Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default As Mad as I Could Possibly Be...

On Friday, I leave for England. I have not been home for 34 very long years. I have not seen my only brother for 34 years.

All my daycare parents know this. they also know my sick policy.

Today, DCB complains he feels ill and throws up. He then tells me he threw up all over the couch last night.

I had a hard time getting hold of either of his parents, but after about 30 mins, she texts and says her mother is coming to get him. Grandma lives another 30 mins away.

I am so seething mad, I am ready to term, even though I adore the kid.

I can deal with flying across the world with a cold etc.....but I can't stand in line at the airport, or fly 9+ hours hurling my guts up. I can't go if I'm sick. Non refundable....$1600.

How can some people be so selfish. there is a good chance he contaminated all the kids as well as me. Right before Christmas.

UGH!!!! All I can do is clean and disinfect any service I can...spray Lysol in the air and dip myself in bleach.....and hope.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

how incredibly selfish.... crossingnfingers and toes that it does spread before your trip... I would have a really hard time not terming!!
Old 12-16-2019, 01:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

so sorry! Clients can be so horribly selfish. I am sending healthy wishes your way! Make sure you let them know he told you he was throwing up last night because they definitely crossed the line. I'm so nervous this crap will happen to me prior to labor. I'm pregnant and really hoping this baby goes close to my due date but neither of my other two did which landed us in NICU. If I'm sick and my newborn is in NICU I won't be able to see my baby. They still dropped their sick kids off days before my husband's open heart surgery last year so I can't imagine they'll be considerate this time around either.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:21 PM

Oh no!! I am sorry Meeko!

I am praying and crossing my fingers and toes that you do not get sick!

Please please make sure to let this mother know how selfish and inconsiderate she was..... even if it'll do nothing other than make you feel better.

SMH at some of the behavior of parents I have read lately.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Ugh!!

Iíll also pray and cross everything that you and all the kids stay well!
Old 12-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

That's awful! I really hope you don't get it!
Old 12-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would lose my mind. I was in a similar situation back in August. Had a family vacation planned for months. I lucked out and did not get sick. I hope you don't get sick! If a parent knowingly disrespects my policy I will term. I am so done with it. Prayers to you
Old 12-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Since my mother canceled two fully paid for trips to Italy, I now take out insurance on my trips. Something to consider next time.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:29 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'd be upset if a day care family deliberately put me and my family at risk for the stomach bug. It's one thing if a child gets sick unexpectedly while at day care but a whole other thing when the parents knew he had vomited yesterday at home and brought him to day care anyway. Factor in the trip to London and I'd be absolutely livid! I hope you manage to stay well and can enjoy your trip back home.

Not sure if I should suggest this but just in case it might help... my dd takes activated charcoal tablets to avoid getting sick anytime the stomach bug comes into our household. If you google it, you'll see that some people say it works; others say it doesn't but my dd seems to feel it works for her. For the past 6 years, she hasn't come down with the stomach bug even when everyone else in the house has come down sick with it.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

Antiviral drugs after exposure CAN prevent norovirus...I don't know if those antivirals that were tested are on the market yet, but it is sure worth a call to your doctor to ask!
Old 12-17-2019, 03:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Even if you didn't have this trip planned, that dcf crossed the line by sending a sick kid to dc. I'd tell them they're on probation and if it ever happens again, they're history, immediately.

I hope nobody else gets it!!! And your trip goes without a hitch!!!

And yes, as someone else mentioned, I'd make it known to the parents just how selfish and thoughtless their actions were, not just to you all but to their ds as well. Do they honestly think a sick child WANTS to be in dc??
Old 12-17-2019, 08:00 AM

How are you feeling? How is DCB today?
Old 12-17-2019, 09:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

I always take additional insurance so my tickets are fully refundable. Also, I have clearly outlined it in my Handbook that stuff like this is a ground for immediate termination. I make sure to go over health policy with all families I welcome to my house prior to their start. I follow up couple of times during the year and remind everyone of our health policy 2x year when seasons change and kids are more prone to getting sick. This way no one is surprised if they get termed due to health policy violation. I have to say since 4 years ago when I first started with more stringent approach to health policy we haven't had anything major happening here, cough is just about the worst we get since everyone is extra careful making sure their kids are clean and illnesses free before they bring them in so they won't get termed.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:27 PM

If it helps I have had two different kids on two different years get gastro right before my Christmas break (including this Year) and no one else got it! I bleached some of the toys but by the time you find out it is generally too late anyway!

Praying it passes you by and you enjoy your trip the England!
Old 12-17-2019, 06:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Angry exclude for the entire week

Dear parent, Due to the blatant disregard of my policies, especially when you knew I was leaving for a very important trip, your child will be excluded for this rest of the week.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

How rude. I would term immediately. I need trust in our working relationship and if your kid pukes and you send him the next morning, trust is gone. Respect for me and my business is gone. If there is no consequence, the parent will try it again.

Hope you stay healthy!
Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

How are you feeling, Meeko? I've been thinking about you all week, hoping you get to make your trip!!
Old 12-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

Hope you are able to make your trip and that you stay well. The nerve of some people to bring your child to school or daycare when you know they are sick.

Tags
sick policy, vacation - europe