Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snakes Are Getting On My Nerves....
Cat Herder 01:24 PM 06-09-2011
I am used to having a few snakes around each year, BUT enough already!!! .

I had to trap and move two king snakes (one looked to be gravid) off my upper deck last week (15 ft off the ground ), chase four rat snakes (varying sizes, one multiple times) out of my playground area earlier this week and a few minutes ago was charged by a particularly moody racer. There are shedded snake skins under my bushes in ALL of my flower beds.

I am glad they are here, don't get me wrong. I DO NOT MISS all the timber rattlers that were here when I first moved in. Trapping, storing and getting someone to come pick them up to relocate them was a royal PITA.

It just seems they were put on fertility drugs or something this year!!!

Any tricks of the trade out there for keeping them on the other "un-used" acres???
daycare 01:27 PM 06-09-2011
this post made me shiver. lol
AfterSchoolMom 01:29 PM 06-09-2011
OMG. Where on earth are you? I would move!!!!
Cat Herder 01:33 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
OMG. Where on earth are you? I would move!!!!
Nah, I live in a watershed region bordering a national forest. They were here first. I love it here...so quiet and beautiful.

It really is not usually this bad, though. I have no metal lying around, no wood piles and my lawn is manicured to OCD standards most of the time.
momma2girls 01:38 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Nah, I live in a watershed region bordering a national forest. They were here first. I love it here...so quiet and beautiful.

It really is not usually this bad, though. I have no metal lying around, no wood piles and my lawn is manicured to OCD standards most of the time.
OMG!! If I seen a snake, I would have a heart attack!!!
youretooloud 01:45 PM 06-09-2011
I've always had trouble with rattle snakes. So, harmless snakes would make my whole day!
nannyde 01:51 PM 06-09-2011
no snakes

I don't know how you do it.
Cat Herder 01:51 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I've always had trouble with rattle snakes. So, harmless snakes would make my whole day!
I could ship you some.... No not really, jail does not appeal.
Cat Herder 01:56 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
no snakes

I don't know how you do it.
I love reptiles, especially geckos, rhinoceros iguanas and anoles. I even like most snakes (they can keep the hots ) but it does get old.

I have to keep the kids on the deck while I "clear" the playground daily...it is time consuming and continuous. My attention is split between what the kids are doing and what may be lurking. YKWIM?

Now I miss cold weather...
sharlan 02:42 PM 06-09-2011
I would have packed up and moved by now!!!!!!!

Have you heard about the snake house in Idaho (I think)? It is so infested with snakes that families have had to move out.
momma2girls 03:35 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:

Have you heard about the snake house in Idaho (I think)? It is so infested with snakes that families have had to move out.
OMG!!!!
I would DIE!!!
wdmmom 03:40 PM 06-09-2011

YES! I seen it on Yahoo! News the other day! The most disturbing news cast I've ever seen! The family would wake up to them in their pillow cases, in bed, under the bed, in cupboards, in shoes, etc.

Gross, gross, gross! I would have packed up and gone as far away from there as I could!

I don't even know what I would do if I seen a snake on my deck...other than SCREAM of course!
Michael 03:48 PM 06-09-2011
I have a place in Florida and there are pythons now that get up 10 feet long. People had them as pets and let them go when they are young thinking they should go into the wild. Dangerous to small children to say the least. I think the best thing is to teach the children to be aware of them and to tell you if they see one. Usually even the poisonous ones won't bother you unless you invade their space. I picked up a cotton mouth when I was younger thinking it was not poisonous. Lucky I didn't get bitten. At least you don't have gators.
Cat Herder 05:24 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I have a place in Florida and there are pythons now that get up 10 feet long. People had them as pets and let them go when they are young thinking they should go into the wild. Dangerous to small children to say the least. I think the best thing is to teach the children to be aware of them and to tell you if they see one. Usually even the poisonous ones won't bother you unless you invade their space. I picked up a cotton mouth when I was younger thinking it was not poisonous. Lucky I didn't get bitten. At least you don't have gators.
I miss the gators.....

