Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Baby" Behavior From 4 year old DCG
Unregistered 09:45 AM 09-19-2014
I have a 4 year old DCG who comes into my home every morning and lays down on the floor while DCD takes off her shoes and coat. Then she stands on the landing and says "carry me" to go downstairs to the playroom. DCD always does. Then she proceeds to "baby talk",(dadadadadadadada) and DCD will say, "yes, I am your dad." Once DCD leaves, I will talk to her about how she needs to act like a big girl and how what she is doing each morning is not acting like a big girl. I tell her she is expected to act like a big girl whenever she is at my house. I also have three other DCK who are within the same ages. All four are within 6 months of each other. I have explained to DCG that all the other kids her age walk in, sit down and take their own shoes off, walk downstairs and start playing and talking like big kids. Maybe it's not the best thing to compare the kids, but I feel like she should be expected to do the same things as the others her age. Also, I think a big part of the problem is that DCD thinks it is cute when she acts like this and does not ever tell her she needs to do something on her own. She is the youngest of two kids and I tend to believe by the way DCM and DCD talk to her around me that she is babied at home. How do I nicely say to the parents that they need to stop babying her or the behavior will never stop?! I am not a confrontational person, so it's sometimes hard for me, especially when it might seem like I am attacking their parenting style.
Play Care 10:12 AM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 4 year old DCG who comes into my home every morning and lays down on the floor while DCD takes off her shoes and coat. Then she stands on the landing and says "carry me" to go downstairs to the playroom. DCD always does. Then she proceeds to "baby talk",(dadadadadadadada) and DCD will say, "yes, I am your dad." Once DCD leaves, I will talk to her about how she needs to act like a big girl and how what she is doing each morning is not acting like a big girl. I tell her she is expected to act like a big girl whenever she is at my house. I also have three other DCK who are within the same ages. All four are within 6 months of each other. I have explained to DCG that all the other kids her age walk in, sit down and take their own shoes off, walk downstairs and start playing and talking like big kids. Maybe it's not the best thing to compare the kids, but I feel like she should be expected to do the same things as the others her age. Also, I think a big part of the problem is that DCD thinks it is cute when she acts like this and does not ever tell her she needs to do something on her own. She is the youngest of two kids and I tend to believe by the way DCM and DCD talk to her around me that she is babied at home. How do I nicely say to the parents that they need to stop babying her or the behavior will never stop?! I am not a confrontational person, so it's sometimes hard for me, especially when it might seem like I am attacking their parenting style.
It would drive me nuts. But so long as she didn't behave like that for me or expect me to do those things, I would not saying anything to the parent. I would greet the family and then walk away to the other kids saying " when you're ready, come join us!" That way I wouldn't have to constantly witness it.

We have an infant in care and I'm finding some of the kids are trying to pull baby talk. That's annoying enough!!
Unregistered 12:39 PM 09-19-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
It would drive me nuts. But so long as she didn't behave like that for me or expect me to do those things, I would not saying anything to the parent. I would greet the family and then walk away to the other kids saying " when you're ready, come join us!" That way I wouldn't have to constantly witness it.

We have an infant in care and I'm finding some of the kids are trying to pull baby talk. That's annoying enough!!
This does drive me nuts!! The only thing she does around me is the baby talk sometimes and I shut that down right away! The problem is that she is usually the first one to arrive, so it's hard not to witness the behavior!
cheerfuldom 01:25 PM 09-19-2014
I would just ignore Dad and daughter. As long as dropoffs are quick and non-disruptive, I wouldn't care if they play the baby game. She stops once Dad leaves right? I would just pick my battles. A couple minutes of annoying behavior is not worth the confrontation, especially if they are good people to work for and the kiddo does not act like that the rest of the day.
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 09-19-2014
I have specific activities set up for the kids in the mornings.

How "old" they behave upon drop off dictates which activity they are allowed to do.

If she can't take her own shoes off and walk her own self to the play room, she certainly isn't mature enough to play with the same activity as the "older" kids.
nannyde 04:10 PM 09-19-2014
An adult carrying a four year old on my basement stairs is at high risk for falling. That child needs to walk independently and hold the rail all the way down.

If they fall on your property their insurance is going after you.
Silly Songs 04:52 PM 09-19-2014
All you need to really do is ignore the behavior, not the child. Any attention is better than no attention. Talking about it is getting attention for this behavior. Just carry on as usual with her. She will see that being a baby gets no reaction at all.
Reply Up