Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cutesy Name For Newsletter Article
gkids09 05:16 PM 08-31-2011
I do a newsletter every month. Required by the state. I used to list kids' accomplishments, but I never had anyone say they liked them or whatever so I got tired of doing them and quit.

Well, now that I've quit, I have had two parents ask me to do them again. I want a cute name for them, but can't think of one. I think Kid Accomplishments is a little too formal...

Any ideas? Writing my newsletter tonight to hand out tomorrow (September is here ALREADY?!) so any ideas in the next couple of hours would be GREAT!!

Thanks
TBird 05:41 PM 08-31-2011
How about....

I actually need ideas myself so if I think of more I'll be back!
familyschoolcare 05:43 PM 08-31-2011
look whoose doing ...... with a clip art picture of an owl
Crystal 06:13 PM 08-31-2011
"preschool press"
Crazy8 06:16 PM 08-31-2011
I have done that before and just titled it "look what we're doing now" or something like that.

I need to get my newsletter going - my Sept. one is always a big one - I don't need it till next Tues. since that is when some of them come back but I better start working on it now!!!
Unregistered 06:38 PM 08-31-2011
I'm amazed at the amount of time and effort it seems that so many providers on here seem to put into pleasing parents - instead of kids. I do no newsletters, facebook,texts, pictures, etc. etc. My parents say goodbye to kids, I take care of kids, parents say hello to kids while I say goodbye. If anything important/interesting has happened while kid was with either of us we TALK to each other about it. That's it. While the parents are at work they work - they do not check in on kids (except for parents of newborns or newly-into-daycare-kids, who may give me a call at some point during the day.) My focus is on the kids not the parents. I please the parents by taking good care of the kids while they are here - and no parent has ever asked me for any details about their child's moment to moment time here with me. It's a trust thing maybe. I don't feel the need to account for our every moment and they don't expect/want that from me. They know that my time and attention are focused on their child, not on them. And it's all good with all of the families!
gkids09 07:15 PM 08-31-2011
[quote=Unregistered;141897]I'm amazed at the amount of time and effort it seems that so many providers on here seem to put into pleasing parents - instead of kids. I do no newsletters, facebook,texts, pictures, etc. etc. My parents say goodbye to kids, I take care of kids, parents say hello to kids while I say goodbye. If anything important/interesting has happened while kid was with either of us we TALK to each other about it. That's it. While the parents are at work they work - they do not check in on kids (except for parents of newborns or newly-into-daycare-kids, who may give me a call at some point during the day.) My focus is on the kids not the parents. I please the parents by taking good care of the kids while they are here - and no parent has ever asked me for any details about their child's moment to moment time here with me. It's a trust thing maybe. I don't feel the need to account for our every moment and they don't expect/want that from me. They know that my time and attention are focused on their child, not on them. And it's all good with all of the families!

I had a really long response to this...but I'm not going to post it because I don't want to argue with an unregistered guest.
I asked for advice for a name of an article, not your criticism on how I treat my parents/kids, but thanks...

As for everyone else, thanks so much for the ideas!! I think I am going to think on it overnight and finish my newsletter tomorrow during naptime!!
daycare 07:31 PM 08-31-2011
[quote=gkids09;141909]
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm amazed at the amount of time and effort it seems that so many providers on here seem to put into pleasing parents - instead of kids. I do no newsletters, facebook,texts, pictures, etc. etc. My parents say goodbye to kids, I take care of kids, parents say hello to kids while I say goodbye. If anything important/interesting has happened while kid was with either of us we TALK to each other about it. That's it. While the parents are at work they work - they do not check in on kids (except for parents of newborns or newly-into-daycare-kids, who may give me a call at some point during the day.) My focus is on the kids not the parents. I please the parents by taking good care of the kids while they are here - and no parent has ever asked me for any details about their child's moment to moment time here with me. It's a trust thing maybe. I don't feel the need to account for our every moment and they don't expect/want that from me. They know that my time and attention are focused on their child, not on them. And it's all good with all of the families!

I had a really long response to this...but I'm not going to post it because I don't want to argue with an unregistered guest.
I asked for advice for a name of an article, not your criticism on how I treat my parents/kids, but thanks...