Yeah, pythons are invading the glades, too. Breaks my heart....that is my "Happy Place"
Breezy 05:29 PM 06-09-2011
Don't know what I would do if I saw a snake in my yard. I thought having 2 brown recluses in my house within a week of eachother was bad. Scary!!!
TSDaycare 06:36 PM 06-09-2011
I would be having a fit! I would be very afraid to let the kids play outside!

Anyways here we have black snakes and copperheads- our trick is to put mothballs out- along your woodsline and all around the edge of your yard, also in your shed or under any decks, porches, etc. where it is cool and dark, that is there favorite place to hang out. One mothball every few feet works wonders, we haven't seen any snakes in two years since we started doing that and I am surrounded by woods, we saw several the first year living here before we knew what to do....of course if it rains alot you need to replace them because they will "melt", but it seems to work! Can't hurt to give it a try-a very cheap solution if it works for you!

Good Luck!
Cat Herder 06:59 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
I would be having a fit! I would be very afraid to let the kids play outside!

Anyways here we have black snakes and copperheads- our trick is to put mothballs out- along your woodsline and all around the edge of your yard, also in your shed or under any decks, porches, etc. where it is cool and dark, that is there favorite place to hang out. One mothball every few feet works wonders, we haven't seen any snakes in two years since we started doing that and I am surrounded by woods, we saw several the first year living here before we knew what to do....of course if it rains alot you need to replace them because they will "melt", but it seems to work! Can't hurt to give it a try-a very cheap solution if it works for you!

Good Luck!
I will try that around the playground. Thanks. I am one of those weirdos that actually likes the smell..

These are great snakes to have around because they eat pit vipers, I just have never seen this many before....

I already tried doghair around the outside fence line of the playground since my golden gives me a daily supply...it did nothing. Critter rid did not help with them, either
youretooloud 08:02 PM 06-09-2011
This afternoon, the neighbor kid found a HUGE (at least five foot long) Bull snake near my fence today.

So, clearly I Jinxed myself when I said I'd be thrilled to have them instead of rattle snakes. I wasn't upset... but, I wasn't out there trying to give him a name or anything. Sorta glad a bunch of 13 yr olds found him instead of me.

It took three teenage boys and one dad to hold him up for pictures. Then, they took him to some Reptile rescue place.
laundrymom 08:12 PM 06-09-2011
Perfect answer,.. Move. Lol. Holy crap I'm a weenie! I love indiana, I love Indiana, I love Indiana!!!!!
Michael 09:51 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Don't know what I would do if I saw a snake in my yard. I thought having 2 brown recluses in my house within a week of eachother was bad. Scary!!!
I'd take a bucket full of snakes over a recluse spider anyday!
laundrymom 04:29 AM 06-10-2011
I don't want snakes, gators, or spiders. Lol. Nice well behaved fluffy puppies for me!!!! Lol
Unregistered 04:51 AM 06-10-2011
Someone toled me to have a outside cat ,snakes dont like the smell of cats and also cut the bushes back they dont like to much light.I had snakes in my yard in Louisiana,I`m from Germany and we dont have snackes (zoo only) ,fricked me out ,I dont know wich snake is poisend .
Meyou 05:08 AM 06-10-2011
Cirtus oil will work too. Snakes hate citrus. It's the best way to get a snake to detach if you're bitten as well. I'm a big snake and reptile lover. I have a ball, 3 giant geckos and 2 beardies.

I read your post and was thinking...JEALOUS! Not so much that you have to clear the yard daily but that you have such beauties around you daily. I love rat snakes. My friend had a strawberry one that was just gorgeous.
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Citrus oil will work too. Snakes hate citrus. It's the best way to get a snake to detach if you're bitten as well. I'm a big snake and reptile lover. I have a ball, 3 giant geckos and 2 beardies.

I read your post and was thinking...JEALOUS! Not so much that you have to clear the yard daily but that you have such beauties around you daily. I love rat snakes. My friend had a strawberry one that was just gorgeous.
Where would I find citrus oil??

You would definitely love them, then. They are thick, strong and no scarring to be found...they must be living well.

