Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Problems With Daycare Parents
abcdaycaremom 07:39 AM 07-23-2012
Currently I have a problem with my daycare parents that's driving me a little nuts! Yes I have a policy but never thought I needed to spell this out. I recently took a week off for vacation ( the first one in 4 years!) and then needed a Friday off for a family reunion that I haven't seen family for almost 10 years. ( both unpaid) During this time off I had 80% of my parents contact me with things that I feel could have waited until Monday morning.

I do not know how to approach my parents with this. I need a vacation from job just as much as everyone else. I have posted business hours also. I am called an average of twice a day during my closed hours disturbing my time with my family and even have had to take daycare children with me for doctor appointments for my own child even after asking for time off. I do not feel like I am getting any time and parents just don't get it
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 07-23-2012
Welcome to the forum!

Your status has been upgraded so you can post freely

As for your issue, I would NOT be answering the phone and next time I would send a short note home with parents prior to any vacation or off days that says that if it is not an emergency do NOT call as a vacation or off day means NO work.

Dear Daycare parents

During my recent vacation, I was bombarded by phone calls from parents regarding child care and issues relating. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that from now on, during any vacations or days the child care is closed, I will not be accepting phone calls that relate to work.

You are free to leave a message on my voicemail or answering machine if it is an emergency and I will get back to you.

Thank you in advance as I am sure you all understand that a vacation means not having to think or deal with anything work related.

Sincerely,

Daycare Provider

kidscare 03:58 AM 07-25-2012
I think you should manage all your life in a time table and scheduled work. I am really happy about all that you are struggling. I have faced almost the same problem. I am a big fan of all persons who are fighting for their life and to get a better place.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:26 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by kidscare:
I think you should manage all your life in a time table and scheduled work. I am really happy about all that you are struggling. I have faced almost the same problem. I am a big fan of all persons who are fighting for their life and to get a better place.
HUH??????
Former Teacher 09:28 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
HUH??????
I agree...that's why I didn't approve of it. However I didn't want to delete it because it has been a long morning
youretooloud 10:58 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I agree...that's why I didn't approve of it. However I didn't want to delete it because it has been a long morning
That was great. I love to feel appreciated for fighting for my life, and managing my timetable.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 07-25-2012
HUH??????
I approved it but haven't upgraded the member into non-moderated status yet as I am wondering too.

However, there are no crazy links or odd IP address issues so I am thinking it may just be a language barrier as the member has another post in another thread that was relavent to the thread but also worded as if English may not be their first language.
Heidi 12:24 PM 07-25-2012
I speak fluent German (and English...mostly...lol), so I've messed with the Google translation programs and they are hilarious. It translates each word individually, but can't put things in context. This may be what happened. The poster may have translated the thread into her language, answered it in her language, then translated back into English and pasted it back to the thread.

By then, it's a bit of a gobbledy-gook!
DaisyMamma 05:54 PM 07-25-2012
HUH??????
That's exactly what I thought when iread if, lol
e.j. 11:33 AM 07-25-2012
Originally Posted by abcdaycaremom:
Currently I have a problem with my daycare parents that's driving me a little nuts! Yes I have a policy but never thought I needed to spell this out. I recently took a week off for vacation ( the first one in 4 years!) and then needed a Friday off for a family reunion that I haven't seen family for almost 10 years. ( both unpaid) During this time off I had 80% of my parents contact me with things that I feel could have waited until Monday morning.

I do not know how to approach my parents with this. I need a vacation from job just as much as everyone else. I have posted business hours also. I am called an average of twice a day during my closed hours disturbing my time with my family and even have had to take daycare children with me for doctor appointments for my own child even after asking for time off. I do not feel like I am getting any time and parents just don't get it
I had never had that happen to me until one week a few years ago. Not one but three of my dc moms called during a vacation week to ask non-urgent questions. One of them actually called me 3 times in as many days! I have a fair amount of patience but I have to say, their lack of consideration for my time off really ticked me off.

Ever since that week, I've learned to change the message on my answering machine and voicemail whenever I'm closed. "You've reached EJ's Day Care. We're on vacation this week but will reopen on (specify date). If you would like to leave a message, I will be returning calls by (usually the night before I'm due to reopen.) Seems to work; I haven't had anyone call me during vacation weeks since.
Tags:boundaries, calling during off hours, parent issues, parents - don't cooperate, provider vacation
Reply Up