 3:30.
mac60 03:41 PM 01-06-2010
Our naptime is from 1 to 3:30, or whenever they wake up after that. They are never asleep at 1. If they wake up before 3:30, they must lay there quietly and not disturb others. As far as being in the dark, unless they are in a room with no windows, it is hard to believe that nothing can be seen. There is no way to make my family room dark enough for nothing to be seen.
At age 2, she should be taking a good nap in the afternoon.

How do you know it is as dark as you are suggesting?
How do you know she isn't sleeping any of this time? Just wondering.
melissa ann 03:46 PM 01-06-2010
Naps for us starts about noon. I let them sleep however long they want. I have kids 9 mos, 2 almost 3 yrs and a 4 yr old. My daughter is 5 and sometimes she will take a nap as well. The kids in my care are here 11 hours, starting at 6am so by noon they are ready to nap. My son is one of the 2 that is almost 3. Sometimes they sleep until 1 other times its 2:30-3:00. I figure if they are still sleeping then they need it. Now, the 9 mo old takes a morning nap and an afternoon nap when he' s ready. I do have the kids lay down for about 30 min or so while I eat lunch, wash dishes and other clean up things. Sometimes the 4 yr old will sleep when he gets here in the morning and then won't nap in the afternoon. IT's no big deal to me. but he knows he needs to lay down and rest while I do my work. After which he may get up and color, do a puzzle or we will play a game.
originalkat 07:14 PM 01-06-2010
Our nap time is from 1-3pm. After lunch(12:30) the kids start going to the bathroom and getting settled. I put on nap music which sets the routine. The room they nap in is very light (7 windows) and I dont have blinds on them yet. I would prefer it be dark in there, of course, it is daylight so it wouldnt be pitch black. I think a darkened room helps them relax. All the kids are asleep by 1pm and usually wake up around 3 to 3:30pm. So you could say our whole routine is 3 hours but they usually dont sleep that whole time.
jen 07:41 AM 01-07-2010
I close the curtains and the blinds when my kids nap...It is daytime so it isn't completely dark, but are you looking for her to leave a light on? How dark can it be in the middle of the day? Are there windows?

As for the nap time, Personally, I have kids lie down between 12:30 and 3.

Is this a center or an in-home provider? Have you discussed it with the director/provider? As always, if you don't agree with the policies of the provider LEAVE and find one which better fits your beliefs.

If you have questions about "legality" of the policies call the daycare licensure.
AmandasFCC 12:18 PM 01-07-2010
My home daycare kids lie down from 12:45ish-2:45. They usually start waking up by 2:30, but none of them WANT to get off the cots. If they are CAPABLE of being quiet and not disturbing the others, they can have a quiet activity ON THEIR COT. If not, they continue to lie down.

Like others have said, this generally isn't an issue though. The kids play very actively here and are exhausted by the time nap rolls around. I only have one 4 year old who doesn't nap.
momma2girls 12:22 PM 01-07-2010
I have them nap or at least take a rest period with the others til they are in Kindergarten. They do not have to sleep, but they now they have to lay down with the rest and be quiet, so they sleep. Usually everyone sleeps here. THe older children on days off or in the summer have quiet time as well. They will read for 1/2 hr. quietly on their own, then after that they can lay quietly and watch movies, til quiet time is over. This is to ensure the younger ones, babies, can have their naps as well. This works very well.
Carole's Daycare 08:47 AM 01-13-2010
Here we have nap from about 12:30 to 2:30-lights are off but its not "dark" and I have music playing. They usually fall asleep by 12:45/1:00. They wake up whenever, but are expected to stay quiet and respect the other children's need to rest until they wake up. If they dont all wake up on their own I wake them up one/two at a time so all are done in the bathroom by 2:45 since my school agers show up by 2:55. Some kids are here 10-12 hs, and they NEED that rest. 2 hs is absolutely necessary. If kids are fighting nap and not falling asleep til close to 1:00, its not unreasonable, especially if the other children are asleep.
Unregistered 07:47 PM 10-13-2010
I had this problem when I used a daycare in NJ. They are allowed to have 2 hours for naptime. My daughter was 3 and I knew did not nap until about 2.00pm each day (their naps went from 12 - 2pm!) My daughter hated it and would tell me that she had to lie there and wasn't allowed to get up. I asked the teacher who insisted she fell asleep. My daughter told me that she got shouted at if she had her eyes open so would pretend to be a sleep LOL Unfortunately, when it comes to kids against adults - guess whose story wins out? I asked why they weren't allowed to look at books, if did not nap and got some long winded excuse. Bottom line - this is when the staff take their breaks and get stuff done, so they will fight every which way to keep this time. I found out the better childcares were more reasonable and did allow those that did not nap to look at books, color, etc. and just be quiet. I pulled my child out of the one that mandated naps. You know your daughter best - go with your gut. All kids don't sleep at the same time, for same length of time, any daycare staff that says they do are lying.
SunflowerMama 04:43 AM 10-14-2010
All of my kids nap from 12:30/1 until 3:30/4. They are usually all asleep by 1:15 at the latest and my first usually gets up around 3p and I wake my last 2 at 4p every day.