I have over 30 rhacs (they are addictive ) and have fostered many other species over the years.
dEHmom 07:23 AM 06-10-2011
for the moth balls, would it work to put them in some sort of enclosure where they wouldnt' get wet, but would still give off a smell??? then you wouldn't have to replace them as much.

i know for our cabin when we'd close it for the winter, we'd put moth balls in a container with lids and holes. that way we didnt' knock them over and have moth balls running around. it works great. then we'd just take all the containers and bag them in the spring, and pull them out again in the fall.
sharlan 07:28 AM 06-10-2011
I would be very cautious with the moth balls as a little one might find them attractive.
Michelle 07:34 AM 06-10-2011
ummm, I will never complain about an earthquake again,
shaking house is way more fun that snakes!
Meyou 07:39 AM 06-10-2011
Where would I find citrus oil??

You would definitely love them, then. They are thick, strong and no scarring to be found...they must be living well.

I have over 30 rhacs (they are addictive ) and have fostered many other species over the years.
The citrus oil I have is in a spray can and I got it at home depot. It's actually a natural air and surface freshener but its all natural so just pure citrus oil. It won't harm them but it does irritate them like and it will release any biter. They HATE the smell.

I would love to see them and my oldest would never leave your yard!
Cat Herder 07:48 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Someone toled me to have a outside cat ,snakes dont like the smell of cats and also cut the bushes back they dont like to much light.I had snakes in my yard in Louisiana,I`m from Germany and we dont have snackes (zoo only) ,fricked me out ,I dont know wich snake is poisend .
I have 4 indoor/outdoor, fat, long haired cats... I guess they just don't present much of a threat. I would be hard pressed to get the off the couch during the day or the deck furniture during the nights, though.

Even my resident skinks and anoles all have their tails and lay across the decks ignoring the cats. The hummig birds dive bomb them all the time too, it is hilarious.

Originally Posted by dEHmom:
for the moth balls, would it work to put them in some sort of enclosure where they wouldnt' get wet, but would still give off a smell??? then you wouldn't have to replace them as much.

i know for our cabin when we'd close it for the winter, we'd put moth balls in a container with lids and holes. that way we didnt' knock them over and have moth balls running around. it works great. then we'd just take all the containers and bag them in the spring, and pull them out again in the fall.
Great idea Thanks!

I would be very cautious with the moth balls as a little one might find them attractive.
Absolutely. My playground is fenced, I will just put them around the outside fenceline (I already keep several feet cleared with round-up there.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 06-10-2011
LOL!! This whole thread makes me laugh! We were out working in the garden last weekend and my DH saw a Common Garter snake about 18 inches long. He spent the rest of the weekend inside because he was so freaked out!! He HATES snakes! I think that is the biggest one we have around here. We have other kinds but they are teeny tiny and none are poisonous.

I am also with Michael on this one; I would spend the entire day with a snake (poisonous or not) before I get within a mile of a brown recluse spider....or any other spider for that matter. Those are what keep me inside and I don't think we have any venomous spiders where I live either.

FTR: we have no gators, crocs or lizards either. The worse thing we have where I live are misquitoes and sub-zero temperatures.

I was told that mothballs can and do work but other animals and pets can eat them and die so if you use them they should be put in somehting where the smell can still get out but no one can actually get to them.

I have also heard that sulfer powder sprinkled on a fence line works fantastic as does planting marigolds.

Someone else said put an "Owl" windsock out because snakes are prey for owls so the snakes will stay away from a natural predator.