As for everyone else, thanks so much for the ideas!! I think I am going to think on it overnight and finish my newsletter tomorrow during naptime!!
How about:
This is how we do it

september super stars

kids that rock

am I heading in the right direction? LOL I am just trying to be of some help.
gkids09 07:35 PM 08-31-2011
YES!! That's exactly the right track.
Thanks! I'm liking all of these ideas.. May change the name every month for a while.. Lol
Y'all are awesome!!
Meeko 07:53 PM 08-31-2011
Marvelous Milestones!

The Week In Words

Day Care Diary

Daycare Daily

Just to Let you Know...

or if you're feeling in a bad mood.............
"The Newsletter The State Forces Me To Give You"
SilverSabre25 08:11 PM 08-31-2011
Look What We Can Do!
SilverSabre25 08:12 PM 08-31-2011
And, Miss Unregistered, most of us probably put as much--if not more--time and effort into pleasing the kids, too. kthxbye
gkids09 08:15 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
And, Miss Unregistered, most of us probably put as much--if not more--time and effort into pleasing the kids, too. kthxbye

I need a like button.
Meeko 08:25 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
I need a like button.
Oh me too!!!
Abigail 09:01 PM 08-31-2011
If you want to keep the title the same throughout the year, I would call it
KUDOS
or Kid Kudos

From Dictionary.com....
noun ( used with a singular verb )
honor; glory; acclaim: He received kudos from everyone on his performance.
Blackcat31 08:25 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Yes, I agree there are alot of differing approaches on this forum between all the providers. Some choose to run their businesses as being a part of their whole family...sharing on social network sites, BBQ'ing together, inviting and attending kids' birthday parties, etc. Others run their businesses as ONLY a business and never let any thing from their personal or business lives mix or overlap. That is the beauty of being self employed I guess.

However, in this particular case the OP is mandated by her licensing laws to do a family newletter so she has no choice. Whether she agrees with the idea or not.

It is nice that you are able to run your business as you do with such an open line of communication that you do not have the need or rules telling you that you must do a newletter. Again, that is what works for you. Which is super! You are lucky enough to have found parents that have the same needs and ideas about child care that you do.

With that being said, it isn't fair for you to assume however, that just because some providers choose to use Facebook or newletters or do photos or whatever, that they are NOT focusing on the children. Perhaps these providers are actually doing double duty and focusing on BOTH the children AND the parents. Which is fantastic that they are able offers such a wide area of service to families.

Caring for children does not require knowledge of ONLY what happens during the day on your watch but it includes knowing and celebrating the whole child. This means the child's life in and out of care and ALL the people in his/her life. This is responsive and respectable care.

I think unregistered posters sometimes get unnecessary flack when they post on this board but please try to re-read what you wrote and see how it came across as accusatory (as if provider's are focusing on something other than the children) and how if you have a ligitimate question or comment, it can be said in a more positve manner. Working with young children, you should be well versed on how to say things in an understanding, non-judgemental and non-biased manner.
godiva83 10:24 AM 09-01-2011
Blackcat31 you responded with such poise - as per usual. Kudos ;o)
I really like the "Marvelous Milestones"
I might add a section like that to my monthly news letter.
Sorry to hi- jack but can I ask what you usually put in your newsletters... I posted a thread awhile ago, but I am always looking for new ideas.
I just added "songs and books we Love"
Maybe I should include a good craft or recipe
MissAnn 10:31 AM 09-01-2011
"I had a really long response to this...but I'm not going to post it because I don't want to argue with an unregistered guest.
I asked for advice for a name of an article, not your criticism on how I treat my parents/kids, but thanks... "

I agree! My parents love the fact they can log into facebook and see pictures of their child's day. They love when I quote the funny or interesting things that go on during the day. Don't knock it unless you try it. Here in TN we are assessed and communication is a big part of that....why? Because the more you communicate with parents in as many ways as possible......the better. Sorry I don't have advice for your article.....but I did lend support for your awesome willingness to please parents!
momofsix 10:32 AM 09-01-2011
[quote=Meeko60;141922]or if you're feeling in a bad mood.............
"The Newsletter The State Forces Me To Give You"[/QUOTE]

LOVE this one!!!
Maybe it's my mood today, but that one almost made me spit out my drink!

