Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>$3400 Grant Money, What Would You Use It For
daycare 07:59 AM 07-18-2017
I was contacted by my stars program about a grant they may receive. I was asked if I were to get $3400 what would I spend it on to improve my program.

I came up with the obvious stuff, like new supplies, equipment, attend trainings and etc.

if you had this option, what would you use it on?

thanks in advance.
hwichlaz 08:24 AM 07-18-2017
out door things, like a sand and water table, rocking teeter totter, playground covering and a fence around my playground to keep the dogs out.
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 07-18-2017
We do have this option and the money I receive fro grants go to things that meet our state's priority goals.

A few of them are school readiness, health and physical movement, math/science skills as well as professional development.

We can purchase items or training/classes that help our programs meet those goals.

I used my grant money this last year to purchase our new playground set.

I've used past grant monies to purchase curriculum and assessments, equipment for our math/science area (microscopes, pre-made slides, a light table etc) and I purchased an iPad to create an easier format for signing in/out, parent communication and for documentation/assessment purposes.

HTH
Ariana 08:35 AM 07-18-2017
I would definitely use it for the outdoor play space. Different textured surfaces for walking, a water feature, outdoor chalkboard etc.
daycare 08:40 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I would definitely use it for the outdoor play space. Different textured surfaces for walking, a water feature, outdoor chalkboard etc.
thanks ladies for responding. I am not sure how we will receive the money. if it will be cash or if it will be in the form of a voucher.

I personally would like to spend it on staff training, because our QRIS wants these highly qualifed people, but we can't afford to pay them. minimum wage here is $10an hour, most people want $16plus an hour and that is hard for a small program like FCC to do, especially when they are not QRIS qualified.

since QRIS is so new, not too many people come equipped ready to hire for the job with the skill set. which right away makes it very hard to train them and pay them to get training.

BC what is health and physical movement??
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:

BC what is health and physical movement??
Anything related to healthy eating and exercise.

So my play ground met the requirements of exercise so it was approved spending.

Here our funds are paid to us direct deposit. We have to purchase the item(s) we want (after getting approval they meet the requirements) and then we submit a receipt for the stuff and they reimburse us the money directly to our checking accounts. In previous years they sent out paper checks but we still had to purchase on our own and submit receipts for reimbursement.
daycare 08:50 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Anything related to healthy eating and exercise.

So my play ground met the requirements of exercise so it was approved spending.

Here our funds are paid to us direct deposit. We have to purchase the item(s) we want (after getting approval they meet the requirements) and then we submit a receipt for the stuff and they reimburse us the money directly to our checking accounts. In previous years they sent out paper checks but we still had to purchase on our own and submit receipts for reimbursement.
got it. that all makes sense. I do like that idea of healthy eating and exercise, I honestly think that it is really over looked. While we do have the food program, I honestly don't think they really educate providers and parents on healthy eating. they still allow way too much junk and I really don't think they spend enough time about portion control. Like right now I have a kid that just turned 2, is new to my program and eats more than any other kid here. I have a 6 year old in my program and mostly 4 year olds. The parents are upset that I refuse to over feed the child, I serve the correct portions and if the child is still hungry, they can have more veggies...

Can you tell me what kind of play ground equipment you got?
Unregistered 09:11 AM 07-18-2017
This is Mike. You won't see much from me till at least Saturday. I was going to post my own thread but with the title of this one, I just had to reply here.
Sorry for hijacking DC

Right now, we would love to come across $3400. Sunday afternoon we (myself, brother and mother) were out, and when we got home,
We figured out that our power lines must have been hit by lightning. Several things have been damaged but the biggest problem is our computers. My brothers is fried, including the hard drive. My computer is fried but luckily my hard drives are ok. I'm hoping to be back in operation Saturday. But, our Internet modem is also fried and they can't fix it till Tuesday, so until then my Internet is very limited.

Our uv water filter quit too, so we have to boil water now. A duplex kitchen outlet is out of order. We switch breaker on and it sparks and back off, so we need an electrician (one with more equipment than I have) to figure out where the wires got shorted. And a few more smaller problems.