If all else fails: move. LOL!!
dEHmom 09:26 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
before I get within a mile of a brown recluse spider....or any other spider for that matter. Those are what keep me inside and I don't think we have any venomous spiders where ilive either.
you know.......pretty sure it's a fact that you are never any more than 2 ft from a spider at all times

i think this is the summer we are going to get the garden orb spiders. they build gigantic (but beautiful) webs in the corners of everything (in the fence where the boards meet the cross bars) and any where else OUTSIDE. they build big enough webs to catch about 5 dragonflies. i always free the dragon flies, but they get most of the bugs and that's fine with me.

i hate spiders, but if they are outside, and killing the flies that usually come in my house it's fine by me! these spiders come every 2 to 3 years only. and they have a body the size of a golf ball (not including the legs!) and bigger! they are very shy of humans though. if you go near, they will hide and curl into a ball.
Blackcat31 09:33 AM 06-10-2011
you know.......pretty sure it's a fact that you are never any more than 2 ft from a spider at all times .
Thanks for ruining my day!!!! ...Now I can't stop shuddering and am totaly creeped out. I will feel like I have creepy crawly's all over me now...

dEHmom 09:36 AM 06-10-2011
Thanks for ruining my day!!!! ...Now I can't stop shuddering and am totaly creeped out. I will feel like I have creepy crawly's all over me now...

there's one by your foot!
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 06-10-2011
there's one by your foot!

dEHmom 09:44 AM 06-10-2011
hahaha sorry, had to do it.
spiders are good. they catch all the stuff you wouldnt want to find running around.

right now i'm battling ants! in my bedroom!!!!!! ugh! i had a glass of sprite on the night stand when i had the flu months ago. and my little guy spilled it in the morning, and so i cleaned it all up. but i guess i didn't realize it ran down the back of the night stand. ugh! 2 nights ago i looked over while laying in bed, and there were about 100 ants crawling around. i slept on the couch that night.
gkids09 11:51 AM 06-10-2011
I am SO glad you posted this Catherder!! We have had an unreal amount of snakes this year too!! I think ours is because of all the flood water we've dealt with (same reason we have a MILLION frogs around too...).

My poor puppy dog (a yellow lab, about 3 years old), got bitten either yesterday morning or night before last by a copperhead snake...TWICE. Poor puppy is spending her second night at the vet tonight. She is BAD swollen and the vet says "We are just taking it one day at a time..."

I HATE snakes..Got home the other day without dh, and there was one over 4 feet long in the middle of my driveway. Even in the car, I froze and almost burst into tears. ha!

Then the mockingbirds started going CRAZY after it, and it left. We killed a snake that was making its home in our flower bed a few weeks ago. AND we have an outdoor (pregnant) cat that adopted us, so I don't think her smell is bothering the snakes much, darn it.

I WILL be purchasing moth balls and putting it out around my house AND my daycare ASAP.

Oh, and as for the mothballs killing pets...the vet told us that when they put them in their mouth, they cause a sort of chemical burn on their tongue, so they spit them right back out, no harm done...
dEHmom 11:59 AM 06-10-2011
i know MOST cats don't like moth balls. it usually works pretty well to keep them out of the gardens. but some cats either don't care, or don't smell them.

sorry to hear about your puppy hope he is home soon.

i dont' know how you all do it, with all the snakes around. eeek!

we used to at night grab our garbage and throw it out the back door. then in the morning when dh would leave, he'd chuck the bag into the bin. for a few nights in a row, the bags were torn up. which is weird, because we have a completely fenced in yard, and live FAR away from all the wildlife.

3am dh is leaving for work, sees our cat eating the garbage! opens the door, and gets ready to hoof him. he was thinking that our cat looked awfully fat all of a sudden. a foot away from making contact, he realized it was a skunk. luckily the skunk didn't even notice him! must've been some good garbage. i would've killed dh if the skunk sprayed because it's rear end was pointed right into my back door.
Cat Herder 12:05 PM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
The citrus oil I have is in a spray can and I got it at home depot. It's actually a natural air and surface freshener but its all natural so just pure citrus oil. It won't harm them but it does irritate them like and it will release any biter. They HATE the smell.

I would love to see them and my oldest would never leave your yard!
Very cool.. maybe I could soak some of the ground aquarium clay (incubation material) with the oil and just sprinkle it around. Hmm... I have a few extra bags of compressed coconut bedding to absorb it up, too...bet that would work... Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by gkids09:
I am SO glad you posted this Catherder!! We have had an unreal amount of snakes this year too!! I think ours is because of all the flood water we've dealt with (same reason we have a MILLION frogs around too...).