They range from 12 months to 4 1/2 and they all sleep at least 2.5 hours each. My 4 year olds sleep the longest...I wake them at 4p.

They are in a room with windows but I darken them (definitely still light enough to see) and I have sleepy nap music.
PAMommy1228 07:58 AM 10-14-2010
I do from 12:30 until 315 ish. Sometimes they go down earlier because some of them I cannot keep awake. Some of them, especially the ones that I have problems, it takes almost a 1/2 hour-45 minutes to get them asleep. I don't force them, but I have to sit there. For the older kids, at the request of the parents they would like them to have a movie on, so they go into another room adjacent to the darker nap room and watch a movie quietly. I only do this for the kids that the parents request and they need to be able to follow the direction of laying on their mat and no playing because it's rest time. Otherwise they all lay in a darker room that is warmer, darker and more suitable for sleeping. When they wake up they can rest on their mat. This is what happened in my daughter's daycare center when she was a baby and I never thought anything of it.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:33 AM 10-14-2010
we nap from 1230 to 230. No dark room, I turn on easy listening station on att uverse. cover them and say night night. I dont darken or warm the room though.
tenderhearts 08:41 AM 10-14-2010
We have nap/quiet time from 1:00-3:15, some kids sleep longer some shorter. If they wake up before 3:15 they can come out and finish the movie quietly until quiet time is over. If a child doesn't fall asleep (depending on age) by 45 min. of laying there I let them go and watch the movie.
QualiTcare 08:00 PM 10-14-2010
if it's from 12 to 3 and they also start it early, that's entirely too long. a daycare i used to work for and my children went to had a scheduled nap time of 12:30-2:30, but they'd always start putting them down at 12 - and it was more like 3 when they started getting them up. it wasn't in a dark room though. i think that makes a huuuge difference.

i did a tour at a daycare and it happened to be during naptime. the room the kids were napping in was so dark, i couldn't even see the kids or the teachers when i looked in. that's HORRIBLE. if a kid isn't napping, or if they wake up early - they should be able to look at a book or color on their mat - and they OBVIOUSLY aren't doing that in a pitch black room.
Unregistered 01:24 PM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Ms.Sue:
Our children have nap from 12:30 to 3:30 ----Now, in reality, they don't fall asleep until around 1pm and wake up from 2:30 to 3:00.
We do teach our child to lay on their mats for a specific amout of time, small children must have naps - and most of ours are really tired by the time naptime comes around. But, if they are not asleep they are alllowed play 'quietly' or read a book or a toy magazine. The one thing they really learn is self control. If a small child can lay on a map and be quiet and follow the rules -- that is fantastic! Because it means, she is respecting adult authority, and learning to develop her coping skills.
you shouldnt be around kids, this is an old post so i hope by now youve found another career, coping skills? really?.....great way to justify daycare workers sitting on their butts for three hours texting and checking facebook. Hey you know what else would help with for authority and coping skills? put em in a 2x2 box for a while....they learn resilience, and you get to chill and count your extortion money...once thats over toss in another dvd and thats the day folks!
spud912 02:02 PM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
you shouldnt be around kids, this is an old post so i hope by now youve found another career, coping skills? really?.....great way to justify daycare workers sitting on their butts for three hours texting and checking facebook. Hey you know what else would help with for authority and coping skills? put em in a 2x2 box for a while....they learn resilience, and you get to chill and count your extortion money...once thats over toss in another dvd and thats the day folks!

Thanks for the afternoon funny!! I have to get back to counting my extortion money now.

Cradle2crayons 02:16 PM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:

Thanks for the afternoon funny!! I have to get back to counting my extortion money now.
Geesh I must be horrible at extortion... Because I don't have enough left to even count!! What am I doing wrong?
AmyKidsCo 03:20 PM 07-10-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My kids love their 2x2 boxes. They're lined up in the back room, stacked 3 high. Every week we rotate who gets to be on top, in the middle, and on the bottom.

Just for the record - I'm KIDDING!!!!
daycare 03:24 PM 07-10-2014
this made me laugh too...gosh this is an old post.
jokalima 04:34 PM 07-10-2014
Our nap time is from 12:30 to 3:00/3:15 and I do ask for them to stay on beds and quiet. Sometimes I let them get up, but I end up regreting it because my house is small and all of them will wake up because of the noise. I have a school age child that is here for the summer, my rule with her is the same, you have to "rest" and stay quiet. If she wants a book she can have it or anything that keeps her quiet, most of the time she will go to sleep. If someone has a problem with the lenght of our nap time then they are not a good fit for us. That is my own down time, I need to rest a recharge for the afternoon.
Tags:nap, napping, naps, sleep, sleep - length, sleep time
Reply Up