Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>When Will It Be Beneficial...
Unregistered 05:13 PM 06-02-2020
How many kids enrolled make it beneficial to be on the USDA program?

I am starting up and only have one child enrolled. Not sure if that is worth the $--She is 6, she probably isn't eating that much, plus there are so many components involved in lunch.

Should I start now or wait until I have X amount of kids? (Knowing if I go back down I'll still be on the program.) Yes, I would be reimbursed some, but I may not have to spend so much to begin with.
Michael 09:32 PM 06-02-2020
Here are more threads on the USDA food program: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...a+food+program
Unregistered 12:02 AM 06-03-2020
Thanks, Michael. And thank you for correcting my title, I was cringing at my typo.

I did not see the answer I was looking for in the group of posts I saw.
Josiegirl 03:09 AM 06-03-2020
It might not be worth the time and effort now for the amount of money you'd get, but if enrolling more children is your goal, I say get it started now so you'll be familiar with the program. It can be a hassle but it also is a huge help when you get that check every month. Good luck!
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

I am starting up and only have one child enrolled. Not sure if that is worth the $--She is 6, she probably isn't eating that much, plus there are so many components involved in lunch.

Should I start now or wait until I have X amount of kids? (Knowing if I go back down I'll still be on the program.) Yes, I would be reimbursed some, but I may not have to spend so much to begin with.

You said there are so many components to lunch.

Aren't you already feeding her balanced meals?
If not, what types of snacks and meals are you serving?

The only way it wouldn't be worth it is if you are serving meals and snacks that are cheap, easy and more than likely unhealthy.

I'd check with your licensing department as well as some states require providers to serve meals that meet USDA requirements regardless of whether you sign on to a food program or not.
rosieteddy 07:31 AM 06-03-2020
I just took the meal allowance at tax time.Keep a count of days and meals fed.As each child starts you can add them.
TomCopeland 02:26 PM 06-03-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Start now! You are always better off by claiming on the Food Program. If you cared for one child and served one breakfast, one lunch and one snack each day you would get either $566 or $1,185 a year depending on whether you would receive the higher or lower reimbursement amount. You are still entitled to deduct your food expenses in the same way whether you are on the Food Program or not, so there is no reason not to get on it now!
AmyKidsCo 01:11 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You said there are so many components to lunch.

Aren't you already feeding her balanced meals?
If not, what types of snacks and meals are you serving?

The only way it wouldn't be worth it is if you are serving meals and snacks that are cheap, easy and more than likely unhealthy.

I'd check with your licensing department as well as some states require providers to serve meals that meet USDA requirements regardless of whether you sign on to a food program or not.
Agreed! In WI licensing requires the same components as the Food Program so it makes sense to do it because you've got to feed them the same food anyway.

When I first joined the food program we had to write every component in and color in the circles for each child, but now you can do it online it's MUCH faster and easier.
284878 09:45 PM 06-04-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It might not be worth the time and effort now for the amount of money you'd get, but if enrolling more children is your goal, I say get it started now so you'll be familiar with the program. It can be a hassle but it also is a huge help when you get that check every month. Good luck!
Yep what I was going to say.

If it helps, I use frozen veggies over canned. The taste better and are better portion controlled. I grab them on sale for $1 a large bag. I rotate the bags every day.
Fruit is fresh when in season, I buy extra when on sale and freeze it. Then use it in the off season or I will grab canned in juice mixed fruit.
I buy in bulk when I can and freeze.
If you add it all up, you can come out ahead.
Unregistered 08:35 AM 06-06-2020
Someone asked if I am feeding kids properly...yes, but I don't want to have to be pigeon holed into prepping so much food that isn't being eaten and having to worry if I have the exact number of oats or whatever. If I wanted to do only carrot sticks at lunch not carrot and apples. Or have it on hand if asked for more but not readily make it and have it out. Example, carrots. My daughter eats 2-3 baby carrots at lunch with her meal if she wanted more I would get some out of the fridge. But she never does-so why put it all out.
Or with apples, keep the whole on hand and cut slices as needed to prevent browning|waste. Or can I? I mean...I would offer it, it would be available...

Right now I was wanting to make home made granola bars as I have silicon molds. My kids would eat 1 bar, no doubt another small child would as well. But according to math I need 4 bars for 1 child for the grain component without having to add a second grain. Not worth it under usda. Non usda I would offer whatever food was in the house basically, we always have plenty. And we are healthy eaters.

I have worked in centers so many years and know what amount they eat from experience but when I did the serving at one before|after school age center I was a Director at I was not on USDA. I had to follow the guidelines because the other centers did USDA because of he population income but nobody checked on my site. The only thing I did not do was follow their portions-I knew what the kids ate and always had extra anyway-and I could not get in trouble as technically I was not on the program. I always served roughly the same amount. When I went to full day sites, I did admin but not serving or anything.
Cat Herder 05:14 AM 07-10-2020
I just claim my meal counts at the end of the year.
Mariposa 03:14 PM 07-10-2020
Thanks to all!

I am on the food program. It is different than when I was at a center-at a center my cook would have to submit the menu with corrections and list cubed vs sliced for cheese, if another class ate an alternative, etc. So strict!

I like the freezing fruit idea.
Tags:usda food program
Reply Up