Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"drop in" playdates before starting
TheGoodLife 08:34 PM 08-06-2014
So I never would do this before, but my new DCB who is contracted to start the 18th seems pretty shy from the 2 times DCM and him came by. Has been in Grandma's daycare all his life (18mos old) but she is quitting daycare.

Well, she wants to bring DCB here 2 times next week for about an hour each time- just to get him acclimated. Is this something you would charge your hourly rate for- since I would be caring for him- or would you just do it for free?
SignMeUp 08:40 PM 08-06-2014
I would do it for free, but I charge a pretty hefty enrollment fee. I decided to charge that fee to cover stuff like this, as well as the time I spend with families before they enroll or soon after. Most families end up using the time in one way or another
SignMeUp 08:41 PM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I would do it for free, but I charge a pretty hefty enrollment fee. I decided to charge that fee to cover stuff like this, as well as the time I spend with families before they enroll or soon after. Most families end up using the time in one way or another
Adding this: I would train the family in during the playdates if you decide to do it. Set times for arriving and leaving If they come late, or early, comment on it
Controlled Chaos 10:24 PM 08-06-2014
I have done this. I like to see how the child interacts with the other children, it gives me a heads up to how it will go. I have never charged for a play date with parents. I charge a small registration fee, but it is usually spent on buying things like glue sticks and markers that we go through so fast.
Laurel 03:22 AM 08-07-2014
I wouldn't charge but I would stress that it only be an hour.

Laurel
daycarediva 03:45 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I do a 4 hour trial for ALL new kids before they start. I can do it at once (usually for older kids who seem fine) or break it up into 2x2hour sessions. I don't charge, but it's covered in my registration fee.
TheGoodLife 04:33 AM 08-07-2014
Awesome, thanks ladies!
Second Home 06:14 AM 08-07-2014
I don't think I would charge for just 1 hour . Though I would want some type of form / paperwork to cover you in case of an injury / illness while the child was there .
nannyde 07:02 AM 08-07-2014
She planning to stay with?
TheGoodLife 07:07 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
She planning to stay with?
No, just to drop off to let him get acquainted. I choose the days and times.
hope 07:41 AM 08-07-2014
I have done this before. It's more for the parents than me. I ask that parents bring the child during the interview process. It is there, when the parents and me are talking and the child is playing by themselves that I can look for any red flags. When a parent wants a play date I limit it to an hour and spend the time talking with mom. The kids all seem to act up a little bc any time there is a visitor they get excited and things can get crazy. I let parents know this. They want to see the other kids and get a feel for what the day will be like. I get it. Don't like it but feel it puts them at ease. I don't charge.
AmyKidsCo 07:46 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
No, just to drop off to let him get acquainted. I choose the days and times.
Oh good - IMO it wouldn't work as well if she stayed. It sends the message that you're not trustworthy.

I'd do it for free, if she's definitely enrolling. She'd need to have all of the paperwork in beforehand though.
Shell 08:10 AM 08-07-2014
Ugh! I have done this before, and both times it backfired. First time I didn't charge and dcm stayed, second time I did charge and dcm left dcb here. Most of my kids just have a start date, and that's when we begin. The two times I did this "transition" time seemed a little strange to me- like they didn't fully trust me or I don't really know- I just don't usually do this. One might have been looking for "me" time before her start date. Anyway, both flopped, so u don't think I would do it again. If you are going to do it, I would charge an hourly rate- at least get paid for the extra time!
MarinaVanessa 09:11 AM 08-07-2014
Originally Posted by hope:
I have done this before. It's more for the parents than me. I ask that parents bring the child during the interview process. It is there, when the parents and me are talking and the child is playing by themselves that I can look for any red flags. When a parent wants a play date I limit it to an hour and spend the time talking with mom. The kids all seem to act up a little bc any time there is a visitor they get excited and things can get crazy. I let parents know this. They want to see the other kids and get a feel for what the day will be like. I get it. Don't like it but feel it puts them at ease. I don't charge.
Ha ha I do it too but I do it more for me than the parents .

The parents like that I do this (not many people in my area do I don't think) but I hold at least one 45 min to 1 hour playdate before the child starts (unless it is an infant under 1 year old) so that I can see how the child behaves around the other children when mom and dad aren't around.

Children always behave differently around their parents. Most act out for their parents in ways that they wouldn't around different adults because they feel like with mom and dad they can get away with it. Usually children are on their best behavior during the first couple of days or until they can get used to the new environment. If a child doesn't follow directions, hits and generally misbehaves during a playdate then I pretty much know it can only get worse as the child gets more comfortable.

I don't charge for the first one but after that it depends on what I want to do. If I think I need to schedule more playdates and it's for my benefits then I won't charge the parent but if I think more playdates are unnecessary and the parent insists on them then I will charge them but I consider them drop-in and will require a 4 hour minimum and I charge them my hourly drop-in rate.
Reply Up