I hope my mother's insurance covers this type of thing.
daycare 09:13 AM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is Mike. You won't see much from me till at least Saturday. I was going to post my own thread but with the title of this one, I just had to reply here.
Sorry for hijacking DC

Right now, we would love to come across $3400. Sunday afternoon we (myself, brother and mother) were out, and when we got home,
We figured out that our power lines must have been hit by lightning. Several things have been damaged but the biggest problem is our computers. My brothers is fried, including the hard drive. My computer is fried but luckily my hard drives are ok. I'm hoping to be back in operation Saturday. But, our Internet modem is also fried and they can't fix it till Tuesday, so until then my Internet is very limited.

Our uv water filter quit too, so we have to boil water now. A duplex kitchen outlet is out of order. We switch breaker on and it sparks and back off, so we need an electrician (one with more equipment than I have) to figure out where the wires got shorted. And a few more smaller problems.

OMG so sorry to hear this, but thankfully you are all ok. where are you located. I have read about these things, but I really didn't realize how often they happen,,
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 07-18-2017

Can you tell me what kind of play ground equipment you got?

daycare 10:54 AM 07-18-2017
wow that is beautiful, but my insurance would never go for it. I can't have anything more half their falling height. does that make sense. hope I said that right
Blackcat31 10:57 AM 07-18-2017
wow that is beautiful, but my insurance would never go for it. I can't have anything more half their falling height. does that make sense. hope I said that right
Yep totally makes sense!
Also makes me super happy my state hasn't reached that level of strict. yet.
CityGarden 11:49 AM 07-18-2017
I would get the Community Playthings Outlast Cascade Play Center

I love the quality from Community Playthings and this has so much value:

Attached: watertable.jpg (508.1 KB) 
daycare 12:03 PM 07-18-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:

• space for lots of children at the same time
  • water / sand play
  • compliments the Nature Explore Classroom / Outdoor Classroom Project program I aspire to have
  • science exploration
  • engineering exploration
  • could be used instead of a sensory table
OMG that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. I wonder how that would work with out very strict water laws.
CityGarden 12:32 PM 07-18-2017
OMG that is the coolest thing i have ever seen. I wonder how that would work with out very strict water laws.
Similar to any water table or pool it has to be monitored at all times. I believe it's easy to drain the water and I feel it would also be useful with items other than water --- sand, rice, water beads, etc.

I will say your idea for employee training is compelling but since I am just starting out I am still investing in the physical space. If I was in your position I would likely go for the employee training / PD.

Slightly OT but what made you decide to participate in QRIS? Are commercial daycare / preschools also doing it?
daycare 12:40 PM 07-18-2017
Similar to any water table or pool it has to be monitored at all times. I believe it's easy to drain the water and I feel it would also be useful with items other than water --- sand, rice, water beads, etc.

I will say your idea for employee training is compelling but since I am just starting out I am still investing in the physical space. If I was in your position I would likely go for the employee training / PD.

Slightly OT but what made you decide to participate in QRIS? Are commercial daycare / preschools also doing it?
I actually work with the state of california part time. several different things that I teach. I was asked about 5 years ago to participate in a pilot, which later was named........duhn dhun dhunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the evil QRiS....lol

supposedly, they are saying that it will eventually become a requirement to have a family home childcare in the state of CA
Unregistered 03:33 PM 07-18-2017
OMG so sorry to hear this, but thankfully you are all ok. where are you located. I have read about these things, but I really didn't realize how often they happen,,
Eastern ontario, a little south of ottawa
Unregistered 03:35 PM 07-18-2017
That looks nice.
Mike
daycare 03:59 PM 07-18-2017
Eastern ontario, a little south of ottawa
oh wow! thats quite a mess that storm made.
Mike 08:16 PM 07-18-2017
oh wow! thats quite a mess that storm made.
Natural destructions seem to be happening a lot more.