My poor puppy dog (a yellow lab, about 3 years old), got bitten either yesterday morning or night before last by a copperhead snake...TWICE. Poor puppy is spending her second night at the vet tonight. She is BAD swollen and the vet says "We are just taking it one day at a time..."

I HATE snakes..Got home the other day without dh, and there was one over 4 feet long in the middle of my driveway. Even in the car, I froze and almost burst into tears. ha!

Then the mockingbirds started going CRAZY after it, and it left. We killed a snake that was making its home in our flower bed a few weeks ago. AND we have an outdoor (pregnant) cat that adopted us, so I don't think her smell is bothering the snakes much, darn it.

I WILL be purchasing moth balls and putting it out around my house AND my daycare ASAP.

Oh, and as for the mothballs killing pets...the vet told us that when they put them in their mouth, they cause a sort of chemical burn on their tongue, so they spit them right back out, no harm done...
Thanks for letting me know what your vet said. I am sorry to hear about your dog, copperheads do have one painful bite. Glad to hear your little guy was not allergic to the venom.

At your mockingbirds...my blue jays give them grief as well.

Oh, and Blackcat...I have an annoying screech owl that lives a couple trees over from the treehouse. The snakes do not care..she is only here to torment me.
Breezy 01:31 PM 06-10-2011
You have a point...

Hubby is deployed so I am the official spider killer of the house. Killed them both with the Swiffer! My cats found the second one before I did but lucky I was right there before they got bit!
Michael 01:45 PM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Actually you're right. Cats are great hunters of everything that moves. Next door neighbor's indoor/outdoor cat is a hunter/killer. Never see anything moving outside anymore. The neighbor always finds something/parts that the cat brought in. I would just have an outdoor cat but spade/neuter it.
Michael 01:49 PM 06-10-2011
you know.......pretty sure it's a fact that you are never any more than 2 ft from a spider at all times
If you live in a tent, and its also said that at one time in your life everyone will swallow a spider while sleeping. Now sleep on that one...
nannyde 02:11 PM 06-10-2011
Actually you're right. Cats are great hunters of everything that moves. Next door neighbor's indoor/outdoor cat is a hunter/killer. Never see anything moving outside anymore. The neighbor always finds something/parts that the cat brought in. I would just have an outdoor cat but spade/neuter it.
I'm not a Cat fan (well I'm a Cathearder fan but not a cat as in kitty cat) but I would definitely rather have one cat than a yard of snakes.

Time to get you a HEARD of cats Cathearder.
nannyde 02:14 PM 06-10-2011
I got bit by a brown recluse about five years ago. OMG it was SO painful. I thought I was going to DIE.

The Doctor was like "oh it looks like you've been bit by a brown recluse spider... that's too bad... that's got to REALLY hurt".

Ah yeah... I'm here because I'm ready to cut my leg off at the knee and I'm sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blackcat31 02:23 PM 06-10-2011
If you live in a tent, and its also said that at one time in your life everyone will swallow a spider while sleeping. Now sleep on that one...
OMG!!!!! Where is the vomit emoticon?!?!!?!?!? I am seriously never going to sleep ever again!!! ...and I will not CIO either!! I will just stand here wide awake looking frantically all around me I will also only communicate through typing and text from now on...it will seriously reduce the risk of opening my mouth...just in case.
Michael 03:00 PM 06-10-2011
I got bit by a brown recluse about five years ago. OMG it was SO painful. I thought I was going to DIE.

The Doctor was like "oh it looks like you've been bit by a brown recluse spider... that's too bad... that's got to REALLY hurt".

Ah yeah... I'm here because I'm ready to cut my leg off at the knee and I'm sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really? Forget waterboarding, you want information just show me a recluse and I am giving it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3iM-Qfdajg
Breezy 06:14 PM 06-10-2011
Really? Forget waterboarding, you want information just show me a recluse and I am giving it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3iM-Qfdajg
Oh. MY. GOSH!!!!!!!

I WOULD MOVE! How terrifying. Like the use of the tape measure though, I will be using that one in the future.
Cat Herder 03:06 PM 06-11-2011
I'm not a Cat fan (well I'm a Cathearder fan but not a cat as in kitty cat) but I would definitely rather have one cat than a yard of snakes.