OP, does your daycare have a name that you could play off of?
laundrymom 11:30 AM 09-01-2011
I try to focus on one child per month. Front center pic and a cute title like Super Q to the rescue!! Then a write up on him. That is more for him and his family to enjoy. His fav color, veg, song, etc.
The next month I write, our Princess Buttercup is crawling!!! And include a pic and her little speel.

Then in other sections I use, FALLING INTO AUTUMN
BLOSSOMING INTO SPRING
SUPER SEPTEMBER
BOOOOOFEST IN OCTOBER
COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTmas
Crealtive Corner
Miss X's wish list ( where I post wanted items, grocery bags, dead batteries for recycling, Lysol wipes, printer ink, etc)
Super snacks for growing bodies.

Etc.
daycare 11:36 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I try to focus on one child per month. Front center pic and a cute title like Super Q to the rescue!! Then a write up on him. That is more for him and his family to enjoy. His fav color, veg, song, etc.
The next month I write, our Princess Buttercup is crawling!!! And include a pic and her little speel.

BLOSSOMING INTO SPRING
SUPER SEPTEMBER
BOOOOOFEST IN OCTOBER
COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTmas
Crealtive Corner
Miss X's wish list ( where I post wanted items, grocery bags, dead batteries for recycling, Lysol wipes, printer ink, etc)

Etc.
I love this...super cute... I am looking at my old newsletter and they are super boring....lol Perhaps why parents didnt really take to them! hahah

I think its really exciting to feature a different child each month.
gkids09 11:51 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
Blackcat31 you responded with such poise - as per usual. Kudos ;o)
I really like the "Marvelous Milestones"
I might add a section like that to my monthly news letter.
Sorry to hi- jack but can I ask what you usually put in your newsletters... I posted a thread awhile ago, but I am always looking for new ideas.
I just added "songs and books we Love"
Maybe I should include a good craft or recipe
I am liking Marvelous Milestones too...I think I will use that, at least for this month! haha!
Not hi-jacking, it's related... I usually put my themes for the month, birthdays of kids and how old they'll be, important notes for parents, and since I am totally re-doing my daycare, I'm totally re-doing my newsletter this month too. I am adding a craft section every month, and am also putting my...well, I guess Marvelous Milestones back in. The newsletter looks different, so maybe parents will look at it. I put a secret sentence in the middle of one of my little article things 2 months ago. Something like "Mention this sentence before Aug 1 and get a free day of child care in the month of August." and only got TWO parents' responses. I then posted it on Facebook, and several asked me about it. Too late then of course, but I felt good letting them know that reading the newsletter sometimes LITERALLY pays!

Originally Posted by MissAnn:
"I had a really long response to this...but I'm not going to post it because I don't want to argue with an unregistered guest.
I asked for advice for a name of an article, not your criticism on how I treat my parents/kids, but thanks... "

I agree! My parents love the fact they can log into facebook and see pictures of their child's day. They love when I quote the funny or interesting things that go on during the day. Don't knock it unless you try it. Here in TN we are assessed and communication is a big part of that....why? Because the more you communicate with parents in as many ways as possible......the better. Sorry I don't have advice for your article.....but I did lend support for your awesome willingness to please parents!
Haha, thanks!! I am from TN too! I was under the impression that if the parents weren't pleased, they'd take their kid out of your care. Shame on me!

Originally Posted by momofsix:

OP, does your daycare have a name that you could play off of?
No, not really...I thought about that...I don't want to post my daycare name just in case parents lurk..I have thought about trying to play with the name to come up with a title but nothing worked!

Originally Posted by laundrymom:

BLOSSOMING INTO SPRING
SUPER SEPTEMBER
BOOOOOFEST IN OCTOBER
COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTmas
Crealtive Corner

Etc.
Those are GREAT ideas!! I think I will call my new craft newsletter area the Creative Corner, if that's alright with you!

Yall are all seriously the best!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!
Abigail 10:19 PM 09-01-2011
I really like your reading really pays for a free day of child care. How exactly did you do that? I might use something like that!
gkids09 07:49 AM 09-02-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I really like your reading really pays for a free day of child care. How exactly did you do that? I might use something like that!

I just put a sentence in the middle of one of my articles, that didn't have anything to do with the article. "Mention this sentence to me before August 1 to get a free day of daycare credited to your child's enrollment." It was stuck in the middle like that because I wanted to see who actually read it.
Tags:newsletter
Reply Up