I remembered my password so am back in as myself. One of the problems with having computers remember passwords.
Josiegirl 04:25 AM 07-19-2017

• space for lots of children at the same time
  • water / sand play
  • compliments the Nature Explore Classroom / Outdoor Classroom Project program I aspire to have
  • science exploration
  • engineering exploration
  • could be used instead of a sensory table
In a heartbeat!! My dcks would love this! Or anything else that would upgrade our outdoor space; the texture post is intriguing also.
Unregistered 04:31 AM 07-19-2017
I would buy a four or six kid stroller. Not a bye bye buggy but the lighter weight fold up kind, a light table with accessories and outdoor equipment!
e.j. 03:54 PM 07-19-2017
Sorry for hijacking DC

I'm sorry to hear this, Mike. I hope her insurance kicks in and that you can get back to normal sooner than later. My kids laugh at me when I shut off and unplug my computer during storms. I guess it would be a small loss compared to all the other things that can go wrong if your house is hit by lightening but.... I feel like I need to do it.
e.j. 04:04 PM 07-19-2017
Am I the only one who can't even fathom what I would spend $3400 on? I'd be like the kid in a candy shop and not be able to make up my mind! That Cascade Play Center would have to figure in there somewhere, though. My dc kids would love it!
daycare 04:15 PM 07-19-2017
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Am I the only one who can't even fathom what I would spend $3400 on? I'd be like the kid in a candy shop and not be able to make up my mind! That Cascade Play Center would have to figure in there somewhere, though. My dc kids would love it!
thats how I feel. I wish I could afford that table, even with the grant money, I would feel guilty buying only that one item...lol
e.j. 06:20 PM 07-19-2017
Oh my! I just checked the link. That's a pricey piece of equipment! I'd have trouble spending that much on one thing, too. I'd still give it some serious thought, though. My kids love the water tables I have now and as simple as they are, will play with them all morning long - peacefully. The play center would keep them entertained even longer. There are some days when that kind of calm could be worth every cent!
daycare 06:22 PM 07-19-2017
Oh my! I just checked the link. That's a pricey piece of equipment! I'd have trouble spending that much on one thing, too. I'd still give it some serious thought, though. My kids love the water tables I have now and as simple as they are, will play with them all morning long - peacefully. The play center would keep them entertained even longer. There are some days when that kind of calm could be worth every cent!
I agree. My kids also live for our water tables and that would probably be the centerpiece of my program. Ugh. Decisions decisions.
Unregistered 05:57 PM 07-20-2017
Is this stock photo or yours? We are not allowed to have anything over 2 feet on grass. It has to have 6 inches deep of approved substrate, plus it has to be 6 feet out on all sides!
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 07-21-2017
Is this stock photo or yours? We are not allowed to have anything over 2 feet on grass. It has to have 6 inches deep of approved substrate, plus it has to be 6 feet out on all sides!
My state is pretty laid back about playground requirements.

These are the requirements for outdoor play:

Subp. 2. Outdoor play space.
There must be an outdoor play space of at least 50 square feet per child in attendance, adjacent to the residence, for regular use, or a park, playground, or play space within 1,500 feet of the residence.

On-site supervision must be provided by a caregiver for children of less than school age when play space is not adjacent to the residence. Enclosure may be required by the agency to provide protection from rail, traffic, water, or machinery hazard. The area must be free of litter, rubbish, toxic materials, water hazards, machinery, unlocked vehicles, human or animal wastes, and sewage contaminants.

e.j. 12:00 PM 07-21-2017
My state is pretty laid back about playground requirements.

These are the requirements for outdoor play:

Subp. 2. Outdoor play space.
There must be an outdoor play space of at least 50 square feet per child in attendance, adjacent to the residence, for regular use, or a park, playground, or play space within 1,500 feet of the residence.

On-site supervision must be provided by a caregiver for children of less than school age when play space is not adjacent to the residence. Enclosure may be required by the agency to provide protection from rail, traffic, water, or machinery hazard. The area must be free of litter, rubbish, toxic materials, water hazards, machinery, unlocked vehicles, human or animal wastes, and sewage contaminants.
I want your regulations!
(I just don't want your cold and snow.)
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 07-21-2017
I want your regulations!
(I just don't want your cold and snow.)
well, if it makes you feel any better it's been in the upper 80ies - lower 90ies with high/heavy humidity over the last few days so.... HOT!!
e.j. 05:04 PM 07-21-2017
well, if it makes you feel any better it's been in the upper 80ies - lower 90ies with high/heavy humidity over the last few days so.... HOT!!
That really doesn't make me want to live there any more than the cold. Sounds like we're having the same weather, though - low 90's and humid here, too. I think it just feels a little better to me because I'm not used to -80 degrees!
Tags:grants, stars program
Reply Up