Time to get you a HEARD of cats Cathearder.
I have 4 of them already....that is my limit . They are all spayed/nuetered, fat, bossy and lazy. The oldest is 9 the youngest is 3 and vet bills get expensive. (not to mention their monthly flea/worm meds ) I think they have better healthcare than I do...

Funny how I have never gone out a gotten a kitten, but one always comes to me somehow when I get below 4 of them.... Mother nature does not play fair. I am a sucker for the round little kitten faces.
SandeeAR 07:08 PM 06-11-2011
I had never heard of the citrus spray. However, when we lived in the country, I did use the moth balls. Put them in the edge of the "yard" where the "woods" started. Never had them in the yard again.

Wasn't doing daycare and my kids were old enough to leave them alone.

If you go the moth ball route, take several of the baby food, plastic containers, the rectangle ones with the lids. Punch a few holes in it, add the moth balls and use packing tape or duck tape to wrap it up. That way the smell is still there,but the kiddos can't get to the mothballs.

Btw, I don't do snakes, spiders or wasp/bees.
dEHmom 04:45 AM 06-13-2011
Not in a tent! lol.

Spiders are everywhere, and unless they are poisonous, there's no real need to fear them. they are beneficial in many ways, even though i hate them and kill them when i see them. i don't mind sharing my space with them, but if I see them, they are goners. We have 3/4's crawl space basement. so given the bare earth down there, there are bug issues. spiders help keep the other bugs down.
dEHmom 04:46 AM 06-13-2011
OMG!!!!! Where is the vomit emoticon?!?!!?!?!? I am seriously never going to sleep ever again!!! ...and I will not CIO either!! I will just stand here wide awake looking frantically all around me I will also only communicate through typing and text from now on...it will seriously reduce the risk of opening my mouth...just in case.
they crawl into your ear and lay eggs too sometimes. especially if you just swept their web away
dEHmom 04:49 AM 06-13-2011
sorry for multiple posts. i'm not awake yet and i forget what i want to say....

one easy quick, great smelling cure for a lot of spiders and other bugs, is cedar. They HATE cedar. so you can buy nice carved shaped cedar , or cedar balls at walmart or anywhere pretty much, and when they start smelling less just give them a nice brush with sandpaper. That's how I made it through living in the basement when i was younger.
Cat Herder 05:16 AM 06-13-2011
one easy quick, great smelling cure for a lot of spiders and other bugs, is cedar. They HATE cedar.
My entire playground is cedar mulch. I paid 4x what the pine went for for this reason.

My snakes don't care. They adapt better than we do I guess...

It smells nice when it rains, though.
dEHmom 05:25 AM 06-13-2011
My entire playground is cedar mulch. I paid 4x what the pine went for for this reason.

My snakes don't care. They adapt better than we do I guess...

It smells nice when it rains, though.
works for most bugs though
Cat Herder 05:33 AM 06-13-2011
works for most bugs though
That it does....no ants, spiders or yellow jackets in there.
Kaddidle Care 05:54 AM 06-13-2011
they crawl into your ear and lay eggs too sometimes. especially if you just swept their web away
That's it - I'm wearing a night cap from now on!

After reading about all of those snakes, I'm happy to live where I'm at! Yikes! My son did have a copperhead going after the little fish he caught though. EEEK!

Don't they make anything that sort of pounds the ground to keep the snakes away? I thought that was the purpose of a walking stick? Guess I'll have to invent one and get rich! haha!
areziaL 12:37 AM 06-17-2011
You're glad that these snakes are living with you?, that's really unusual. I really don't like snakes, I have great fears on them. Maybe you would like to have the house the Sessions one had. Ben and Amber Sessions believed they were purchasing their ideal house. And the 5 bedroom property in countryside Rexburg, Idaho was a bargain at under $180,000. But their dream house ended up being a nightmare. They were sharing their home with hundreds of snakes. The proof is here: Snakes infest Idaho house.
Tags:pests, scary, snakes
Reply Up